• Who will coach Furman next year?

#52036  by Fuonetime
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:33 am
Lets throw a big bone. More money, big incentives for achievements on court and in classroom, bigger budget for travel, recruiting, etc, and immediate upgrade to Timmons. CBR provides great value to FU and we need to do whatever we can to keep him. FU BB is source of pride for the University and Alumni. Time is of the essence. Get ‘er done!
Paladin575, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #52058  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:04 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:20 am
After reading this, I am more convinced than ever that S. Carolina does have have the smarts or the guts to hire Coach Richey. “ Timeline? Search firm? Answering key questions about South Carolina’s MBB coach search.”

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... rylink=cpy
Why would the guy at App. St. be on the list? They just lost to Upstate in the Basketball Classic thingy.
Roundball liked this
 #52060  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:09 am
Still think CBR is a leading candidate if not #1. He’s had 5 years as a head cowch. Don’t think not winning a championship or making the ncaa will be a factor. Anyone with a brain knows he was one second and a miracle shot away from knocking both doors down. 22 plus wins every season is the real factor. I’m nervous and skeered. :shock:
Affirm, bj93 liked this
 #52064  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Still think CBR is a leading candidate if not #1. He’s had 5 years as a head cowch. Don’t think not winning a championship or making the ncaa will be a factor. Anyone with a brain knows he was one second and a miracle shot away from knocking both doors down. 22 plus wins every season is the real factor. I’m nervous and skeered. :shock:
Seems to me that any Furman supporter who does not think we are likely to lose CBR is “in denial”.
apaladin liked this
 #52066  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:12 pm
apaladin wrote:

Maybe one way to feel better would be to research power conference head coaching hires in recent years, and try to find someone without an NCAA trip, any time as a high-major assistant, or close ties to the hiring program. That should keep you busy for a while because I couldn't come up with a single one, though I'm sure they exist, if you go back far enough anyway.

There is a 0% chance CBR is at the top of their list or even in the top 5. Most likely hire is a proven high-major winner with "baggage" issues that preclude a better power conference gig.

Obviously CBR will leave sooner or later, but it's very unlikely to be SC.
 #52070  by Affirm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:00 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:12 pm
apaladin wrote:

Maybe one way to feel better would be to research power conference head coaching hires in recent years, and try to find someone without an NCAA trip, any time as a high-major assistant, or close ties to the hiring program. That should keep you busy for a while because I couldn't come up with a single one, though I'm sure they exist, if you go back far enough anyway.

There is a 0% chance CBR is at the top of their list or even in the top 5. Most likely hire is a proven high-major winner with "baggage" issues that preclude a better power conference gig.

Obviously CBR will leave sooner or later, but it's very unlikely to be SC.

Affirm did not say this year, technically.
 #52090  by jesse174
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:46 pm
Colin Kenney just entered the transfer portal. That makes 3 players transferring. Now we all know those 3 players will not play much anyway but it does make you wonder what's going on at Furman..I would think a bit of unrest with the players and all the coaches...I will be happy when I hear that Richey will not be going to USC. This time of year is no fun.
 #52093  by Roundball
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:57 pm
din23 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:48 pm
Unrest? A senior, a walk on, and a guy who never played this year, and you consider that unrest?
Probably means Bothwell and Slawson are coming back.
 #52101  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:57 pm
din23 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:48 pm
Unrest? A senior, a walk on, and a guy who never played this year, and you consider that unrest?
Probably means Bothwell and Slawson are coming back.
Goodness I hope so
dornb liked this
 #52106  by AstroDin
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:35 pm
I'm starting to feel the longer Tanner takes to make the decision - the less likely it will be Richey.
My bet is they will hire Dennis Gates from Cleveland St.

I also just don't see Richey as a fit at MissSt — Matt McMahon would be a great fit for them.
BTW… had no idea Matt McMahon's wife (Mary) played basketball for Furman.
McMahon played college ball at APP.
 #52108  by AstroDin
 Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:38 pm
A little salary info —
McMahon at Murray St got a raise from 300K to 500K in 2019, his contract is up after next season.
Curious why SC isn't going after him.

Gates at Cleveland St also makes 550K is deal also signed in 2019 was for 3.2 MIL.