• UTC @ Furman (Feb. 15)(Championship Push)

#25337  by furpop16
 Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:39 pm
What blows my mind is that we are essentially a 7 man team. Hope our redshirts can give us some depth next year. Hard for me to see Kenney’s potential at this point.

I know, and I hear you. But I have similarly worried about who was going to step-up ...
... after Croone, Ferrara, & Wideman left ...
... then after Acox left ...
... then upon departure of FOUR Seniors - Sibley, Beans, Fowler, & JDIII ...
... and most recently after Rafferty & Brown left.

I've kinda stopped fretting about it.
 #25338  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:54 pm
Agree, but right now I like the 7 man rotation as everyone is contributing. Too late to try and find more depth for this year. Will need to a couple for next year. If we don't Tre Clark will be the only one off the bench, which would not be a good situation.
We are getting 4 studs next year, 2 redshirts and 2 true frosh, I am pretty confident at least 2 of those guys are going to be ready for prime time
apaladin, Roundball liked this
 #25355  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:02 am
apaladin wrote:
Agree, but right now I like the 7 man rotation as everyone is contributing. Too late to try and find more depth for this year. Will need to a couple for next year. If we don't Tre Clark will be the only one off the bench, which would not be a good situation.
I mentioned this only because on pre-game radio they said Coach BR wanted to have a depth of 8 men heading into the tourney. I agree-I think it is essentially too late for that this year. We have 7 contributors!

Unrelated, it seems like there are a lot of quick substitutions at times. For instance, in the first 90 seconds today Mounce was pulled. Was there a reason for that?

Unrelated # 2 when Mounce had the ball go off his foot in the 2nd half and roll toward mid court and then he picked it up and started dribbling-wasn’t that double dribbling?
 #25358  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:32 am
purplehorse wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I mentioned this only because on pre-game radio they said Coach BR wanted to have a depth of 8 men heading into the tourney. I agree-I think it is essentially too late for that this year. We have 7 contributors!

Unrelated, it seems like there are a lot of quick substitutions at times. For instance, in the first 90 seconds today Mounce was pulled. Was there a reason for that?

Unrelated # 2 when Mounce had the ball go off his foot in the 2nd half and roll toward mid court and then he picked it up and started dribbling-wasn’t that double dribbling?
It looked like Kenney played a good bit early in the game. I'm not exactly sure how Richey wants to use him, and while he doesn't seem to add a lot of scoring, he certainly played limited minutes with high intensity on the defensive end.
 #25359  by tim
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:32 am
purplehorse wrote:
apaladin wrote:

It was a double dribble. More bad calls went against us though. I cringed when I got there and saw Benedict and the two others. Those guys were too old to see much.
purplehorse, Paladin575 liked this
 #25363  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 am
It appears that CBR is giving Kenny the chance to win that 8th spot and he is not really doing anything to earn in. He plays some tough defense but shows nothing from an offensive standpoint. He rarely even makes a move to score other than to through up the occasional 3 pointer and has had real problems with a press. With the emergence of Tre Clark as a virtual starter, it is tough to put another player in the game with limited offensive capability or inclination. That would mean that 40% of that lineup does not have real capacity to score.
CBR has indicated that Jaylon Pugh has some defensive problems but this kid is a very good shooter and if the coach is just trying to get a few minutes rest for a starter with this 8th player, Pugh has the ability to light it up when he is on. he showed that in the Auburn game.
Last edited by Jasper on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #25364  by CharlieFU
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:37 am
We essentially have 7 starters. They are all sharing the minutes.

While I would love to see Pugh more, I trust the coaches to do the right thing. As I said elsewhere teams now know Pugh is a shooter and he won’t get the looks he got at Auburn—or at least not as easily. Kenney by contrast seems more comfortable overall while in the court. Just 5-8 minutes a game helps.
 #25366  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 pm
CharlieFU wrote:

While I would love to see Pugh more, I trust the coaches to do the right thing. As I said elsewhere teams now know Pugh is a shooter and he won’t get the looks he got at Auburn—or at least not as easily. Kenney by contrast seems more comfortable overall while in the court. Just 5-8 minutes a game helps.
You honestly think Kenney seems comfortable on the court? That is not what I see. The fact that teams may be aware that Pugh is a shooter does not mean that we cannot create shot opportunities for him with screens and corner throw outs from drivers. Lets see if he has a hot hand while he is eating those 5 minutes. We sure could have used some made 3 pointers last night. We shot 17% on 3 of 18 and that is what kept Chattanooga in the game. I cannot conceive of FU beating ETSU, Wofford or UNCG with a repeat of that statistic.
However, you are entitled to your opinion.
 #25367  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm
It seems our guys do pretty well with 7 contributors. Kenney seems to have missed many/most of his open looks this year. I personally would rather see Pugh for a few minutes if we have to go to # 8 but what do I know-not much. Glad there will be more depth next year but it is what it is this year! 7 horses.
Roundball liked this
 #25384  by CharlieFU
 Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:41 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:13 pm
CharlieFU wrote:

You honestly think Kenney seems comfortable on the court? That is not what I see. The fact that teams may be aware that Pugh is a shooter does not mean that we cannot create shot opportunities for him with screens and corner throw outs from drivers. Lets see if he has a hot hand while he is eating those 5 minutes. We sure could have used some made 3 pointers last night. We shot 17% on 3 of 18 and that is what kept Chattanooga in the game. I cannot conceive of FU beating ETSU, Wofford or UNCG with a repeat of that statistic.
However, you are entitled to your opinion.
Thanks for letting me have an opinion! 😀

Notice I said “more comfortable.” More than others. By comparison. He is not ready for prime time and neither is Pugh. But it’s clear to me that the players who perform better in practice earn the right to play. And right now that’s Kenney and not Pugh.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by FurmAlum

Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:48 pm

Default Avatar What just happened?

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:33 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by bj93

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:32 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.