• Brick by brick ... FU's New AD

#14983  by furpop16
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:01 pm
That win last year at 'Nova. Did that play some role in this? Maybe resulted in Donnelly giving the job a more serious look? Ya gotta wonder, gang: https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2019/7/ ... urman.aspx

This is a GREAT day for Furman athletics in general - and obviously for MBB in particular. Congrats all the way around.
FUKA61, fufanatic, FU03times and 1 others liked this
 #15008  by furpop16
 Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:43 pm
Over in the Football thread, our friend apaladin has been lowering expectations for our new AD, where he posts:

Let's just say this that fundraising at FU will be a lot tougher than at Villanova. I don't think anyone can argue that. Clempson dominates the Greenville market like no other in the country. I don't think anyone can argue that either. I am sure JD will do a great job and wish him good luck.

I don’t know that I’d concede that, especially in regards to basketball, where KenPom last has Clemson at 36 and FU at 59. That’s within striking distance, marketing-wise. Especially when nobody thinks of Clemson as a “basketball school”.

I’m not arguing the merits & traditions of FU football, or the legacy of soccer or women’s golf, or even the promise of lacrosse. But bang-for-the-buck for the foreseeable future I’d argue SoCon Basketball in general and Furman basketball in particular are good products for an underserved market. There’s money there, and I’d bet that was top-of-mind bringing in a rainman from Villanova.
FUKA61 liked this
 #15010  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:36 pm
I was not lowering expectations. I am very happy with the hire and expect JD to do great things. I was just saying it will be tougher to raise funds at FU than Villanova if for no other reasons Villanova has won 2 NC's. If Furman won a NC I expect fundraising would get a lot easier. Fund raising at FU has been and and always will be a challenge. That's all I was saying. Again very excited about the hire.
Affirm, furpop16 liked this