• AP Poll, Coaches Poll, Mid Major Poll

#7567  by MNORM
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:22 pm
dinsontop wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ium=social

SI not liking our chances on the road at LSU... Nonetheless, still more national press for our team and institution!
Based on how the team has played in 3 of the last 4 games, I can see why he would think this. I like what I saw in Elon Tuesday night. I hope CBR uses that game as a springboard to get keep the team on track offensively.
 #7574  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:05 pm
dinsontop wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ium=social

SI not liking our chances on the road at LSU... Nonetheless, still more national press for our team and institution!
To tell you the truth I would be very happy if we make it to LSU undefeated. I think we will have tough games against Upstate, CSU and UNCW.
 #7577  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:11 pm
Purdue beats #23 Maryland 62-60, after watching those two teams I don't think either was anything special, both looked slow and clunky
Maryland plays Loyola Saturday at home, (#26) Purdue plays at Texas Sunday
 #7585  by MNORM
 Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Purdue beats #23 Maryland 62-60, after watching those two teams I don't think either was anything special, both looked slow and clunky
With #23 Maryland and #24 Nebraska losing in the past couple days, we have an excellent opportunity to make a statement Saturday and move up a few spots.
FUKA61, furpop16, FU69 liked this
 #7594  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:36 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Purdue was only 1 vote behind us.....glad to see that a few in front of us lost because I was worried about Purdue jumping over us and dropping out even if we won both games this week.
MNORM liked this
 #7601  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:11 pm
Paul C wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Purdue was only 1 vote behind us.....glad to see that a few in front of us lost because I was worried about Purdue jumping over us and dropping out even if we won both games this week.

Hopefully Purdue loses at Texas Sunday, otherwise yes they will jump us
 #7682  by FU03times
 Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:11 pm
Paul C wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Hopefully Purdue loses at Texas Sunday, otherwise yes they will jump us
Texas beats Purdue 72-68!
 #7683  by fupaladin01
 Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:48 pm
Purdue losing was big. However, I’m still concerned we may need a little luck to stay ranked.

Good news: #16 KSU, #18 Iowa, #23 Maryland, and #24 Nebraska have all lost a game since last week’s poll.

Bad news: undefeated Houston continues to win, as do 9-1 Cincinnati and Syracuse (27 rank and ACC) . 8-2 Marquette upset #12 Wisconsin and Seton Hall upset #9 UK.

I could see Iowa, MD, and Neb falling out this week, but I could see Marquette and possibly 1-2 of the vote-getters UH and Syracuse sneak in.

I guess realistically I see us remain at #25 but I could believe a drop to 26 with 90-100 votes.
 #7687  by gman
 Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am
Seth Davis on why polls matter, from https://theathletic.com/703559/2018/12/ ... lots-more/
“Last Monday afternoon, Furman coach Bob Richey was sitting in a staff meeting when his cell phone started buzzing incessantly. At first, Richey was concerned something was wrong, but he soon learned that those buzzes represented great news: His team had been installed at No. 25 in The Associated Press poll, the first time in school history the Paladins had been ranked.

Two hours later, Richey met with his players and had each one of them reflect on the journey that led to that moment. “I don’t know if I can accurately describe what this has done for our institution and our university and the city of Greenville,” he told me on Saturday following his team’s 74-60 road win over South Carolina Upstate, which kept the Paladins undefeated and poised to remain ranked for at least one more week. “We’ve had to manage it, to be honest. I thought in the first half today we played with a little bit of pressure. But it has been an affirmation of how we have built this program, and that has been really rewarding.”

It was also an affirmation of the extreme importance of the polls in college basketball. This runs counter to the popular argument that polls are meaningless. I’ve heard people say that we should scrap them altogether, or at least wait a few weeks for the first ranking so voters can have a chance to watch the teams play before setting them in order.

Balderdash, I say. College basketball polls are awesome, and they serve this sport very well. Here are four reasons why:

1. They set the narrative. On Sunday afternoon, Gonzaga played Tennessee on a neutral court in Phoenix. Normally, we wouldn’t expect such a game to garner any attention in the middle of an NFL Sunday, but this contest featured schools that were ranked first and seventh in the AP poll. That lent it a much greater significance, which led a few extra people to check it out while they were channel surfing in search of info about their NFL fantasy teams.

It’s hard for college hoops to get eyeballs during football season, but the polls help to keep casual fans engaged. It lets everyone know the basic storylines in the sport. When we see that there is just one Pac-12 team ranked in the top 25 (No. 20 Arizona State), that tells us something. Nevada is a top-10 team. Maybe people didn’t expect that. Furman is a surprise at No. 25, and Buffalo is rising as well. West Virginia started No. 13, but now it’s unranked. Texas Tech started unranked, but now it’s 13th.

Narratives in sports are just as important as records and stats. Polls aren’t the end-all, be-all, but they do provide a helpful glimpse into the moment.

2. They lend historical context. The computerized model on KenPom.com has become the go-to ranking for good reason, but that site has only been around since 2002. The AP, on the other hand, has been ranking teams as voted on by writers since 1949. So when we say that Furman is ranked for the first time ever in that poll, we are really saying something. Auburn is inching toward a top-five ranking, which if it happens would be the program’s first since January 2000. The polls also give us a way to quantify the long-term dominance of programs such as Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky. It’s one thing to know what’s happening right now, but when we can set those events against 70 years of history, that is extremely useful.

3. They stir debate. When Kentucky lost to Seton Hall at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, the initial conversation wasn’t about what’s “wrong” with the Wildcats or whether John Calipari could work his usual March magic. It was whether this team, which entered the game at No. 9 in the AP poll, should be ranked the following week. (You can see my answer below.)

Indeed, few things stir passion like a good argument over a poll ranking. Anyone who follows my Sunday night Twitter troll feeding knows what I’m talking about. (And if you’re not, why are you even on Twitter?) That weekly exercise grew organically out of my desire for transparency. I would tweet out my AP ballot on Sunday nights, and instantly my mentions got lit up with pissed off fans. Kansas partisans are still ticked at me up for ranking the Jayhawks third behind Duke following the Blue Devils’ loss to Gonzaga over Thanksgiving. Many of the comments on these Hoop Thoughts columns have to do with my weekly top 25. Sure, most of them come from people who are ripping me, but that’s OK. I’m just happy they care.

Anything that gets fans arguing is usually good for that sport. Arguments indicate interest. And I love the way a ballot squashes equivocation. You can’t get away with saying a team is “pretty good” or “underrated.” Put everyone in order, so we can see exactly where you stand. Then the fun can begin.

4. They generate attention for programs that need it. Richey marveled to me that each of his team’s games this week was attended by an Associated Press reporter. That meant the Paladins’ game recaps appeared in newspaper sports sections all around the country. Their results are being linked to the “top 25” page on every sports website. And they are included on the ticker scrolls of the all-sports cable channels. A school can’t buy that kind of publicity.

Being on a bottom line ticker might not be a big deal for Duke and Kansas, but for many of the schools fighting for a piece of this prized real estate, it definitely is. Having a number next to your name means a little more attention, which could bring some more fans to your home games, and maybe give you a little boost in landing that next big recruit. Every little bit helps.

The argument that polls are meaningless because they don’t decide anything falls flat. If anything, the opposite holds true. The reason we can have fun arguing about them is that we know that in the end the debates will be settled where they should be – on the court. So for all the carping and caterwauling, we don’t ever have to get really stressed about this stuff. Face it, fans: College basketball polls are our guilty pleasure. We might as well enjoy them to the fullest.”
FUKA61, FU03times, Fessor and 2 others liked this
 #7689  by furpop16
 Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am
Andy Katz places FU this week at 30 (up from 34) among his "Power 36":

30. Furman (34): The Paladins keep winning at home and on the road. I know the competition isn’t as grand right now, but this team has a chance to put together a lofty record.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... -andy-katz
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.