• Coach Richey

#52027  by youwouldno
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:13 pm
Richey's lack of high-major assistant experience and NCAA trips means no power conference job. This is a total non-story. It was way more concerning when he talked to JMU a couple years ago. Now he gets paid enough that lateral moves wouldn't make sense.

Besides which, SC is such a bad job I'm not sure he would even take it. SC could easily kill his head coaching career, which seems like an unnecessary risk given Richey's age and his likely ability to continue winning at Furman until the right fit emerges.
 #52028  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:13 pm
Richey's lack of high-major assistant experience and NCAA trips means no power conference job. This is a total non-story. It was way more concerning when he talked to JMU a couple years ago. Now he gets paid enough that lateral moves wouldn't make sense.

Besides which, SC is such a bad job I'm not sure he would even take it. SC could easily kill his head coaching career, which seems like an unnecessary risk given Richey's age and his likely ability to continue winning at Furman until the right fit emerges.

I really hope you are correct and that this is all premature

Hoping he won't get his P5 shot until after he takes us dancing next year, we gotta break this dang drought
 #52030  by tya1
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:41 pm
If he is interested, (the big question, of course) John Belein is the best coach on that list. He had success at HS, JC, D3, D2, and D1 levels. As a D1 coach he took all 4 teams he coached - Canisius, Richmond, West Virginia and Michigan - to the NCAA tournament. He lead Richmond to a famous upset of #3 ranked South Carolina in 1998. I bet Gamecock fans remember that. He took West Virginia to the Sweet Sixteen twice and the Elite Eight once in just 5 years. He took Michigan to the NCAA tournament 9 of of the 12 years he was there. They won at least one game 7 of those 9 trips. They made the Sweet Sixteen five times, the Elite Eight 4 times, and the championship game twice.

His last coaching job was a bad experience with Cleveland in the NBA. He might want to erase that from his memory. His biggest negative is age. he is 69 and may not want to coach any more.
 #52032  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:44 pm
If it were me going to the interview, I would take Jalen Slawson, Alex Hunter, and Mike Bothwell with me to hear the details and then after the interview, I'd ask them for their thoughts...But then again, that probably sounds crazy....But if possible, that's what I would do.
 #52034  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:58 pm
Proverbs 15:22 “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed."
 #52035  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:19 am
MD- I agree with you that this year’s team was fun to watch mainly for the style we played. Relying heavily on the 3 was was fun to watch and really the only way this team could win as many as they did. We really put 5 legit 3 point shooters on the floor. It didn’t work some of the time but more often than not it did. IF CBR returns next year I am sure he will have a system in place to fit the personnel. Not sure we can play the same style next year with losing Alex H and Conley G. but I have confidence CBR will figure it out.
Fuonetime liked this
 #52220  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:23 pm
People, fans and coaches, have to realize the one 100% true fact in head coaching in sports... u are going change jobs in 1 of 2 ways

Best way - coach leaves on own terms, either thru quiting, retiring or getting a new job.
Normal way - you get fired

If SC is CBR's dream job and if he doesnt get it this time... almost guaranteed whoever gets it will...

Likely scenario #1 - get fired in 3-4 years
Least likely #2 - do well and leave in 3-4 years to a better job

Point being, if CBR doesnt get this one chance, its not the end of the world. Keep building up Dins and another chance will come along not too far in he future
furpop16 liked this
 #52221  by cavedweller2
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:35 pm
Gamecocks should put Dawn Staley in charge of both programs.
QCGlue liked this
 #52232  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:33 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:23 pm
People, fans and coaches, have to realize the one 100% true fact in head coaching in sports... u are going change jobs in 1 of 2 ways

Best way - coach leaves on own terms, either thru quiting, retiring or getting a new job.
Normal way - you get fired

If SC is CBR's dream job and if he doesnt get it this time... almost guaranteed whoever gets it will...

Likely scenario #1 - get fired in 3-4 years
Least likely #2 - do well and leave in 3-4 years to a better job

Point being, if CBR doesnt get this one chance, its not the end of the world. Keep building up Dins and another chance will come along not too far in he future
Probably multiple chances at UofSC and CU if CBR would stay at FU for about 20 more years and do as well here as we want him to do. Seems McKillop has stayed at Davidson a long while. Not aware of that whole story, by I believe his son is associate head coach there.
Point is, in my mind, CBR can stay forever, and I hope he will want to.
 #52233  by Affirm
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:34 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:44 pm
If it were me going to the interview, I would take Jalen Slawson, Alex Hunter, and Mike Bothwell with me to hear the details and then after the interview, I'd ask them for their thoughts...But then again, that probably sounds crazy....But if possible, that's what I would do.
Yes. Unheard of.
 #52239  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:39 pm
Between Xavier Big East and SC in SEC for basketball.. yea no brainer. Big East

Xavier is very close to fertile recruiting grounds and bball is king. Although not having recent success some very well known names in that league... Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, St Johns. Those are all bball schools