• 2023 SoCon Basketball Tournament (March 3-6 Asheville)

#67569  by cavedweller2
 Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:47 am
Jerry Palm on cbssportsline.com has SoCon as a 2 bid league. He has Furman and Samford in the bracket.
 #67570  by Flagman
 Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:51 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:47 am
Jerry Palm on cbssportsline.com has SoCon as a 2 bid league. He has Furman and Samford in the bracket.
The only way Samford gets in is if they win the tournament.
 #67583  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:56 am
Could someone please direct FUBeAR to the page in the 2022-2023 NCAA Division I Basketball Rulebook where the Southern Conference is designated as a "1 bid league?"
 #67584  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:40 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Could someone please direct FUBeAR to the page in the 2022-2023 NCAA Division I Basketball Rulebook where the Southern Conference is designated as a "1 bid league?"
At-large seeds start at 11, so impossible for an at-large team to be a 14 or 15 seed, he must have accidentally put Samford in as 15 seed where he was suppose to add a different conference.
 #67587  by cavedweller2
 Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:15 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:40 am
FUBeAR wrote:
At-large seeds start at 11, so impossible for an at-large team to be a 14 or 15 seed, he must have accidentally put Samford in as 15 seed where he was suppose to add a different conference.
More than likely that is what happened. When Sammy was in first he had them as a 15 seed.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67624  by Davemeister
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:58 am
Scott Keeler wrote:

Unfortunately, sophomore J.P. Pegues was not recognized despite his transformation into an elite point guard in his first year at the position. With his ability to shut down many opposing teams' leading scoring guards, his speed and a knack for making crucial plays on offense, Pegues has been as big a part of Furman's success as anyone. For the record, he was third member of the second team on my All-SoCon ballot.

No way JP isn't at least Third Team. In February he outplayed every point guard in the league head -to-head.

I would love to see JP win the Tournament MVP award. He is certainly capable of doing it.
Jasper, FU Hoopla, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #67625  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:17 am
Great stuff Scott!
Slawson and Bothwell are great dudes man :D

Regarding Player of the Year:
"The whole team celebrated it, but I kind of had a hole in my gut. ... I wanted to be excited for myself, but I knew Mike was just as deserving of the award as I was," Slawson said. "I knew Mike was happy for me, but I thought about for a long time. I finally just shot him a text saying, 'as far as I'm concerned, this is our award. In my eyes, we will always be co-players of the year.'
"He told me he was excited for me and said, 'let's go win this thing.' "
dornb liked this
 #67637  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:47 pm
As there has been some back & forth discussion about Asheville here on TheUFFP, thought this recent article that someone (a resident of nearby Brevard) just posted on AGS (FCS Nat’l Message Board) might be of interest…and this thread seemed like a relatively relevant place to post it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/popular-s ... s-warn.amp

Of course, as the source is Fox News, those that choose to do so will easily discount the cited statistics and ignore the accompanying commentary of all of the deplorable racist, bigoted, fascist Asheville residents and business owners.
Davemeister liked this
 #67641  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:56 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:47 pm
As there has been some back & forth discussion about Asheville here on TheUFFP, thought this recent article that someone (a resident of nearby Brevard) just posted on AGS (FCS Nat’l Message Board) might be of interest…and this thread seemed like a relatively relevant place to post it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/popular-s ... s-warn.amp

Of course, as the source is Fox News, those that choose to do so will easily discount the cited statistics and ignore the accompanying commentary of all of the deplorable racist, bigoted, fascist Asheville residents and business owners.
That article is bull. Consider the source. Yes, it has been discussed. Either you love the city or hate. Seems there is no middle ground. Asheville wouldn’t hate it any other way. We travel there often, never with any safety issues.
Last edited by Roundball on Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.