• (23-4) Wofford @ (22-5) Furman Feb. 23rd (Worst Officiated Game in SoCon History)

#10776  by fufanatic
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:07 pm
Ummmm, please don't tell Wofford is claiming they will make a run to the final four, please tell me they posted this based off some other source lol............. Who are they quoting???

I think Bleacher Report is just trying to call its shot and predict the next Loyola or VCU. There's a reason that doesn't happen every year, and Magee is no Steph Curry.
 #10778  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:42 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 am
If anyone that does not have tix wants to fork out some major dough for this game:
https://www.vividseats.com/ncaab/furman ... 53863.html

https://www.stubhub.com/furman-paladins ... =price+asc

https://seatgeek.com/wofford-terriers-a ... pm/4532772

Some tix have been selling for $100+ each on the secondary market for this game
No seats left on seat geek, 7 on Stubhub and 6 on vividseays starting at $127 so yes some of these have sold.
 #10781  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 pm
Woff fans don't post much on their message board, but when they do you kinda gotta wonder about them a bit lol
Latest from the Woff board:
"After watching Duke-UNC last night, I felt we would beat Duke by 15 or more, and probably squeak out a win against UNC."
 #10782  by tya1
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:35 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 pm
Woff fans don't post much on their message board, but when they do you kinda gotta wonder about them a bit lol
Latest from the Woff board:
"After watching Duke-UNC last night, I felt we would beat Duke by 15 or more, and probably squeak out a win against UNC."
I hope someone over there pointed out that Wofford DID play UNC this year - at Wofford - and the outcome of that game.
 #10787  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:04 pm
tya1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:57 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:02 pm
... What I am concerned about is Furman’s team “letting Wofford get into Furman’s head” due to Wofford’s basketball success this year so far and due even to Wofford’s basketball comparative success generally over the entire last 10 years. What do they have now, 4 NCAA tourney seasons in the decade? Time for Furman to start catching up.
Wofford is winless in Timmons against the Paladins the past three years. The Paladin victories have been by progressively larger margins - 1, 9, 24 points. None of the current Paladin players has lost to Wofford here. Why would we be intimidated playing at home?
Wofford has a good team. They might win. Nobody will be in anybody' s head for past success.
So we can beat Wofford at our place. 3 seasons consecutively. But in the important games (those that get you a SoCon championship and NCAA bid), Wofford is significantly ahead of Furman. We have won battles but lost wars.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fessor liked this
 #10788  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:14 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:46 am
Over the last 3+ seasons....since the start of the ‘15-‘16 campaign....

Furman overall 87-43 (SoCon 49-20)
Wofford overall 75-51 (SoCon 47-22)

I don’t get why some think we should be intimidated. Bizarre.
Again, I get that Furman has a better overall W-L record vs all competition. But I still say Wofford has succeeded in the more important games (those leading to Southern Conference championships, NCAA tourney appearances) over the last 10 years. Not bizarre to say that Furman might be intimidated by Wofford. I do recognize that it is possible that we WILL beat Wofford this Saturday AND beat them again in the SoCon tourney. I hope that possibility becomes reality.
 #10800  by FUBALL5510
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:54 pm
affirm wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Again, I get that Furman has a better overall W-L record vs all competition. But I still say Wofford has succeeded in the more important games (those leading to Southern Conference championships, NCAA tourney appearances) over the last 10 years. Not bizarre to say that Furman might be intimidated by Wofford. I do recognize that it is possible that we WILL beat Wofford this Saturday AND beat them again in the SoCon tourney. I hope that possibility becomes reality.
"Comparisons are the thief of joy"

It seems like FU fans think about Wofford's success over the last 10 years more than the FU players do. Nobody on this team has seen Wofford win the SoCon tournament, and they certainly don't look at them as some sort of powerhouse. Outside of Matt and AB, this team probably hasn't even been paying attention to Furman basketball for the last 5 years let alone 10.

If anything, I think UNCG would have a more compelling argument on the "intimidation factor" than Wofford. But, I think we are just going to have to disagree on this one. Definitely going to be a tough game, and looking forward to watching in person!
 #10822  by fufanatic
 Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 am
FUBALL5510 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:54 pm
affirm wrote:
Paul C wrote:

It seems like FU fans think about Wofford's success over the last 10 years more than the FU players do.
Well yeah ... that's sorta the point of being an irrational diehard fan. You pull super hard for your team and pull nearly as hard for your rivals to flop. And when they succeed, it grinds your gears.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.