• FU @ Auburn - Dec. 5

#22378  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:48 pm
I was surprised he didn't play more in the second half. He hit everything he shot in the first half. Looked like he was playing hard on D too.
tim, apaladin liked this
 #22380  by tim
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 am
I was expecting Beeker to play a little with all the inside foul trouble
 #22382  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:15 am
tim wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:07 am
I was expecting Beeker to play a little with all the inside foul trouble
He wasn't there. Family matter.
tim liked this
 #22383  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:27 am
purplehorse wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 pm
Proud of the team. Most everybody contributed. Should help us down the road. I will take it as a moral victory.

Slawson 0-0 shooting and 1 rebound. I would start Bothwell. Slawson for whatever reason is underperforming right now.

May be the worst call I have ever seen. Why have replay if you are not going to get an OBVIOUS call correct.

Two missed late FT in regulation by two good FT shooters (Mounce and Gurley). Otherwise we win.

Foul trouble of course hurt. Mounce has got to be smarter on his 4th foul.

Great effort by Furman. Proud of the Dins.
We missed 4 or 5 point blank shots in the last 3 minutes too. Just so many missed opportunities. Unforced turnovers, can't get the ball inbounds, but stiil had a great opportunity to win. We really had a chance to blow the game open in the second half but kept shooting ourselves in the foot. Great effort and I hate it for the team and coaches. Could have been our Villanova win for the year. I do feel much better tonight than I did after Monday's game. Need to win the next 3.
 #22389  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:42 am
Just returned from the game. Loud crowd and enjoyable game. My thoughts:

1. Furman played their butts off.

2. We made the calculated decision to try and attack Auburn's big #50. Both of our bigs (Gurley and Mounce) gave up a lot of size to him, but they were both much faster than he was. They could get shots off, but he was just sucking up every rebound.

3. Jordan Lyons was blanketed by Auburn's best player all night. They were going to force someone other than him to beat them.

4. I don't know how long it was, but I feel like Mounce played 20 minutes with four fouls. You could tell he was gassed and kept battling out there.

5. The foul issues and lack of another big man was the primary problem. Auburn started to get on a run because they knew Gurley and Mounce had to play reserved with 4 fouls.

6. I am almost positive I saw that ball deflect off an Auburn player from 50 yards away. I was sitting right behind the pass. The flight of the ball changed.

7. Couldn't be prouder of the team. They played short handed against a really good team in a tough venue and gave them everything they could stand. I thought we had it there for a minute.
FUwolfpacker, MNORM liked this
 #22391  by furpop16
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:59 am
SVP VERY complimentary of the Paladins' effort on SportsCenter: "Furman went down to The Plains and played GREAT against Auburn, tonight ...". Regarding the tip: "That's a tough, tough call against Furman (sidekick "Stanford" Steve Coughlin muttering 'uh mmm, mmm'); again, played very, very well. Could've gotten the victory."

Good press, great effort, my heart still aches for the guys.
hypercycloid liked this
 #22398  by furpop16
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:57 am
Auburn coach Bruce Pearl's postgame briefing:

@ 0:24 - "I got out-coached tonight."

@4:35 - "Look, it took a couple of guys playing really well to win that game, now. Look, that team did beat Villanova, last year. They did lose by five at Tennessee ... and nobody wants to play 'em. I'm just telling' ya."

#22399  by furpop16
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:09 am
Tweet from Brooks Childress (Auburn's Dan Scott):

dornb liked this
 #22405  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:00 am
gman wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:45 am
Funny reading the Auburn board. They think the refs were against them. https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/1 ... /#comments
The Auburn fans were giving that ref crew the business all evening. At times, the booing was louder than the cheering.

I think both sides where dissatisfied with the refereeing last night. As I told the Auburn fans around me, there was zero chance that that an SEC crew, reffing an SEC team, on an SEC court was somehow in the bag for Furman.
 #22406  by Jasper
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:09 am
tya1 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 pm
Proud of the effort tonight. A few tough calls went against us but that wasn't the deciding factor. We just didn't make the one or two plays on offense that we needed to make.

We need to play a little smarter on defense. We picked up a few unnecessary fouls by reaching that just weren't smart.

I hope this is a game that inspires Pugh. If he can play like this on a regular basis that would be huge for the season. We really need some scoring punch off the bench.
Pugh doesn't need more inspiration. What he needs is more playing time. He is the best pure shooter we have.
MNORM liked this
 #22411  by furmandad
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am
Agree we need another (a) big body in the rotation. Don't know why Pugh was on the bench after his successful 1st Half. Refs were pathetic. Auburn over the top/on our backs all night. Lyons was absent on offense and his man blew by him defensively several times. When the shot's not going, gotta find other ways to contribute. GREAT effort in a next to impossible environment. Go Dins.
 #22412  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am
furmandad wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am
Agree we need another (a) big body in the rotation. Don't know why Pugh was on the bench after his successful 1st Half. Refs were pathetic. Auburn over the top/on our backs all night. Lyons was absent on offense and his man blew by him defensively several times. When the shot's not going, gotta find other ways to contribute. GREAT effort in a next to impossible environment. Go Dins.
I don't think Lyons was absent. He was blanketed by Samir Doughty all afternoon.

It was clear that Auburn was not going to let Lyons get looks at the basket.

We definitely missed Beeker. I think we ended the game with 5 guards on the floor.
 #22420  by fufanatic
 Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:42 am
It's an absolute shame we couldn't finish that one off. The P5 team going 4-25 from 3 is a great recipe for an upset. Bothwell is incredibly clutch. That's multiple games this year that I can remember where he has no problem taking over down the stretch. I know we need scorers off the bench, but we need to get him in the starting lineup. Slawson had 5 fouls in 8 minutes, which is stunning. I think that's the switch I would make and go with a 3 G, 2 F starting lineup for now. Pugh obviously deserves a ton more minutes. I feel much better about our season goals if we even have an 8-man rotation and not 7. Lyons is still way off from 3, but I was pleased to see him drive more and pass up 3's I think he would have taken last year or even earlier this year. Gurley is a beast. Mounce with a Rafferty-like performance (14p, 6r, 1a, 1b, 4s). When's the last time we had 3 players foul out in a game? The reffing was a joke, the last one on Gurley was outrageous. This one will sting for a while. Really hoping we can win the next 5 and enter a monster game at home against ETSU Jan. 4 at 12-3.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:38 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.