• Coach Richey

#51985  by Davemeister
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 am
purplehorse wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:33 pm
If CBR comes back with Slawson and Bothwell it won’t be a rebuilding year.

That's starting to look like a Mighty Big "If".
 #51986  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:22 am
Hard to imagine a P5 school taking Richey at this moment over some of the other candidates mentioned, to go along with no NCAA tourney trips his record in March is 4-7, how will that sit with a P5 fan base?
 #51993  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:33 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Hard to imagine a P5 school taking Richey at this moment over some of the other candidates mentioned, to go along with no NCAA tourney trips his record in March is 4-7, how will that sit with a P5 fan base?
Of the other candidates mentioned, most or perhaps all seem to have some amount of baggage or negatives of some sort.
 #51994  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Of the other candidates mentioned, most or perhaps all seem to have some amount of baggage or negatives of some sort.

Yep
Many in USC fan base seem to like Sean Miller and Greg Marshall

Both come with significant baggage indeed
 #51995  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:38 pm
They are also interested in mid major coaches:
Richey
Paris
Kelsey
Gates
Mcmahon

And USC alums:
Boyton
Mckie
 #51996  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:39 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 pm
affirm wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Yep
Many in USC fan base seem to like Sean Miller and Greg Marshall

Both come with significant baggage indeed
BJ McKie - don’t know any negatives there.
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #51997  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:39 pm
Those would be the 9 candidates I have heard about, anybody know of any others?
 #52003  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:23 pm
As a side note - UGA quickly hired UF's head coach.

That may be some insight into the thinking of these SEC programs. UGA had a terrible season and a name head coach. They didn't go mid-major route, but immediately pivoted to an established head coach at the upper levels.
 #52005  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:59 pm
Full list of USC candidates:

Sean Miller
Greg Marshall
Bob Richey
Lamont Paris
Pat Kelsey
Dennis Gates
Matt Mcmahon
Mike Boyton
BJ Mckie
Jerome Tang
Mark Turgeon
John Beilein
Bryce Drew
Archie Miller
Thad Matta
 #52007  by FurmAlum
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:29 pm
Beilein would be my choice but only if Ritchie turned it down.
 #52008  by cavedweller2
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:42 pm
Carolina folks would not mind Greg Marshall. No one cares what happened at Wichita State.
 #52020  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:07 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

Sean Miller
Greg Marshall
Bob Richey
Lamont Paris
Pat Kelsey
Dennis Gates
Matt Mcmahon
Mike Boyton
BJ Mckie
Jerome Tang
Mark Turgeon
John Beilein
Bryce Drew
Archie Miller
Thad Matta
Ryan Odom, son of Dave, currently Utah State HC, previous HC at UMBC and Lenoir-Rhyne, one time assistant at Furman. Is he off the list?
Rick Pitino. Is he off the list?
 #52021  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:58 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:07 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

Sean Miller
Greg Marshall
Bob Richey
Lamont Paris
Pat Kelsey
Dennis Gates
Matt Mcmahon
Mike Boyton
BJ Mckie
Jerome Tang
Mark Turgeon
John Beilein
Bryce Drew
Archie Miller
Thad Matta
Ryan Odom, son of Dave, currently Utah State HC, previous HC at UMBC and Lenoir-Rhyne, one time assistant at Furman. Is he off the list?
Rick Pitino. Is he off the list?

Those two would be candidates as well for sure
 #52022  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:59 pm
Seems to be a bidding war going on right now for the services of Sean Miller between South Carolina and Xavier
 #52024  by FurmanATT
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:42 pm
I probably should be writing a column and probably will, but I haven't got a column in me yet, so ... just some thoughts.
The Furman beat this year was really enjoyable for me. I enjoyed interacting with Richey and the players. My greatest frustration was not having the time, in some ways, to use all the information I thought valuable.
I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed just watching a team play as much as this one.
I think Bob is comfortable at Furman, but every coach aspires to greatness and either finds it or the Peter Principle.
I hope Carolina doesn't have enough sense to hire him. I hope the Carolina fans will fall victim to their usual delusions of grandeur. I hope they want that FInal 4, Power 5, proven-commodity state of mind that has failed them so many times.
I also think Bob appreciates what he's got. He's at a place where he develops talent and builds a team. He is valued, respected, revered.
It has been my observation over the years that at the major-college level, everyone can coach. Some have players who can't be coached. I'm not making some snobbish insinuation regarding intelligence. I'm talking about the commitments a coach sometimes has to make to recruit can't-miss, 5-star, whatever, recruits. Sometimes he can't control a player who becomes incorrigible due to the commitments made to get him to the school.
If I were Carolina, Richey is whom I'd hire.
I think Lamont Paris is more what they want, but I can't speak for the folks in Columbia, and God forbid, wouldn't.
I'm impressed by Paris, too. I'd hire him. But what do I know? I think Paris is a good coach who can assemble talented players and get them to play together.
I can't blame Bob for going if he gets the offer, but I'd sure miss him, and I'd worry about what happens to him in Columbia, where lots of coaches in lots of sports have been chewed up and spat out.
When I get more, I'll write about it on the site. The regionals at the Well may offer some inspiration. Right now I'm looking forward to watching that as closely as my access allows. -- MD
hypercycloid, Chuckles liked this