• NIT

#26499  by AstroDin
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 am
For those of us that travel for work and work with large groups of people, the coronavirus is a big deal reality.
I was in Cali for work, I hosted a large public event - got home three days later I'm running a fever, dry cough, severe body aches, no test available in Gville, thankfully I tested positive for Influenza A which still put me on my back for two days.

My clients are having to make hard decisions to protect their constituents, I'm glad they're doing it. I consider myself lucky, I do have a compromised immunity I'm a diabetic and I'm taking this seriously.

I'll add I hate that SXSW was canceled one of the things I look forward to each year, but IMO it was the right thing to do.
MNORM, furpop16 liked this
 #26500  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:55 am
Well put Astro Din...Glad you are okay and feeling better.
QCGlue liked this
 #26502  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:36 am
With the quick spread of the virus, especially when our government finally releases some test kits, we need to be prepared for the possiblity that fans will not be allowed into arenas in the next few weeks. I agree with soconjohn that this action might be overkill, but based on the trends, the probability of no fans allowed at indoor events seems to be higher than 50%.
 #26503  by tim
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 am
The thread is about the NIT which I fully believe the NCAA is about to cancel due to all this panic. I also firmly believe Furman is close to a bid. Cancelation would be devastating news to the program and our one senior.
 #26505  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:02 am
Roundball...Good point on the indoor arenas...It would seem outdoor sports would be at less risk.
 #26506  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 am
I don't think the NIT will be canceled...It might not have crowds, however, I don't think it will be canceled. It depends on the school and area...The Final four could be moved to a different venue where the virus is not as prevalent.
 #26507  by fufanatic
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:12 am
tim wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 am
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:10 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 pm
Coronavirus is a political ploy...Nothing more...Flu is much more serious...The media thrives on stupid people and weake folks...Especially with millennials ...Wash your hands ...it’s simple...Ebola got less coverage a few years back
So Italy just shut their country down for sh*ts and giggles? That it’s not a big deal would be a shocker to every scientist and doctor in the world working on this crisis. It’s a big deal because it’s highly contagious and there’s no cure for it yet. So while the average person will get over it, the concern is that if we all go about our business, it could spread like wild fire and pose a real risk to people that have other health issues or have crappy or no healthcare. Having said that, I’m not changing my day to day other than being more aware, but I don’t claim to know more than scientists and doctors and will trust their judgement and expertise.
So if you believe going about your business could spread it like wildfire, why aren't YOU changing your day to day activities?
I mean there's really not much I can do. I live in Chicago and take public transportation to get to work (I don't have a car) every single day. My entire office is working from home today and maybe that becomes the norm over the next month or so. I don't know. I can't quit my job and bunker down in my condo, but I'm not putting my head in the sand either and thinking it's a big conspiracy theory. I've been washing my hands more, wiping my desk down more frequently, washing phone case more, making sure to sneeze/cough into my elbow pit, etc. Probably things we should be doing all the time anyway. My main point is this ... I too am not as concerned about getting it, and I hate that all these things are getting cancelled because of it, but I'm going to trust doctors and scientists and choose to believe that they are doing what's best for us the people.
 #26511  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:46 am
fufanatic wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Coronavirus is a political ploy...Nothing more...Flu is much more serious...The media thrives on stupid people and weake folks...Especially with millennials ...Wash your hands ...it’s simple...Ebola got less coverage a few years back
So Italy just shut their country down for sh*ts and giggles? That it’s not a big deal would be a shocker to every scientist and doctor in the world working on this crisis. It’s a big deal because it’s highly contagious and there’s no cure for it yet. So while the average person will get over it, the concern is that if we all go about our business, it could spread like wild fire and pose a real risk to people that have other health issues or have crappy or no healthcare. Having said that, I’m not changing my day to day other than being more aware, but I don’t claim to know more than scientists and doctors and will trust their judgement and expertise.

Does the Flu not also effect the same higher risk (older, other health issues, ect.) people the same way?
 #26512  by MNORM
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:46 am
fufanatic wrote:
soconjohn wrote:

Does the Flu not also effect the same higher risk (older, other health issues, ect.) people the same way?
No...it doesn't.
Here's a link to an interview recorded yesterday with infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm. No politics...no whacko opinionated stupidity, no media bias. Just objective medical information. Great info, and I'm sharing because I'm sick of seeing so much crazy talk out there...both downplaying and exaggerated.

As far as Furman is concerned....I hope the NIT tournament happens and we get in. I hope that if there aren't fans allowed that it's televised in some fashion. Go Dins!
 #26513  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:55 pm
I know this sounds crazy but how about if everyone uses a little common sense. Yes you're right everyone doesn't have common sense. If you don't feel comfortable going don't go. If heaven forbid you are sick don't go. Even if you have allergies don't go because people will think you have it. They act like all 15,000 people in an arena are going to come in close contact. In reality you really come in contact with the people within 8 or 10 feet of you. You will come in contact with people everywhere you go. Are they going to close grocery stores, malls, schools, churches etc? It's just the government thinking for eveyone and saying we can't make raional decicsions. Of course the panic is being driven by the news media. It's all they talk about. It would be a great time for common sense but I realize that is not feasible.
 #26515  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:06 pm
tim wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 am
The thread is about the NIT which I fully believe the NCAA is about to cancel due to all this panic. I also firmly believe Furman is close to a bid. Cancelation would be devastating news to the program and our one senior.
I doubt it will be canceled, but playing with no fans is probably being discussed.
 #26517  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:55 pm
I know this sounds crazy but how about if everyone uses a little common sense. Yes you're right everyone doesn't have common sense. If you don't feel comfortable going don't go. If heaven forbid you are sick don't go. Even if you have allergies don't go because people will think you have it. They act like all 15,000 people in an arena are going to come in close contact. In reality you really come in contact with the people within 8 or 10 feet of you. You will come in contact with people everywhere you go. Are they going to close grocery stores, malls, schools, churches etc? It's just the government thinking for eveyone and saying we can't make raional decicsions. Of course the panic is being driven by the news media. It's all they talk about. It would be a great time for common sense but I realize that is not feasible.

Seems everything these days is an over-reaction, remember the idots who were calling on potential World War III after we killed that Iranian general, :roll:
 #26518  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:46 pm
It really does not matter if we think there is an overreaction or not enough is being done. I doubt the powers to be are watching or listening to the media. Some give the media too much blame or too little credit for everything. The decisions being made are based on what most experts are recommending to businesses and entities like the NCAA. The market thinks it’s going to get worse. I believe the market and the experts, including our own CDC. I would rather we overreact than underreact.
 #26519  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:58 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:46 pm
It really does not matter if we think there is an overreaction or not enough is being done. I doubt the powers to be are watching or listening to the media. Some give the media too much blame or too little credit for everything. The decisions being made are based on what most experts are recommending to businesses and entities like the NCAA. The market thinks it’s going to get worse. I believe the market and the experts, including our own CDC. I would rather we overreact than underreact.

Let's hope they are not listening to media, it was the media that absurdly labeled Trump racist when he acted proactively to close flights/travel to China months ago

Recent Topics

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:48 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.