• Niko to Colorado State

#1144  by Bootie
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:01 pm
Wow, I thought he left us for something special about Drake or the region there as a long-term thing.
 #1145  by fufanatic
What. In. The. World. I'm not sure how this makes any sense other than money. Similar conferences, but being the No. 1 sport at Drake would be better than being No. 2 at best at CSU. Plus you've already started that rebuilding process at Drake after a really nice year one. Also moving away from family one year after supposedly moving to Iowa to be closer to family. Bizarre all the way around.
furpop16, FU69 liked this
 #1147  by CharlieFU
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:18 pm
Don’t understand it.

As far as Drake goes, he had a good year with a bunch of seniors. Maybe now that the cubbard is really bare, he got out while the getting was good. Figured it would go down a good bit before getting better.

Hope there is more to it than we know. Otherwise I don’t like the “optics” of this.
furpop16, FU69 liked this
 #1148  by raleigh fan
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:41 pm
Two things...he is still 200 miles closer to home than Greenville...also he was at CSU for 6 years before he came to us...get a feeling that was about the only place he would move to from Drake at this point. And MWC>MVC.
 #1149  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:47 pm
Not overly surprised . . . it was apparent to me that the move to Drake was strictly business, which is clearly the case with the move now to Colorado State. He's acting rationally in trying to maximize his earnings. Leaving Drake after 1 year is not ideal from an optics standpoint, but it's a clear upgrade for him.
 #1151  by fufanatic
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:04 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:47 pm
Not overly surprised . . . it was apparent to me that the move to Drake was strictly business, which is clearly the case with the move now to Colorado State. He's acting rationally in trying to maximize his earnings. Leaving Drake after 1 year is not ideal from an optics standpoint, but it's a clear upgrade for him.
You certainly may be right, but I don't see where it's a clear upgrade from him other than location because I feel like most would agree Colorado > Iowa. Also not knowing money situation. That would be helpful I'm sure. Drake hasn't been good in forever, but I can't remember a time Colorado State was particularly dominating in the NCAA Tourney. When looking at the conference, coincidentally the two leagues are meeting in Sweet 16 right now. In the last decade in the MVC in addition to Loyola this year, Illinois State has been really good, Northern Iowa has been really good, Valpo has been good, I believe Bradley has been good. Others may have, but I'm blanking right now. In the MWC in addition to Nevada, New Mexico has been really good, San Diego State has been really good, UNLV used to be dominant, I think Boise was good recently. To me, the two leagues are basically equals. He wins at Drake, he could go to major conference. Same at Colorado State. I wonder if behind closed doors he wishes he had stayed at Furman this year, tried to get to NCAAs and then gone to Colorado State when job opened?
 #1152  by Fessor
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:23 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wow, I thought he left us for something special about Drake or the region there as a long-term thing.
Me too. Apparently, his leaving us was any port in a storm. Jumped at the first opportunity.

Wow, pretty low integrity thing to jump from Drake so soon. Was he even there 12 months?
 #1153  by Fessor
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 pm
raleigh fan wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:41 pm
Two things...he is still 200 miles closer to home than Greenville...also he was at CSU for 6 years before he came to us...get a feeling that was about the only place he would move to from Drake at this point. And MWC>MVC.
All of those motivations are selfish. He just recruited a bunch of kids to Drake.

The only justification is that the person who hired him to Drake is gone. Otherwise, low integrity, sleazy move.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
fufanatic, FU69 liked this
 #1154  by Flagman
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:53 pm
Hope he’ll be happy in Colorado. My guess is he’ll be there a while. No one is going to take a risk on him. Leaving two schools the way he left will give him the wrong reputation.
FU69 liked this
 #1156  by Paladin91
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 pm
If he wins, someone else will hire him away from Co. State. He's certainly out for himself though, definitely not the players.
 #1158  by Paul C
 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:42 pm
Colo St is a $1mm/yr job. More than double what he was making at Drake.

Gotta make hay while the sun shines. And Drake was going to suck next year so he was going to be 3 years or more from another opportunity.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.