• Furman vs. ODU Nov. 18th 2:30pm

#60519  by Paladin91
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:51 pm
I think one thing we underestimate is how good Alex Hunter and Conley Garrison were as shooters last year. Pegues has shown that he might be able to fill Hunter’s void but we are still missing a playmaker to replace Garrison’s basketball smarts - Garrison was always consistent and found a way to get others involved.
Davemeister liked this
 #60521  by saltyshaker
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:55 pm
two 5 point losses.need to win sunday vrs usc or davidson and salvage one game out of 3.i am not as discouraged as some.both of our losses are to teams who shot lights out.yes our defense could be better.again with our depth i'd consider full court pressure much earlier in the game.
would expect our ranking to drop a bit but plenty of time to rebuild.i think our roster is talented and our coaches know what they are doing.i believe we will win over 20 games and finally win the socon tourny and make the ncaa dance in march.
hypercycloid, Bootie liked this
 #60524  by saltyshaker
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:00 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:51 pm
I think one thing we underestimate is how good Alex Hunter and Conley Garrison were as shooters last year. Pegues has shown that he might be able to fill Hunter’s void but we are still missing a playmaker to replace Garrison’s basketball smarts - Garrison was always consistent and found a way to get others involved.
i think jp, whitt ,and anderson will fill this void this year.hopefully sooner than later.
 #60525  by purplehorse
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:02 pm
Hien 4 points per game in Charleston.

Foster 2-14 shooting in two days.

We should be able to beat SC but you never know. I cannot imagine SC beating Davidson based on what I saw yesterday.

I cannot even imagine what we would be like without Bothwell and Slawson coming back. Our ceiling is still high but our basement is low-I think an “any given day” type of team as far as any win or loss. It is all about conference play at this point.

We can still be a very good team. It is not how you start but how you finish. We will get better.
 #60526  by Fuonetime
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:42 pm
Disappointing 2 games in Charleston. We were out of it in the first half of both games. It took a monumental effort 2nd half against PSU to get back in the game and against ODU we had to play helter skelter full court dense to make a run. ODU has lots of new players and coaches as opposed to our veteran players and coaches. Yet we looked very tentative like we were the team full on new players and coaches. We do have talent but we have more work to do than I thought. A win on Sunday would do a lot for confidence for players and our fans.
 #60528  by Louis Tully
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:29 pm
12 of 33 from 3 vs 7 of 13 from 3. More two’s and less 3’s ok be encouraged.
 #60529  by Louis Tully
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:59 pm
I knew we were over-hyped, over-rated but didn’t think we were this bad.
Sounds like some Clemson fans I know. Perpetually dissatisfied.
Roundball liked this
 #60532  by Jasper
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:01 pm
Some of you need to stop this pathetic whining and childish negativism. Losing a couple of games to good teams may be the best thing that happened to this team. They have one goal and only one. Win the tournament in Asheville in 2023 and go to the NCAA championship tourney. THATS IT! This Charleston event in November doesn’t mean shit. Right now this team is not good enough to do that but that does not mean they won’t be when it really counts. They lost two key players from last year and it takes some time to adjust to that. They absolutely need to pick up the defensive intensity for starters. There was a ton of open shots allowed to the teams that beat us in the first 2 games. Get in their friggin jocks and watch the 70% shooting disappear. They need to stop reading and listening to the fans and media about how good they are and challenge the other guys from the time they get off the friggin bus. We’ve got 10 or so very usable players. Mix and match the rotation till we get the right combine. Let the coaching staff do that job. This is a highly potential team that just played against better competition than they are going to see in the SoCon. Make the necessary adjustments to beat teams of this caliber and the SoCon will be a walk in the park. Get real and lower your expectations to realizable goals and root these young guys on instead of this childish bullshit and finger pointing. Let them and the coaching staff take the necessary steps. IMO, finishing in the bottom of the Charleston Classic may just be the catalyst to a friggin NCAA bid. These kids had the balls to come back in two losses in which they shot poorly. Show the same toughness and put the crying towels away. Now let’s watch the Dins beat the snot out of Wofford tomorrow and man up.
Louis Tully, cavedweller2, FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #60533  by furmandad
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:46 pm
Good post Jasper. The chief whiner you mention is not a fan - don’t understand why he spends time on the board. Maybe just has nothing else to do. Very sad.
 #60540  by jesse174
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:42 pm
no offensive continuity on this team. The only way they score is on a fast break or odd man rush. So the best way for them to win is press defensively the whole game. This will disrupt the offense of the opponent and give Furman fast breaks on turnovers. If they can shoot better, then maybe they won't have to press the entire game but so far I don't see good shooting on this team...poor even from the line. Haven't seen much from Whitt and looking at his past stats there wasnt much to look at. Pegues has a good shot but we need another shooter....maybe Anderson. But until they figure things out play aggressive defense with 10 players if necessary and our offense will improve.
furpop16 liked this
 #60541  by fu77fan
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:46 pm
We need to play better first halves which will put us in a position to win.
Losing these two games should help us in the long run. We have a lot to work on . We got out rebounded today by 14. We obviously did not play good defense. We did not shoot well.
But we did not give up and we continued to play hard. Hopefully we will learn from these games and get better!!
 #60545  by FurmAlum
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:35 pm
Not only were Hunter and Garrison reliable shooters but they were also great defenders. And 5th year seniors.

We have some new players that have not jelled yet but I still see a lot of potential. These Nov. games against good competition have exposed some weaknesses. But the bottom line is how much can you improve. The teams that can improve the most from now until March will do the best in March.

Not giving up on this team.
Davemeister liked this
 #60547  by purplehorse
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:03 pm
Hope we beat SC but it is possible our only WIN will be playing in this and getting experience. The Charleston tourney has taken place since 2008, the Myrtle Beach tourney since 2018, both owned by ESPN. Sad we are not 1 of the 16 teams year in and year out. I guess you have to be ranked at a certain level to be invited. I think the experience will be invaluable.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.