• 2019 Recruiting

#4497  by Paul C
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm
So this is a big recruiting weekend for us. It appears both Ques Glover and Colin Kenney will be on campus.

Glover went to UNCC last weekend but didn't commit, and also looks like some of this other schools that were involved like CofC and Loyola-Chicago have already filled their G spots. So maybe down to FU, UNCC and maybe Vermont.

Kenney is one of those "under the radar" guys referred to above. Not much in the way of info on his offers or interest. But watching some video he looks like a fantastic shooter.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw at least one commitment early next week....
 #4498  by youwouldno
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:37 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:06 am
tya1 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:03 pm
When you are looking for hidden gems with 0,1, or 2 other offers you don't miss so often. When you are after players with 15-20 or more offers the success rate is lower.
Well they have missed on guys that mostly did not have that many offers, and to schools like Wofford, Radford, Albany, and Sam Houston State.

The risk in that situation is that the next set of targets commit elsewhere while Furman is chasing guys that aren't likely to sign on.
How do you know we lost those guys? Maybe we let them go to Albany, to Radford and to Sam Houston. You know that "offers" as defined on twitter and in the media aren't really offers. Lots of guys that we offer, if they called to commit we wouldn't take their commitment if we had other guys we liked better.

Rafferty was a spring signing too.

Just to double down on what was already said, Cattoor is the only kid I know we were disappointed to lose. And maybe slightly disappointed when we lost Fiedler to Rice but they love love love Jonathan Lawrence.
I don't know in any particular case . . . it just seems that there are players who took visits and had a reported offer . . . that combination often indicates that the program is hoping for a commitment. Other players on the board may be ranked the same, but the programs want to lock down quality recruits when they can.
 #4503  by Paul C
 Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:43 pm
outside of Cattoor and Fiedler I’m not sure we hosted any ther OV’s....
 #4507  by tya1
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:20 am
Well they have missed on guys that mostly did not have that many offers, and to schools like Wofford, Radford, Albany, and Sam Houston State.
Cattoor had 20 reported offers -(same as Fletcher Magee.) Harvey had 12 offers. Hellums had 8. Hutcheson with 4.
The only recruit I'm upset about losing is Cattoor and that's only bc he went to Wofford. We have several contributing players who were signed in the spring. (Mounce, Gurley, Brown, probably someone else)
Mounce was a spring signee. Gurley and Brown signed in November. Of the players on this year's team Rafferty, Mounce, and Tre Clark were spring signees. (Jonathan Jean was too.)
 #4537  by Paul C
 Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:58 pm
Just to confirm, saw both Ques Glover and Colin Kenney with the basketball team at the football game today.
 #4578  by JohnW
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:35 pm
First thing I saw on twitter just now is Kenney committed.Tweet by Prep ball Stars.
apaladin liked this
 #4583  by Paul C
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:14 pm
Terrific. He’s a fantastic shooter. Good fit.

Now let’s hope Ques Glover pick us!
 #4594  by tya1
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:01 pm
Video from AAU ball in May 2017 - LINK

Kenney played for the Indiana junior all-stars against the Kentucky all-stars this spring. Started and scored 11.

Putting up good numbers for awhile - 42 points on 14-16 FG shooting (8-9 from behind the line) and 6-6 from the FT line as a sophomore.
LINK
 #4595  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:09 pm
Thank you. Great shooting form. Perfect kick out compliment to a penetrator. Good commit.
 #4633  by Paul C
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:07 pm
Senior Colin Kenney will be a Paladin next year. Marquette’s star guard announced his commitment to Furman University on Sunday afternoon.

Kenney averaged 21.7 points per game as a junior while posting 2.8 assists, 2.2 steals, and 3.7 rebounds per tilt. He’s knocked down 157 three-pointers the past three seasons, all while shooting at a 42% clip from beyond the arc. Kenney shot 85% from the foul line as a junior after converting 82% of his free-throw attempts as a sophomore. He’s also shot 52% or better overall from the field over the last two seasons.

https://mqtblazers.com/2018/10/01/kenne ... niversity/

Kenney enters his senior season already with the sixth-most career points (1,239) by a Marquette basketball player, the third-most on the boys’ side. He’s 235 points shy of Jim Retseck (1,474) – who went on to play at Auburn – for second place on the all-time scoring list and 323 behind Ryan Fazekas (1,562) for the scoring crown. Fazekas, who debuted at Providence, has two seasons of eligibility remaining at Valparaiso.

Furman, which competes in the Southern Conference, is coming off a 23-12 campaign that included a run to the semifinals of the 2018 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT). The 23 victories tied a school record for wins in a season. The Paladins are in their second season under head coach Bob Richey.
MNORM liked this
 #4634  by tya1
 Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm
Another article about Kenney's commitment - LINK
Colin Kenney took a visit last weekend to Furman. He loved it so much that he decided to make it his college home.

Kenney, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Marquette, committed to play Sunday night for the Paladins on Twitter.

It was a matter of fit, plus the program making Kenney a priority.

...Kenney was an Indiana Junior All-Star last season. He averaged 21.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists. He shot 62 percent from the floor, including 38 percent from 3-point range.
Shooting 85% from the FT line is outstanding at any level. His 82% mark as a sophomore shows it isn't a fluke. Kenney's 38% 3pt shooting as a junior was slightly below his 42% career mark but still very good, especially because he probably had to take on a heavier burden as a junior.

-----------------------------------------------------------
David Skogman picked up an offer from Rutgers. He appears to be on their backup list. They have one spot left and are bringing in another player for a visit this weekend. They haven't set up a visit for Skogman yet.

Zane Meeks will play his senior year at prep school powerhouse Brewster Academy of New Hampshire, preseason #1 ranked prep school team in the country. I was looking for info on Meeks a few weeks ago and saw a video of his AAU team. Meeks was on the bench with a walking boot on his foot. That injury may explain why his recruiting went quiet. It also may have a part in his transfer.
MNORM liked this
 #4674  by tya1
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:45 pm
Another story about Kenney's commitment -

LINK

Furman was his only D1 offer, although he was drawing attention from some other schools including UNC-Greensboro and UNC-Wilmington. He made a visit to Kent State last year.
OK, so what’s a Palladin?

Colin Kenney’s had the question posed to him a number of times since the Marquette senior guard committed to play basketball for Furman on Sunday.

“It’s a type of knight,” Kenney said. “People come up to me, asking me about the name. I knew how to say it, but I didn’t know what it was. There’s a statue of one on a horse (on campus).”

Kenney visted the Southern Conference school in Greenville, S.C. last weekend, enjoyed the local fare of pulled pork and came home with a scholarship in tow, accepting coach Bob Richey’s offer to be a Paladin.

“I had an idea they were going to offer, they were just waiting for me to come down to make it official,” Kenney said. “It’s a beautiful school. I like the campus. It felt like home. Watching practices, I got a good feel for the team. (Richey)’s a coach who’s big on guard scoring, playing two point guards at the same time. They feel like I can come in and fit in well with the team.”
 #4676  by Paul C
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 pm
Was hoping to see a commit from Ques Glover. Looked like it was between us and UNCC and he’s visited both campuses.
 #4677  by Monday
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Kenney. . .enjoyed the local fare of pulled pork
I hope it was Mike and Jeff's. Can we get any insider info on this?