• (23-4) Wofford @ (22-5) Furman Feb. 23rd (Worst Officiated Game in SoCon History)

#10739  by fufanatic
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:58 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:44 pm
Magee can shoot off-balance like nobody I've seen. He does often end up on the floor after a shot, but I've never seen him get up looking at the ref for a call or whining bc he didn't get it. I do not believe he does that on purpose just to try and get a foul, I think it's just a result of the way he plays the game. I respect his athleticism.
You may be right, but I think he does it intentionally a lot when a defender is in his face hoping that he'll draw a foul a couple of times a game. The two examples in those highlights are pretty obvious. He's not going to look at the ref each time because he's playing the long game that he'll get a cheap call every now and then. Not illegal, doesn't take away from his talent really, but certainly a little unsavory and annoying as an opposing fan or just someone that likes the game of basketball. No different than a kicker or punter that falls down after being barely touched by a defensive player. Players try to get any little edge they can to win a game.
gman and 1 others liked this
 #10741  by furpop16
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:11 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Bootie wrote:
Magee can shoot off-balance like nobody I've seen. He does often end up on the floor after a shot, but I've never seen him get up looking at the ref for a call or whining bc he didn't get it. I do not believe he does that on purpose just to try and get a foul, I think it's just a result of the way he plays the game. I respect his athleticism.
You may be right, but I think he does it intentionally a lot when a defender is in his face hoping that he'll draw a foul a couple of times a game. The two examples in those highlights are pretty obvious. He's not going to look at the ref each time because he's playing the long game that he'll get a cheap call every now and then. Not illegal, doesn't take away from his talent really, but certainly a little unsavory and annoying as an opposing fan or just someone that likes the game of basketball. No different than a kicker or punter that falls down after being barely touched by a defensive player. Players try to get any little edge they can to win a game.

In which case we're prolly best to stay mum. While unsavory, I distinctly remember Stephen Croone sheepishly admitting to "selling" in his day.
fufanatic liked this
 #10742  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Bootie wrote:

Absolutely he is 100% flopping on purpose to get a foul call, there is no doubt about it, none
If flopping was a tracked stat, Magee would be setting records

And the crowd chants:
Flllloooppperrrrrr Mageeeee
Fllllooopppperrrrr Mageeeee

Has a nice ring to it and suits him well!
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #10743  by fu77fan
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:24 pm
Magee is a great player. I know of no college basketball player that does not sometimes exaggerate in order to get a foul called. If he happens to flop on one or more shots, so be it. I personally would rather give credit where credit is due!
All that being said, and the season is not over, if I were to vote today, I would vote for MR as player of the year in the So Con. That could change based on the remaining games of the season.
gman liked this
 #10749  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:34 pm
Im not sure what to think about this. Sounds like we will be depending on a large, walkup from students and staff. Why don't they put unclaimed tickets on sell an hour before game time? I was hoping for this game to be packed but this coupled with the parking issues sounds like it may not be. Hope Im wrong.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m- ... 0220odwj4u
 #10753  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:34 pm
Im not sure what to think about this. Sounds like we will be depending on a large, walkup from students and staff. Why don't they put unclaimed tickets on sell an hour before game time? I was hoping for this game to be packed but this coupled with the parking issues sounds like it may not be. Hope Im wrong.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m- ... 0220odwj4u
It seems like decision has been made to leave seats open for students to prevent a scenario like we had vs ETSU when supposedly students didn’t show because they thought it was sold out.
 #10758  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:38 pm
Villanova and LSU lost tonight. A little good news is Lipscomb, ranked ahead of us lost to FGCU who is 12-17.

Yep Lipscomb lost, as well as several other bubble teams
Plus Loyola won and they remain the first place team in the MVC

All this bubble business will only matter if we take care of business this Saturday, Beat Woff!!
apaladin liked this
 #10761  by tya1
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:57 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:02 pm
... What I am concerned about is Furman’s team “letting Wofford get into Furman’s head” due to Wofford’s basketball success this year so far and due even to Wofford’s basketball comparative success generally over the entire last 10 years. What do they have now, 4 NCAA tourney seasons in the decade? Time for Furman to start catching up.
Wofford is winless in Timmons against the Paladins the past three years. The Paladin victories have been by progressively larger margins - 1, 9, 24 points. None of the current Paladin players has lost to Wofford here. Why would we be intimidated playing at home?
Wofford has a good team. They might win. Nobody will be in anybody' s head for past success.
 #10772  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 am
If anyone that does not have tix wants to fork out some major dough for this game:
https://www.vividseats.com/ncaab/furman ... 53863.html

https://www.stubhub.com/furman-paladins ... =price+asc

https://seatgeek.com/wofford-terriers-a ... pm/4532772

Some tix have been selling for $100+ each on the secondary market for this game

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.