affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:47 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:30 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:27 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:39 pm
I still say the best move would be to form a brand new league, all fresh blood, best of the best hoops mid-majors anywhere in this vicinity..............

And yes then football is also a free agent to go or stay however they see fits best....................
Interesting.
Have we previously discussed what schools we would hope to be with in this brand new league? Who are they?
Maybe Belmont for one?
Maybe CofC for one?
Who are the good possibilities?

Thread with some suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3725
Thanks!
I now remember that 2/6/2023 post.
Not sure if I made additional suggestions and comments then, but here are some now.
1. Was the omission of Samford just inadvertent?
2. I suggest Iona as an addition to the list.
3. I suggest Hofstra as an addition to the list.
4. I suggest Fairfield as an addition to the list. (FU vs. FU.)
5. I suggest Stetson as an addition to the list.
6. Also, though not on your initial list, you later mentioned Lipscomb and UNCW and W&M
… so your initial list of 20 + those 3 + my latest 4 additions plus maybe also Elon makes
a total of 28.
There could be a very good conference created from those approximately 28 teams, and it could be a conference of 10 teams, or 11, 12, etc., whatever good number and school combination we might be able to get that would be beneficial and practical.

I am not sure schools like Fairfield and Stetson bring any value to a new league at all........................

The idea is to make it a really strong hoops league, not just to solely add new teams for the sake.....................
 #73720  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:51 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:39 am
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
I still say the best move would be to form a brand new league, all fresh blood, best of the best hoops mid-majors anywhere in this vicinity..............

And yes then football is also a free agent to go or stay however they see fits best....................
Interesting.
Have we previously discussed what schools we would hope to be with in this brand new league? Who are they?
Maybe Belmont for one?
Maybe CofC for one?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3725
Thanks!
Not sure if I made additional suggestions and comments then, but here are some now.
6. Also, though not on your initial list, you later mentioned Lipscomb and UNCW and W&M
… so your initial list of 20 + those 3 + my latest 4 additions plus maybe also Elon makes
a total of 28.
There could be a very good conference created from those approximately 28 teams, and it could be a conference of 10 teams, or 11, 12, etc., whatever good number and school combination we might be able to get that would be beneficial and practical.

I am not sure schools like Fairfield and Stetson bring any value to a new league at all........................

The idea is to make it a really strong hoops league, not just to solely add new teams for the sake.....................
I believe Stetson beat FSU and USF this past season, and Stetson finished with a NET Ranking higher than some of the teams on your list. Also, Iona finished with a NET Ranking of 60 this past season. With regard to Fairfield University, I have no argument with you.

Listed below in the order of "end-of-2023 season NET rankings" for each of the 26 schools (each of which has been mentioned as a "candidate for our new conference"), the list also notes as "(FBS) or "nf" the schools which do not play FCS Football.

"The 28 count that I mentioned previously as the count was higher by 2 than it should have been I think due to the fact that I believe I counted Lipscomb and W&W twice. So I think my 26-count includes each school that has been mentioned as a "candidate for our new conference".)

If we are going to create a basketball conference with only schools that play FCS, it could be with only the bolded ones: Furman, Colgate, Fordham, Samford, Stetson, Mercer, Wofford, Bucknell, W&M, and Elon.

It could also include Davidson and Richmond except for the fact that they are already in a higher basketball conference, namely the Atlantic-10.

It could also include the non-football (nf) schools CofC, Iona, Hofstra, Belmont, UNCW, Lipscomb, Winthrop, and Fairfield, if we are OK being with non-football schools; plus also George Mason, Saint Bonaventure, Saint Joseph, and George Washington if we are OK being with non-football schools, except for the fact that they are already in a higher basketball conference, namely the Atlantic-10.

SO ... which non-football schools, if any, would we be willing to accept in our new basketball conference?
... and which Atlantic-10 teams, if any, would be willing to leave the Atlantic-10?

Liberty (FBS)
CofC nf
VCU nf Atlantic-10
Iona nf
Hofstra nf

Furman
Colgate

Belmont nf
Fordham
Samford

George Mason nf Atlantic-10
UNCW nf
Davidson (FCS Pioneer League) Atlantic-10
Lipscomb nf
Richmond Atlantic-10

Stetson (FCS Pioneer League)
Saint Bonaventure nf Atlantic-10
Saint Josephs nf Atlantic-10
George Washington nf Atlantic-10
Mercer

Winthrop nf
Fairfield nf
Wofford
Bucknell
W&M

Elon
 #73722  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:23 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:51 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:39 am
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Interesting.
Maybe Belmont for one?
Maybe CofC for one?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3725
Thanks!
a total of 28.

I believe Stetson beat FSU and USF this past season, and Stetson finished with a NET Ranking higher than some of the teams on your list. Also, Iona finished with a NET Ranking of 60 this past season. With regard to Fairfield University, I have no argument with you.

Listed below in the order of "end-of-2023 season NET rankings" for each of the 26 schools (each of which has been mentioned as a "candidate for our new conference"), the list also notes as "(FBS) or "nf" the schools which do not play FCS Football.

"The 28 count that I mentioned previously as the count was higher by 2 than it should have been I think due to the fact that I believe I counted Lipscomb and W&W twice. So I think my 26-count includes each school that has been mentioned as a "candidate for our new conference".)

If we are going to create a basketball conference with only schools that play FCS, it could be with only the bolded ones: Furman, Colgate, Fordham, Samford, Stetson, Mercer, Wofford, Bucknell, W&M, and Elon.

It could also include Davidson and Richmond except for the fact that they are already in a higher basketball conference, namely the Atlantic-10.

It could also include the non-football (nf) schools CofC, Iona, Hofstra, Belmont, UNCW, Lipscomb, Winthrop, and Fairfield, if we are OK being with non-football schools; plus also George Mason, Saint Bonaventure, Saint Joseph, and George Washington if we are OK being with non-football schools, except for the fact that they are already in a higher basketball conference, namely the Atlantic-10.

SO ... which non-football schools, if any, would we be willing to accept in our new basketball conference?
... and which Atlantic-10 teams, if any, would be willing to leave the Atlantic-10?

Liberty (FBS)
CofC nf
VCU nf Atlantic-10
Iona nf
Hofstra nf

Furman
Colgate

Belmont nf
Fordham
Samford

George Mason nf Atlantic-10
UNCW nf
Davidson (FCS Pioneer League) Atlantic-10
Lipscomb nf
Richmond Atlantic-10

Stetson (FCS Pioneer League)
Saint Bonaventure nf Atlantic-10
Saint Josephs nf Atlantic-10
George Washington nf Atlantic-10
Mercer

Winthrop nf
Fairfield nf
Wofford
Bucknell
W&M

Elon

Stetson was 17-14 and averaged 600 fans per game............. I don't see anything to like about them.......
Plus they have had tons of losing seasons in recent history........

They would make an awful addition ;)
 #73727  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:52 am
You may want to quit talking about “new basketball conference for Furman”. It appears to fail meet enough of our preferences to be at all realistic.
Perhaps you should wait until we've won either won 6 SoCon championships within a 10- year period or 6 more NCAA Tournament victories within a 10-year period or at least one Final Four appearance; and then you could bring up the "new conference" or "different conference" idea again.
 #73736  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:48 am
affirm wrote:
You may want to quit talking about “new basketball conference for Furman”. It appears to fail meet enough of our preferences to be at all realistic.
Perhaps you should wait until we've won either won 6 SoCon championships within a 10- year period or 6 more NCAA Tournament victories within a 10-year period or at least one Final Four appearance; and then you could bring up the "new conference" or "different conference" idea again.

Stetson ain't no Furman, not even close...................

I am guessing you suggested them without even looking at their putrid attendance figure ;)
Not to mention the horrible recent losing history.............
 #73743  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:57 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:48 am
affirm wrote:

Stetson ain't no Furman, not even close...................

I am guessing you suggested them without even looking at their putrid attendance figure ;)
Not to mention the horrible recent losing history.............
The Stetson matter is a distraction and a nuisance from my main point, which is that your talk of creating a new conference for Furman basketball in unfeasible.
But yes, I will admit that my even mentioning Stetson was a mistake on my part. No, I did not look up their attendance figures. I merely noticed that they had beaten FSU and USF recently, plus they are at least able to get OOC games with their in-state major schools including those 2 they beat this season plus UF (who they lost to), and also OOC against the likes of Houston, GT, and Miami (FL). But I also just now noticed that they are one of the 45 schools that have never appeared in the NCAA Tournament. Be aware, though, that they have not been NCAA Division I until relatively recently. Still, I admit that I made a mistake.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #73744  by furpop16
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:11 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:57 pm
Still, I admit that I made a mistake.

Well I'll be, a quality individual. What are you doing here with the likes of us?
FU Hoopla liked this
 #73745  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:37 pm
I agree let's win the SoCon again this year, then have this conference talk again next off-season...............
 #73750  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:36 pm
Furman needs to stay put in the SoCon unless others start jumping ship. There is no other viable conference to join right now. If a new geographically feasible league forms then maybe. We cannot even afford a baseball team so how are we going to afford all the extra travels? I’s rather be a big fish in a small pond instead of little fish in a big pond. Clempson is in the same boat. They would be stupid to leave the ACC unless it falls apart.
FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #73751  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
Furman needs to stay put in the SoCon unless others start jumping ship. There is no other viable conference to join right now. If a new geographically feasible league forms then maybe. We cannot even afford a baseball team so how are we going to afford all the extra travels? I’s rather be a big fish in a small pond instead of little fish in a big pond. Clempson is in the same boat. They would be stupid to leave the ACC unless it falls apart.
That's what I've been saying basically, not interested in any other leagues that currently exist, just in making a new league that can be formed to perfectly serve the best Mid-Majors in this region...............
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #73756  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:03 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
apaladin wrote:
That's what I've been saying basically, not interested in any other leagues that currently exist, just in making a new league that can be formed to perfectly serve the best Mid-Majors in this region...............
Therefore no to the A-10 idea..
But no also no to the "making a new league that can be formed to perfectly serve the best Mid-Majors in this region" idea.
There do not seem to be enough teams that would be interested in creating such a league. If you stated who such teams would potentially be, and who would have any interest, I am sorry but I missed it. Until you can provide such a list with a large enough quantity and quality of members who would have any interest, we should not continue to discuss this unless we a just talking about "dreams". We could also dream about being in the ACC, the SEC, the Big East, the Conference USA, the American, the Big 12, etc.
 #73764  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:41 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:03 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Therefore no to the A-10 idea..
But no also no to the "making a new league that can be formed to perfectly serve the best Mid-Majors in this region" idea.
There do not seem to be enough teams that would be interested in creating such a league. If you stated who such teams would potentially be, and who would have any interest, I am sorry but I missed it. Until you can provide such a list with a large enough quantity and quality of members who would have any interest, we should not continue to discuss this unless we a just talking about "dreams". We could also dream about being in the ACC, the SEC, the Big East, the Conference USA, the American, the Big 12, etc.

I have already highlighted plenty of teams that would work...............
Whether it could happen or not is the question, that's stating the obvious.............
 #73927  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:21 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:30 am
31 games total

vs. Belmont Nov. 10
vs. Liberty Nov. 16 Myrtle Beach Invitational
Myrtle Beach Invitational Nov. 17
Myrtle Beach Invitational Nov. 19
@ Princeton Dec. 2
18 SoCon games

:D :D