Roundball wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:55 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:47 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:39 pm
The silver lining is that CBR’s stock is dropping in a year when the CU and USC jobs may come open. If things were going better I’d be more worried about losing him.
My goodness. Nonsense.
Huh? Martin and Brownell are both on hot seats. I think that’s widely known. CBR has been considered an up and comer and he’s right in their back yard. Why wouldn’t they consider stealing him?
You said Coach Richey’s stock has dropped. That is the nonsense.
My g-o-o-o-o-d-n-e-s-s-s-s
 #49156  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:39 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:38 pm
I like everyone else am a huge CBR. IMHO he is by far the best coach in the SoCon, the state and beyond. He has done FU proud by compiling a very competitive team by doing it the way college sports used to be. Recruiting high school kids and developing them. Very rare these days. Wednesday night ETSU started 5 transfers. Today UTC had 8 transfers. Those 2 teams are not alone in the SoCon. Kudos to CBR. The day he leaves FU will indeed be sad. I hope and prey he does not go to either of the state’s big schools.
“prey”, AND “pray” more
 #49157  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:41 am
Furmanoid wrote:
The silver lining is that CBR’s stock is dropping in a year when the CU and USC jobs may come open. If things were going better I’d be more worried about losing him.
As stated, all he has to do is win SoCon tournament and he’s gone - in a blink of the eye.
 #49158  by RaleighDin
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 am
Are you saying he will be for sure, or that's when the major offers would start rolling in? I'm not naive enough to think he doesn't have aspirations to coach at that level, but he also strikes me as a builder. He's laying the foundation, brick by brick, of a total program transformation. His philosophy (develop the person, grow where you're planted, recruit high schoolers almost exclusively) isn't one that someone would have if they were just looking for the next big offer.

Lastly, let's stop worrying about the future so much - we haven't won anything yet, and I think we'd all love to have the problem of trying to keep a socon winning coach from leaving! Enjoy the ride, these are the good ole days 8-)
apaladin, dornb, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #49159  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:33 am
furpop16 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:04 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:27 pm
This whole thread became crazy. Someone reading just this thread could have understandably thought we had lost the game by 32 instead of by 2. I still fear we are going to lose CBR. He can win the SoCon, and when that happens, he’s gone.

Really? REALLY? His "FURther the MAN" program is just schtick until the money appears? The focus on developing quality individuals is just so much talk until his ship comes in? The unbroken streak of graduations is a trifle compared to the opportunities that await in endorsements and accolades?

I can't imagine CBR being happy in a program of street-wise phenoms and "one-and-done"s. I CAN imagine him building Furman basketball into a Southern Gonzaga. There's gotta be more than one Mark Few in this world.
I know your “REALLY, REALLY, just schtick”, etc., was in disagreement with my post.
Now I’m going to disagree back to you but also “agree with you” on a slightly different plane. Imagining us becoming a “Southern Gonzaga” is just too unrealistic for me.
But I CAN imagine CBR building Furman basketball, if given proper support, into one or more of the following:
1. The South Carolina version of Davidson in men’s basketball - Davidson has 8 NCAA appearances in the 21st Century so far (in addition to greatness in the 20th Century as well).
2. Fully supplanting Wofford in South Carolina men’s basketball - Wofford has 5 NCAA appearances in the 21st Century so far.
3. The South Carolina version of Richmond in men’s basketball in regard to Richmond’s 3 NCAA appearances in the 21st Century so far.
4. The 2022-2031 (10-years) version of “Furman basketball results from 1971-1980” (10 years; 50+ years ago! 😞). when we had 6 NCAA appearances.
Hoping that we can keep CBR for at least another 10 years, even if he will achieve only one-half of ANY ONE of the above wishes, which I fully believe he CAN do if we can keep him.
Fuonetime, furpop16 liked this
 #49160  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:44 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 am
Are you saying he will be for sure, or that's when the major offers would start rolling in? I'm not naive enough to think he doesn't have aspirations to coach at that level, but he also strikes me as a builder. He's laying the foundation, brick by brick, of a total program transformation. His philosophy (develop the person, grow where you're planted, recruit high schoolers almost exclusively) isn't one that someone would have if they were just looking for the next big offer.

Lastly, let's stop worrying about the future so much - we haven't won anything yet, and I think we'd all love to have the problem of trying to keep a socon winning coach from leaving! Enjoy the ride, these are the good ole days 8-)
Yes. AND, hopefully, these (now and the last 7-8 or so years) are still just the beginning stages of the good ole days.
Fuonetime liked this
 #49162  by Fuonetime
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:19 am
We are fortunate to have someone of CBR’s ability and character. We need to support him as much as possible, i..e., attending games, home and away, and cheering like crazy as well as supporting financially the Men’s basketball fund through the Furman Athletic Fund. For what it’s worth 2020 i contribute more to FU basketball fund and FU athletics in general than ever before. God willing I’ll do more this year. We need to encourage the administration to continue to increase their support of the program. The locker room and coaches office renovations are a great start. I hear rumblings of a Timmons renovation. Hope that is true and comes quickly. If we do our part it will be a huge enticement for him to stay. Otherwise, we have built an infrastructure for success for FU BB. I would add a couple of more schools who have achieved BB success on a national scale: Villanova and Xavier. As CBR says, “lets not be small thinkers.” Lets think big and get this done!!

Affirm liked this
 #49163  by Sad Din
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 am
Fuonetime wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:19 am
We are fortunate to have someone of CBR’s ability and character. We need to support him as much as possible, i..e., attending games, home and away, and cheering like crazy as well as supporting financially the Men’s basketball fund through the Furman Athletic Fund. For what it’s worth 2020 i contribute more to FU basketball fund and FU athletics in general than ever before. God willing I’ll do more this year. We need to encourage the administration to continue to increase their support of the program. The locker room and coaches office renovations are a great start. I hear rumblings of a Timmons renovation. Hope that is true and comes quickly. If we do our part it will be a huge enticement for him to stay. Otherwise, we have built an infrastructure for success for FU BB. I would add a couple of more schools who have achieved BB success on a national scale: Villanova and Xavier. As CBR says, “lets not be small thinkers.” Lets think big and get this done!!

yea. It was one game... a good game that could have gone either way! Hopefully after WCU W, we will be proclaiming Dins National Champs again. This Team has all it takes to be the best Team in years. In the broadcast yesterday that Dins were only Team in NCAA with 3 15 pt avg players. Also Hunter was #1 in 3Pts made. There are also pro scouts looking at Slaw.

IDK about u all, but all that is uncharted territory for the Dins! Keep charging and learning!

#49164  by furpop16
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:50 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:59 pm
This loss hurts worse because we would have made a big jump in the net, kenpom etc. UTC prolly won’t be ranked as high next time we play them. CBR pays attention to the Net as he stated such on the Mark Ryan show thursday in an interview on espn upstate. Ryan asked him about how unfair the Net is. He said they had beat a winning team by 9 the night before and dropped 4 spots in the Net. He also stated that maybe Slawson should have laid it up at the end which would have made it a double digit win which the Net likes.

This morning appears we've held our position according to Sagarin, and improved in Massey, Kenpom, and ESPN BPI. And we've made our biggest jump in the NET (from 110 to 101) since our conference opening win against Samford.

Maybe the trick is to simply beat the spread?
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #49165  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:54 pm
Back to the last shot. That is a very tough shot. Not your typical layup. Coming from the side trying to use the backboard is hard. Very easy to overshoot because of the angle. Prolly should have just went straight to the rim. Going fast and time running out it was a tough shot. Should have never gone to the corner unless it was one of the other 4. Would have loved for any of the other 4 to have taken a 3 just to go for the win and not OT. It is what it is. One thing is UTC is beatable without Baptiste. If he comes back maybe not. Move on to WCU.
 #49166  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:00 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:55 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
My goodness. Nonsense.
Huh? Martin and Brownell are both on hot seats. I think that’s widely known. CBR has been considered an up and comer and he’s right in their back yard. Why wouldn’t they consider stealing him?
You said Coach Richey’s stock has dropped. That is the nonsense.
You can only be the hot new up and comer for just so long. At some point, if your trajectory flattens before you have any championships, you’re still a good coach to keep an eye on, but you are no longer the safe bet you once seemed to be. I don’t think a record of SoCon seconds and thirds could be sold to USC or Clemson fan bases. They are way too picky for that. And unless we do big time portal magic, next year will almost certainly be a step back.

But we’ll see. We may still win this thing.
 #49167  by PaladinPower
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:08 pm
Winning more than 70% of your games is probably appealing to the fans of USC and Clemson basketball, regardless of it it’s the three in Asheville or not.

I agree that it was not an easy or wide open layup like some may suggest. Smith did an awesome job to rush to Foster without fouling, and it’s too bad he didn’t dunk it.

This team is great and really fun to watch most of the time. That was a high level basketball game. DJB has never won a game against Furman, so I’ll take the odds of/when he is back. Pummel Western.
 #49169  by Affirm
 Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:17 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
My goodness. Nonsense.
Both CU and UofSC (especially Uof SC) have SO much money to spend on a head men’s basketball coach. They could get their choice of many good coaches. Yes, they would CONSIDER CBR, and he WOULD ACCEPT their offer. But there is no reason to think they would not prefer to get a coach who has a bigger name and/or more accomplishments. (Still, I fear some big school, one of them [CU or UofSC] or someone else, is going to take him away from Furman with more money and more prestige and more potential to compete at considerably higher levels of college basketball.)
By the way, UGA’s coach also is on the hot seat, and CBR is in UGA’s back yard as much as in UofSC’s. UGA would consider CBR, and he would accept their offer.
 #49171  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:49 am
One thing I think CBR is frustraed with is the system that determines who gets to the big dance. It of course is controlled by the big conferences just like the CFPlayoffs. That is why you see multiple undeserving, mediocre teams from these same conferences. Sometimes as many as 10 from one conference. Ridiculous. They want to keep all the money to themselves. Plain and simple. BTW, no one has more money than Clempson, including SC.
 #49172  by The Jackal
 Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:27 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:49 am
One thing I think CBR is frustraed with is the system that determines who gets to the big dance. It of course is controlled by the big conferences just like the CFPlayoffs. That is why you see multiple undeserving, mediocre teams from these same conferences. Sometimes as many as 10 from one conference. Ridiculous. They want to keep all the money to themselves. Plain and simple. BTW, no one has more money than Clempson, including SC.
I get less annoyed with the college football playoff than the NCAA tournament.

There are only two or three (sometimes) really good teams in college football that have a prayer of winning the national title. Who the committee selects to sacrifice at the alter of those two teams is sort of irrelevant to me.

If the SoCon could just consistently keep a door open to two teams in the NCAAs, that would massively change the perception of the conference. It's probably one of those doors someone's just going to have to break down one year.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.