• ETSU @ Furman (Feb. 19th 6pm)

#66857  by Davemeister
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:26 am
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:50 pm
I was told that with the renovation they were going to “downsize the seating capacity” by a reliable source. Does anyone really know the plans here?

In both football and basketball I think the best way to have more fans will be to WIN.

I kinda think that's what we are doing - in both sports.

Whatever size we build is what we are going to be stuck with for many years to come. Are we building for NOW or for the FUTURE.

Go big or go home.
 #66860  by Affirm
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:39 pm
Gotta love/hate channel 4. Julie spent a minute and 55 seconds on SC women and 31 seconds on FU men. :shock:
Why should you hate them for covering the team that has won 33 consecutive games, is ranked #1, and is going to win the national championship with some games in Greenville between now and that?
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #66861  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:56 am
"An ESPNU national audience watched as the Bucs lost by four points or fewer for the 10th time this season." This fact reinforces how good it was to win last night. ETSU is a good SoCon team. Our Paladins played with a lot of energy the entire game. Have to admit that I am a little concerned that opposing coaches are going back to watch film of our earlier games to plan one on one offensive schemes under the basketball. They also seem to finally realize they have to stop Bothwell from driving to his left. I have no doubt our coaching staff will make the necessary adjustments in order for us to win the next 5 games. Go Paladins!
Last edited by Roundball on Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #66862  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:00 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Gotta love/hate channel 4. Julie spent a minute and 55 seconds on SC women and 31 seconds on FU men. :shock:
Why should you hate them for covering the team that has won 33 consecutive games, is ranked #1, and is going to win the national championship with some games in Greenville between now and that?
As bad as I want to admit it, you are right. Dawn Staley is a national superstar for a team that is drawing over 10,000 fans a game. Most of their games are on national tv. It would be sports coverage malpractice to not cover them. Heck, they are getting more coverage than Clemson's or Carolina's mens teams too. I am grateful for any coverage we get. I guarantee that when we win the regular season title and then win the SoCon tournament, we will see plenty of coverage.
Last edited by Roundball on Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #66864  by Affirm
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:17 am
I believe the FU men’s team will win the SoCon Tournament.
I believe that USC women’s team will win the SEC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #66867  by purplehorse123
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:06 am
I dislike Sunday games more than I dislike Wednesday games. Much prefer Thursday and Saturday but I believe the coaches and players prefer Wednesday/Saturday. It is what it is.
 #66868  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Don’t hate them. SC has the best players and the best team. The problem I have is they have very little to no competition. Sunday was a rare occasion when they had a close game. Maybe 5 teams in the whole country belong on the same court. So naturally 90% of their games are not going to be competitive. Even in their own keague there is very little competition. Womens basketball is not like mens to say the least. Just not enough great womens players to go around.
 #66869  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:31 am
When Haynes faked injury at the end of the game to avoid shootng the foul shots, what is the ruling? In the past I think the opposing coach got to choose who shoots the free throws?
 #66871  by FUBeAR
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:47 am
apaladin wrote:
When Haynes faked injury at the end of the game to avoid shootng the foul shots, what is the ruling? In the past I think the opposing coach got to choose who shoots the free throws?
GIFY…

RULE 8

Free Throw

Section 1. Free Throw
Art. 1. A free throw is the privilege given a player to score one point by an unhindered try for goal from within the free-throw semicircle and behind the free-throw line.
Art. 2. A multiple free throw is a succession of free throws attempted by the same team.
Art. 3. A free throw starts when the ball is placed at the disposal of the free- thrower.
Art. 4. A free throw ends when:
a. The try is successful;
b. It is certain the try will not be successful;
c. The try touches the floor or any player; or
d. The ball becomes dead.

Section 2. Bonus Free Throws
Art. 1. A bonus free throw is a second free throw that is awarded for each common foul, including loose ball fouls, committed by a player of a team, beginning with the seventh team foul in a half, provided that the first free throw for the foul is successful. (Exception: A player-control or team-control foul, which is not a loose ball foul.)
Art. 2. A bonus free throw is also a second free throw that is awarded for each common foul, including loose ball fouls committed by a player of a team, beginning with the team’s 10th team foul in a half. From this point, two free throws shall be awarded for each common foul, including loose ball fouls (except a player-control or team-control foul, which is not a loose ball foul), regardless of whether the first free throw is successful. (Exception: A player- control or team-control foul, which is not a loose ball foul.)
Art. 3. The team-foul total shall consist of a combination of personal fouls (includes player-control fouls) and Class A technical fouls.

Section 3. Who Attempts
Art. 1. Personal fouls—The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted by the offended player, unless one of the conditions of Article 2 or 3 of this section are met.
Art 2. The free throw(s) that were to be attempted by the offended player shall be attempted by that player’s substitute unless no substitute is available, in which case any team member shall attempt the free throw(s) when the offended player is disqualified or ejected or must withdraw because of blood or has blood on the uniform or person, or when a player is withdrawn because of a lost, displaced or irritated contact lens.
Art. 3. When an injured player is unable to attempt a free throw try(s), the head coach from the opposing team shall select one of the four remaining players on the playing court to attempt the free throw try(s).When a foul is flagrant and the injured player is unable to attempt a free throw try(s), the injured player's head coach shall select any player or team member to attempt the free throw try(s). When the injured player is bleeding, the head coach may: 1) provide a substitute for the bleeding player who will attempt the free throw try(s), or 2) request a timeout and attempt to remedy the blood situation. (See Rule 3-6.3.f )
Art. 4. Technical fouls—The free throw(s) awarded because of any technical foul may be attempted by any player or eligible team member on the offended team, who shall be designated by the head coach or captain of the offended team. However, the same player shall shoot both free throws.
 #66872  by FUBF24
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:50 am
apaladin wrote:
I don't know he looked pretty hurt to me, thought it was strange that he came back in at the end but I suppose he really wanted to play the last minutes
 #66875  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:29 pm
FUBF24 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:50 am
apaladin wrote:
I don't know he looked pretty hurt to me, thought it was strange that he came back in at the end but I suppose he really wanted to play the last minutes
Good acting job. Came back in shortly and no evidence he was hurt.
 #66878  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:53 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:21 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:09 pm
"sell out" was 2179. Cant be right. There was a game this year with 2500
Students didn’t show. Thanks to the ones that did,
Not making an excuse for the students. With it being Presidents’ Day tomorrow, it’s possible many were away.
I often found myself cramming on Sunday evenings to catchup on schoolwork I didn’t do all weekend when I was at Furman. Not surprised at all by lack of students at this game.
 #66879  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:06 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:06 am
I dislike Sunday games more than I dislike Wednesday games. Much prefer Thursday and Saturday but I believe the coaches and players prefer Wednesday/Saturday. It is what it is.
Would this game be on ESPNU if we played on Saturday? I doubt it. While attendance in Timmons was lower we got national coverage. I have a friend living in Denver text me about seeing Furman on TV in a bar. That’s huge.
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #66880  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
He did not fake an injury. He had a cramp. I spoke to him after the game as he walked off the court. He was the last ETSU player to leave, as he was speaking to every Furman player and coach. More importantly, our players and coaches were seeking him out. That young man played hard the entire game, and I told him so. The reaction to his fall from a few Furman fans was embarrassing. Even our own players, especially Slawson, heard the fans and asked them to shut up. It’s fans like the handful yesterday that need to stay home. It was a shameful display. By the way, if anyone bothered to notice, he was limping as he left the court. I am glad that many fans clapped for him as he got up and walked to the bench where his trainers worked on the leg.
FUBF24, hypercycloid, din23 and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.