• @ High Point Nov. 30

#47135  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:42 pm
Won a road game on a night where pretty much everyone (outside of Foster) played below their potential.

Our shooting was horrible. 7-27 (26%) from 3 when we came in shooting 40%. 13-25 (52%) from the line when we came in shooting 77%.

Gutty win. They (unlike me) didn’t give up and made some plays when it counts. Winning on the road even vs a mediocre team when your as off as we were tonite is a positive. Now let’s get back to playing to our potential.
Fuonetime, din23, Davemeister and 2 others liked this
 #47140  by RaleighDin
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:06 pm
For a game that felt like we were going to lose the entire second half, really impressed with the way the team answered the bell when they had to.

Did those announcers bother anyone else? Maybe it was the way we played, but I could not stand them at all.
Flagman, apaladin, underjack and 5 others liked this
 #47142  by Fuonetime
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 pm
Gutty performance by the Paladins. Jason was tremendous. Foster is emerging as a star. 14 rebounds, 15 points. Big shots by Conley, Both and Hunter. Good minutes from the bench. Tough environment. We won and that’s what counts. Confidence builder. Coach on post game show wants fans to show up for CooC game and be loud and involved. See you there!!
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #47143  by FurmAlum
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:28 pm
That was a HUGE win. I'm still having a hard time believing it.

Shots weren't going in. On the Road. Refs against us. Making too many mistakes.

But...played tough defense down the stretch, never gave up, and found a way to win.

Was going to say glad Both got some mojo back but Paul C. beat me to it.

Go Paladins!
Roundball liked this
 #47144  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:35 pm
Belmont= the loss that should never have been.
High Pt. = the win that should never have been.
Somehow I don’t feel even. 😳
 #47147  by FurmAlum
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13 pm
High Point lost that game at the free throw line. (50%). FU wasn't much better.

How modern college players can shoot free throws that bad is a mystery to me. Anybody know any stats (today's players vs 40 to 50 years ago?)

A reporter once asked Magic Johnson why he was such a good free throw shooter in the pros when he was not in college. He answered "100 shots a day".

Do they not practice it enough?
Davemeister liked this
 #47150  by FUPlayer74
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:38 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:35 pm
Belmont= the loss that should never have been.
High Pt. = the win that should never have been.
Somehow I don’t feel even. 😳
Not sure you'd feel even if you hit the lottery!
din23 liked this
 #47151  by tya1
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:59 am
We have seen enough to learn that this team can be very good when the threes are falling and will struggle when they don't. Tonight we gutted out a win when we were having a poor shooting night. We will probably have some other games when we need to do the same. Hopefully we learned how to tough it out.

I thought our defense was mostly good all night and kept us in position to make some big plays at the end. That didn't happen against Navy.

High Point has played well at times this year. They lead Notre Dame at the half at ND. They only trailed Northwestern by 1 point on the road at the half.
Roundball, HammerTKE liked this
 #47164  by The Cats
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:51 am
I watched the game last night and congrats on the win. I do think that the officials had a pretty quick whistle against the Paladins the entire game. Nice win against adversity.
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #47165  by Furmanoid
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:27 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13 pm
High Point lost that game at the free throw line. (50%). FU wasn't much better.

How modern college players can shoot free throws that bad is a mystery to me. Anybody know any stats (today's players vs 40 to 50 years ago?)

A reporter once asked Magic Johnson why he was such a good free throw shooter in the pros when he was not in college. He answered "100 shots a day".

Do they not practice it enough?
You are right. They gave it to us. We tried to lose but they just wouldn’t have it. It was comical. Their guys weren’t just missing. They looked bad at the line. Are they always that bad or were they just choking in an epic way?

Watch nowadays kids in the gym practicing. They try to dunk for awhile, then fiddle with their phones for awhile, then shoot 3’s, then fiddle with their phone some more. They stopped working on the midrange shot years ago because it’s boring. So after enough years, nobody can hit midrange shots anymore. Then analytics people people mathematically prove that midrange shots are bad because kids miss them so much. Did Walt Frazier EVER miss them? Well no, but nobody remembers and nobody cares.

Free throws are just midrange shots only a little easier because they aren’t jumpers. But you only get one point, and they don’t look good on highlight videos. Sure they decide if your team wins or not but what nowadays kid cares about that? Will we get to the point where nobody wants to go to the line anymore because “in today’s game” an uncontested 15 ft set shot is too challenging? Maybe. You don’t get noticed in your AAU games for being a 90% free throw guy.
 #47169  by FU3
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:56 am
In reality made free throw percentage in college basketball has been between 65 and 70% for over 50+ years. Eight of the 10 highest individual % leaders played the game from 2000 on.A lot has changed in the game but this isn’t one of them.
GOAT, FurmAlum liked this
 #47172  by FurmAlum
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:00 pm
I suspected that the actual statistics would nullify my opinion about bad free throw shooting being more prevalent in today's game. It was just more prevalent last night. I do know that when your legs go the free throw shooting gets worse as illustrated by some of the misses late in the game.

As for today's practice habits. I don't know. It is obvious, even though Hunter had a subpar shooting night last night, that he has really worked on that during the off-season. He is now a really good 3-point shooter and can make them late in the game when it counts.

Same thing with Slawson. His low post game has gone from almost nil to damn good and his shooting is much better. There was never any question about his hustle and defensive abilities.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.