• Wofford and the Finals

#12142  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:30 pm
Jasper wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm
I remember McKillop when he coached Long Island Lutheran in Brookville on the North Shore's "Gold Coast". That's Great Gatsby country, BTW. Not only did he win a ton of state championships in the private school division but he also played an OOC schedule against some of the best teams in the country and did very well. Quite a few big time college players came out of that program and I even recall a few decent pros. A local kid, he played at Chaminade HS which now produces some of the best lacrosse talent in the country. McKillop clearly understood the prime directive in coaching early on. Recruit better players than the other guy and you will win. I am sure he is being well compensated by Davidson and with camps, shoe contracts, etc. added on, he is making 7 figures and has a great life style. Unless Daddy Warbucks (Richardson) comes up with some long green, I would expect WC Coach Young will be plying his trade at a much higher profile college next season, especially if he makes a little noise in the dance. Hey, good for him. That's what gets you up in the morning.
Mike Young is not leaving.
I assume you have specific knowledge of that, affirm, and I defer to that. I am speculating that he will be getting (or already has) some pretty hefty offers from big time programs that would be very hard to refuse.
 #12143  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:38 am
It is merely my opinion. Hope you don’t mind. He is loyal to WC. That loyalty will be enhanced by WC actions. My opinion is subject to change in certain possible circumstances such as learning that Wake Forest or Clemson or Va Tech or Richmond is offering him a contract worth >$10 million over 5 years.
 #12147  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:38 am
It is merely my opinion. Hope you don’t mind. He is loyal to WC. That loyalty will be enhanced by WC actions. My opinion is subject to change in certain possible circumstances such as learning that Wake Forest or Clemson or Va Tech or Richmond is offering him a contract worth >$10 million over 5 years.
I don't mind at all. I thought perhaps you knew the man or were aware of circumstances that would keep him at Wofford. I think that if WC makes some noise in the tournament by winning a couple of games - which I think is very possible if they get a fair seed - Young will get the kind of offers to which you refer. I do not think he would leave WC for another mid major but an ACC school waving lots of green is a whole nuther thing. Guess we will see in a few weeks. He is a good recruiter and an excellent game manager who I believe has the capacity to move up the ladder successfully.
 #12164  by CharlieFU
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:26 pm
Young has offers presumably 4-5 years ago. For whatever reason, he stayed. Perhaps an indicator that he is for the long haul.

Nevertheless, I’m guessing their AD is NOT comfortable right now.
 #12167  by gman
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:38 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Young has offers presumably 4-5 years ago. For whatever reason, he stayed. Perhaps an indicator that he is for the long haul.

I don’t know. The alternative could be having to keep a coach with a losing record. Something tells me he is having a good time. My motto is to enjoy the present. I hope he is doing that.
 #12174  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 pm
gman wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

I don’t know. The alternative could be having to keep a coach with a losing record. Something tells me he is having a good time. My motto is to enjoy the present. I hope he is doing that.
I don’t understand. Are you saying Coach Young has a losing record?
 #12189  by gman
 Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 am
Jasper wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:49 pm
gman wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:

I don’t understand. Are you saying Coach Young has a losing record?
Know, I am saying the AD could be facing having to deal with a coach that is losing. Having a really good coach for a team that is going to be highly seeded should be comfortable.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.