• Furman vs. Elon & UT Arlington (Nov. 26 & 27)

#21646  by CharlieFU
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:47 am
Great win. 7-1 start.

Coach said he went with 5 guard line up in 2nd half late, sitting Noah and Jalen. Turned out to be right move.

First half looked out of sync on O, but that was mostly from UTA defense. And the shots were not falling either. Proud of way we scrapped in 2d half. Showed a lot of toughness. They will draw on this experience later in the season.

UTA reminded me a lot of ETSU. Very vocal. Lots of transfers. Let’s just say I took an instant dislike to them and their coach. Made the victory that much sweeter.

A great birthday present for yours truly! Thank you, Paladins.
FUKA61, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #21651  by Jasper
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 am
Furman did what good teams have to do. WIN the game when they don't play particularly well. This was a statement game on the character of this team. Scramble, innovate and do whatever you have to in order to win. Good job by the coaching staff to change things up. A few more games like this and they will believe that they will win no matter what and that is a big thing in basketball. Anybody can win a game when they shoot 60% from the field and make nearly half their 3 pointers. Winning when you cant hit the side of a barn and need to make drives to the hoop thru the paint as time runs out and get fouled as well is what makes champions. Great effort by Clay Mounce in snaring the rebound to set up that dramatic drive by Bothwell.
Paladin575 liked this
 #21652  by Flagman
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:42 am
And remember, we played with just 18 hours of rest. At times, we looked tired. Weak shots from tired arms. And, it was a fast paced game. I got tired just watching. Plus, we got word that Gurley was sick. But, he gutted it out. They showed a “never down and out” attitude. Every time out was calm, never panicked. Great job by the staff.
FU03times liked this
 #21653  by gman
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:48 am
Flagman wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:42 am
And remember, we played with just 18 hours of rest. At times, we looked tired. Weak shots from tired arms. And, it was a fast paced game. I got tired just watching. Plus, we got word that Gurley was sick. But, he gutted it out. They showed a “never down and out” attitude. Every time out was calm, never panicked. Great job by the staff.
We played with 18 hours of rest against a team that had been resting since Sunday, and still gutted it out. Awesome effort by the team and coaches.
Flagman, FUKA61, Paladin575 and 1 others liked this
 #21658  by youwouldno
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:50 am
Fuonetime wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:45 am
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:14 pm
I think Bothwell is the 2nd best player on the team.

Who is number 1? This is a very balanced team with different players emerging. That being said, MB is definitely rising. He is a fearless scorer.

Mounce. He's the team's best defender and is playing the best offensively too, though he doesn't usually create his own shots, and is able to succeed because of how the team moves the ball around.

All 7 rotation guys are doing a lot of good things in order for the Paladins to be #68 in Pomeroy . . . some of those things show up statistically and some don't, in a direct sense (e.g., leadership). So it's not a knock on the other guys, but I'm just impressed with how Bothwell is contributing in so many areas . . . playing good defense, hitting the defensive glass, sharing the ball without turning it over, while scoring at the rim and from the outside.
furpop16 liked this
 #21659  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:54 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Great win. 7-1 start.

Coach said he went with 5 guard line up in 2nd half late, sitting Noah and Jalen. Turned out to be right move.

First half looked out of sync on O, but that was mostly from UTA defense. And the shots were not falling either. Proud of way we scrapped in 2d half. Showed a lot of toughness. They will draw on this experience later in the season.

UTA reminded me a lot of ETSU. Very vocal. Lots of transfers. Let’s just say I took an instant dislike to them and their coach. Made the victory that much sweeter.

Nice birthday present for sure. Happy birthday!! Glad you got to see the game. That Elon arena looks really nice. It looks bigger than I thought it was.
 #21665  by tya1
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:59 pm
UT-Arlington beat Elon today in the final contest of this event. Final score was 77-67. UTA lead at halftime by 2. The game was very close most of the way and Elon had their largest lead a 7 with about 12 minutes to go. UTA came back to tie it up at 10:19 and had a working margin the rest of the way. UTA had to deal with the same game timing that the Paladins faced. The game started at noon, so Arlington had to play two games in less than 24 hours. Elon had the day off to rest. UTA finished with their bench getting more time than the starters and outscoring the starters 46-31. Elon's Marcus Sheffield scored 25 points after being held to 2 by the Paladin defense.
 #21671  by CharlieFU
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
Great win. 7-1 start.

Nice birthday present for sure. Happy birthday!! Glad you got to see the game. That Elon arena looks really nice. It looks bigger than I thought it was.
Thank you, sir! I think I read it seats about 5,000. Huge video board at each end.
 #21675  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:59 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
Great win. 7-1 start.

Thank you, sir! I think I read it seats about 5,000. Huge video board at each end.
Benefactor Dwight Schar
 #21687  by tya1
 Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:37 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:14 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:12 pm
I’d rather have our team and our arena than their team and their arena.

Although it’s nice to dream.

No doubt, though arenas tend to stick around longer than successful head coaches.
That is the general rule, although there are some exceptions. Rick Byrd stayed at Belmont until retirement. Bob McKillop is a lifer at Davidson, Mike Young went to 5 NCAA tournaments before moving to an ACC program in his home state.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.