• FU vs. WCU Saturday Dec. 1st

#7292  by youwouldno
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:05 pm
WCU is not good at all. It was just a poor performance by the Paladins. But when you are 17 point favorites per Pomeroy, there is some margin of error. In 5 D-I games, Furman has played very well in 2, pretty well in another 1, and poorly in 2 . . . because of the opponents in those last 2, the result was still (very narrow) wins.

Getting Brown back is essential. Furman's offense just isn't the same with below-average/poor outside shooting, which is currently reflected not only in the subpar 3-point shooting percentage but also just the number of outside shots taken (lower relative to the rest of D-I than every season since at least 2001, except the 9-21 season in 2014). And the offense is probably turning the ball over more as a result too, because those 3-point attempts are being replaced by plays with a higher turnover rate (e.g., trying to make difficult drives or inside passes). And on top of all that, it makes it much easier for defenses to focus on Rafferty, which isn't stopping him from dominating only because he's unstoppable.

To really have a big year, Brown needs to come back strong, Hunter/Bothwell need to be threats from the outside, and Lyons needs to tweak his shot selection. The current approach is going to result in a significant number of losses otherwise.
bj93, MNORM liked this
 #7294  by tim
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm
Wonder whats up with Jalen Williams? With Rafferty in foul trouble,I got tired of watching their big no. 4 shooting layups.
furpep, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #7296  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm
Wonder whats up with Jalen Williams? With Rafferty in foul trouble,I got tired of watching their big no. 4 shooting layups.

I was thinking this as well, seems Jalen Williams would have given us a needed defensive presence
furpep liked this
 #7300  by Fessor
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:24 pm
Shout out to Clay Mounce. 48 minutes played in a 50 minute game. 3 others logged 40+.
Mounce, in both his physique and his game, reminds me of former Tar Heel Bobby Jones.
Last edited by Fessor on Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUKA61 and 1 others liked this
 #7301  by PaladinPower
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:48 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:05 pm
WCU is not good at all. It was just a poor performance by the Paladins. But when you are 17 point favorites per Pomeroy, there is some margin of error. In 5 D-I games, Furman has played very well in 2, pretty well in another 1, and poorly in 2 . . . because of the opponents in those last 2, the result was still (very narrow) wins.

Getting Brown back is essential. Furman's offense just isn't the same with below-average/poor outside shooting, which is currently reflected not only in the subpar 3-point shooting percentage but also just the number of outside shots taken (lower relative to the rest of D-I than every season since at least 2001, except the 9-21 season in 2014). And the offense is probably turning the ball over more as a result too, because those 3-point attempts are being replaced by plays with a higher turnover rate (e.g., trying to make difficult drives or inside passes). And on top of all that, it makes it much easier for defenses to focus on Rafferty, which isn't stopping him from dominating only because he's unstoppable.

To really have a big year, Brown needs to come back strong, Hunter/Bothwell need to be threats from the outside, and Lyons needs to tweak his shot selection. The current approach is going to result in a significant number of losses otherwise.
It is conference play. Sure WCU may not be top tier of the Socon but every team is going to play tough - especially against us with a target on our backs.. The tougher team won tonight. Period. It 8s obvious we need to shoot better, and that will improve with Brown back. A team doesn’t just randomly go 8-0 because they are so bad like you suggest.
 #7302  by youwouldno
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
A team doesn’t just randomly go 8-0 because they are so bad like you suggest.
I didn't say anything remotely like this . . . I think it would be better not to misrepresent the views of others.
 #7303  by PaladinPower
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:51 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
A team doesn’t just randomly go 8-0 because they are so bad like you suggest.
I didn't say anything remotely like this . . . I think it would be better not to misrepresent the views of others.
You talking about how bad WCU doesn’t really portray us as a good... Just my opinion on your analysis. Forgive me if I misrepresented your views.

“The current approach will result in a significant number of losses.” Current approach has led us to tight games but we won all of them.
 #7308  by youwouldno
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:29 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
“The current approach will result in a significant number of losses.” Current approach has led us to tight games but we won all of them.
The simple fact is that playing at that level will not result in wins against good teams. That's why Richey wasn't happy with how the team played, per his post-game comments. Unless you think Richey was just making those issues up?
 #7309  by PaladinPower
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:29 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
The simple fact is that playing at that level will not result in wins against good teams. That's why Richey wasn't happy with how the team played, per his post-game comments. Unless you think Richey was just making those issues up?
Tons of things to improve on. It’s not like we should all be thrilled with 3 Games going to OT, but we should be pretty damn happy that we won each one of them. I don’t see us suffering significant losses with the grit shown so far this season is all. Won’t win them all but grinding out tight games has been promising.
 #7312  by tya1
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:11 am
This was the first game where I thought the inexperience in our rotation really showed. We had too many cases of players playing tentatively or going to the other extreme and trying too hard. There was a lot of standing and watching on offense. A hallmark of the season before last night was the excellent, crisp ball movement and player movement. Hopefully we can loosen up after slipping by with this one.

We only shot 25% from three point range tonight. Our offense is going to struggle when that happens. Of course, standing around is a big part of that poor shooting too. I think Brown's return will help a lot with that.

A win is a win.