• B-ball trivia

#8518  by s60
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm
Fessor wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:08 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:49 am
I think it was Ray Miller that led the team in scoring one year and then left? I can't help wondering what ever happened to him?
Correct. Excellent question: I never heard about him again. That was a tough year but it ended well by beating SC in Greenville.
-
It was said that Ray Miller was transferring to Murray State, but I don't think he played there

Furman lost to SC in Greenville. Furman won the rematch in Columbia, in the next to last regular season game. Jeff Deal had his best game in the win.
 #8519  by Fessor
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:10 pm
s60 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:01 pm
Fessor wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:08 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:49 am
I think it was Ray Miller that led the team in scoring one year and then left? I can't help wondering what ever happened to him?
Correct. Excellent question: I never heard about him again. That was a tough year but it ended well by beating SC in Greenville.
-
It was said that Ray Miller was transferring to Murray State, but I don't think he played there

Furman lost to SC in Greenville. Furman won the rematch in Columbia, in the next to last regular season game. Jeff Deal had his best game in the win.
You're right. It was the following year (1976-77) that Furman won the game in Greenville in the last regular season game of the year.
 #8618  by ccoates
 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 am
s60 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:15 pm
Fessor wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:50 pm
Special bonus question:

Name the player who played for two Furman Head Coaches but who never played for Furman.
-

Artis Gilmore

Great piece of trivia.

As another ironic bit of trivia, Gilmore did make his collegiate debut in Alley Gym as a freshman for Gardner Webb.

I do not remember whether it was a pre-season scrimmage or the first game of the year. I was Student Asst SID and was told by Bobby Batson (SID), Coach Selvy, and Alan LeForce (freshman coach) to spread the word that a 7 footer (plus 2) was going to be playing against our Frosh in "the Gym."

Since the Gym had no seats (and still doesn't) it was a standing room crowd. It was also an overflow crowd. 3-4 deep all around the gym. When Gilmore entered the gym for warmups (sans his trademark afro) he had to duck his head to get through the door and was greeted by a collective OOOOOO!

We won the game. I don't remember the score. I mean it was 1967 for God's sake.
FUKA61, Fessor liked this
 #8625  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:13 pm
Cool story.