• Largest home crowd in FU Basketball history

#66052  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:41 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:39 am
my favorite furman game ever was maybe the lowest attended furman game ever.vrs south carolina at the palestra in philadelphia.south carolina rated 5th in nation,had alex english brian winters and mike dunlevy.they led us by about ten at the half.
but bruce grimm got hot,clyde mayes threw in everything bruce missed and owned the defensive board as well.fessor leonard and eddie kelly were big contributors as well.it wqs our only ncaa win ever;
being in philadelphia only about 1000 people showed up.we sat on the front row mid court.

i think it was 1974.

Crazy to think how much the NCAA tournament has grown since then!
 #66100  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:31 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:20 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:56 am
The next great opportunity to break the record attendance in a landslide will be when we land a Top 25 P6 program to come play us at Bon Secours downtown, guessing that would be 8k range or more depending on who we lure here ;)
It would have to be a very well known, popular P6 team or extremely highly ranked. For example, I’m not so sure the present Creighton team or the present Providence team or certain others would bring a new record. A relatively low-ranked but well-known popular brand name opponent may be about as successful or more successful in bringing in a big crowd.

That's my point, if we played a Top 25 UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Alabama, NC State, Auburn, Clemson type team here, the crowd would be HUGE!
 #66105  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:57 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:31 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:20 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:56 am
The next great opportunity to break the record attendance in a landslide will be when we land a Top 25 P6 program to come play us at Bon Secours downtown, guessing that would be 8k range or more depending on who we lure here ;)
It would have to be a very well known, popular P6 team or extremely highly ranked. For example, I’m not so sure the present Creighton team or the present Providence team or certain others would bring a new record. A relatively low-ranked but well-known popular brand name opponent may be about as successful or more successful in bringing in a big crowd.

That's my point, if we played a Top 25 UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, Alabama, NC State, Auburn, Clemson type team here, the crowd would be HUGE!
I know, and you’re right. But you said “a top 25 P6 program”, and the 2 schools I mentioned as example ARE top 25 P6 programs. I think IF we played a top *****175**** (wouldn’t have to be top *****25*****) UNC, Duke, UK, UT, UVA, Al, NCSU, AU,, Clemson, UGA, FSU, Michigan, Ohio State, UCLA, Southern Cal,, Georgia Tech, LSU, Notre Dame, or some others,; and IF we were as good as we are at present, it would break FU attendance records in the Well. Any of those types even at 175 of those might be equally or more attractive to attendance than would some teams such as other top 25 P6’s the present Creighton or the present Providence. Nothing at all against the Big East. The Big East IS greatI I am very interested to see that a bracket prediction on UFFP has Furman playing Marquette in the first round. That would be super (as long as Marquette doesn’t make us look bad). (I believe that at least 2 of our 7 losses in NCAA Tourney were to teams that are or at the time were Big East teams definitely Providence maybe BC or a few others that were in those 7 losses [from our 8 all-time so far appearances].)
 #66122  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:08 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:57 am
Two teams that travel well are Davidson and College of Charleston. If scheduled on the right date, we could get over 7,500 in attendance.
Yeah maybe 6k+ for those as well, but would have to be a Saturday when school is in of course, and both FU and whichever of those opponents would have to be having very good seasons. Can't really think of any other Mid-Majors that would be worth playing there other than those two.
Maybe Charlotte, or even bring in St. Mary's or Harvard lol.
I would be thrilled to lure ANY P6 team in the country to 'The Well'.
 #66208  by Affirm
 Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:44 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Two teams that travel well are Davidson and College of Charleston. If scheduled on the right date, we could get over 7,500 in attendance.
Yeah maybe 6k+ for those as well, but would have to be a Saturday when school is in of course, and both FU and whichever of those opponents would have to be having very good seasons. Can't really think of any other Mid-Majors that would be worth playing there other than those two.
Amen to your final sentence, including All Big East teams.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #67046  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:29 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:44 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Amen to your final sentence, including All Big East teams.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.