• Wofford and the Finals

#11894  by FUPlayer74
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 pm
Furman's endowment is 3 times the size of Wofford's. And Furman spends more on athletics than any other member of the Socon. I wouldn't poopoo Furman's commitment to athletics.
soconjohn liked this
 #11895  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Furman's endowment is 3 times the size of Wofford's. And Furman spends more on athletics than any other member of the Socon. I wouldn't poopoo Furman's commitment to athletics.
Does Furman have an endowment dedicated to athletics?

Coach Johnson gave $1 million to endow football (HC?); beyond that. I don't know of any endowments to athletics (tennis?). I'm sure there are some, but do they total $45 million?
 #11897  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:09 pm
And I am not going to sit here in compare coaches...I think both Medved and Richey have benefitted Furman for who they are as people...I am so proud and appreciative of both of them...They cleaned up the crap storm left by Jackson faster than I ever thought possible.
Last edited by soconjohn on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #11898  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:10 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Where do coaches' salaries rank in D-1? What percentile?

I don't know, but I do know that any coach with any success (other than those in sports with benefactors, e.g., X-Country/track) quickly bolts for greener pastures. So, the "commitment" must not equate to having competitive salaries. When Drake of all places can give your BB coach a 75-100% raise, then you need to ask yourself just how committed you really are.
soconjohn liked this
 #11900  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:16 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm
Fessor, Drake plays in the Pioneer League and has non-scholarship football!!!!!
Wait, I thought football not only financed itself but financed all non-revenue sports as well?

You can't on the one hand say football is needed because it pays all the bills and on the other hand say it's a liability. Pick one.
Affirm liked this
 #11901  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
I would.
And I highly doubt our ATHLETIC endowment is 3x theirs, even if our university endowment may be.
Fessor, gman liked this
 #11915  by FUPlayer74
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am
Doesn't matter if the funding comes from an " athletic" bucket or not. If Furman is spending $22million per year on sports, where do you think that money comes from?
Fessor liked this
 #11919  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 am
Fessor wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:16 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 pm
Fessor, Drake plays in the Pioneer League and has non-scholarship football!!!!!
Wait, I thought football not only financed itself but financed all non-revenue sports as well?

You can't on the one hand say football is needed because it pays all the bills and on the other hand say it's a liability. Pick one.
At a place like Drake (and Wichita state...) basketball is the only game in town. Resources can be devoted there in a way other schools cannot.

Football at FU clearly does not pay any bills.
 #11924  by furpop16
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am
CharlieFU wrote:

Oops, Charlie. You know where this conversation is gonna go, now.

Is everybody okay if we have it in the off-season? We need to be focused on the business at hand!
FUKA61 and 1 others liked this
 #11926  by FU3
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:55 am
Fessor wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:10 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Where do coaches' salaries rank in D-1? What percentile?

I don't know, but I do know that any coach with any success (other than those in sports with benefactors, e.g., X-Country/track) quickly bolts for greener pastures. So, the "commitment" must not equate to having competitive salaries. When Drake of all places can give your BB coach a 75-100% raise, then you need to ask yourself just how committed you really are.
Doug Allison has been at Furman Soccer for 23 years, Andrew Barr has coached Women's Soccer for 15 years and by any measure both have had tremendous success. Like every small mid- major coaches are going to be poached at various times by folks with money to throw around. Mike Buddie has done a great job in putting athletics back on the front burner and appears to have the full support of the administration and Board of Trustees.
fufanatic, FUKA61, FUBeAR liked this
 #11934  by Jasper
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:07 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:09 pm
And I am not going to sit here in compare coaches...I think both Medved and Richey have benefitted Furman for who they are as people...I am so proud and appreciative of both of them...They cleaned up the crap storm left by Jackson faster than I ever thought possible.
Niko Medved cleaned up Jackson's mess and he was rewarded for it by getting higher paying job offers. That's the way stuff works.
 #11938  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am
CharlieFU wrote:

Oops, Charlie. You know where this conversation is gonna go, now.

Is everybody okay if we have it in the off-season? We need to be focused on the business at hand!
No.

FUBeAR is never OK with ever having any conversation here even remotely related to the topic to which the prior post alludes. Furman Football will never recede in any way whatsoever and continuing to even bring up the topic is a waste of keystrokes, pixels, and Stumpy's storage capacity.

BTW - Drake HAS a Football Team...and they darn near beat a P5 / Big 12 Iowa State Team just this past season.
BTW2 - https://shockernet.net/register & https://www.drakenation.com/Register.as ... 54frjgvfrr...enjoy yourselves!

GO FURMAN BASKETBALL!
#FUATT
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #11959  by Fessor
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:44 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 pm
#FUATT
Just figured this out.

Couldn't understand why we would have a beef with a telecom provider, er, media company.
FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.