#27400  by Affirm
 Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:27 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:06 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:08 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:59 pm
apaladin is correct. There would be many, including me, that would no longer support FU athletics if we moved to D2. And I agree that we would be worse off financially if we did.

(As an aside, Austin Peay went to non-scholarship football about 15 years ago. It was a disaster. They reinstated scholarship football and the university has thrived ever since.

Let's table that idiotic idea.
Do not twist what anyone wrote. Pioneer League is not D2, it is D1.
Pioneer also makes no sense. It is D1 football in name only. Only one team within driving distance. Teams in New York, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky and California. Travel expenses along with reduced revenue would make this a disaster also.
Davidson, Presbyterian, and Campbell are 3 teams within driving distance. So is Morehead State if you consider Samford University within driving distance, since the distances from Furman to Morehead State and to Samford are approximately equal
Obviously those 4 schools have not found it to be a disaster, nor has University of San Diego or Drake or Marist or Dayton or Butler or Valparaiso. Maybe Jacksonville University did.
I would expect that we would make such a move only if the travel expenses and reduced revenue would not be made up by spending fewer dollars on football scholarships.
Also, I did mention that efforts should be made, if we pursued this, to bring Wofford and Citadel with us. If that succeeded, then there would be 6 teams within driving distance.
Also, I did not say that Pioneer League is the only option. I believe that we should be open to considering various options.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #27401  by cavedweller2
 Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:54 pm
I wouldn't mind if Davidson rejoined. I am hate them long time.
Roundball liked this
 #27403  by Affirm
 Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:08 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:47 am
affirm wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
apaladin is correct. There would be many, including me, that would no longer support FU athletics if we moved to D2. And I agree that we would be worse off financially if we did.

(As an aside, Austin Peay went to non-scholarship football about 15 years ago. It was a disaster. They reinstated scholarship football and the university has thrived ever since.

If you think football needs to be in the Pioneer, why don't you get off your ass and accomplish it instead of annoying the hell out of people on a message board. Start a campaign, go to the administration etc. Good luck with that.
I have said that we need to consider that as an option and a possible alternative. There is nothing wrong with looking at what the various options may be and making a sound decision, whether that is to stay status quo or whether it is to make a change. Please don't rudely express your anger. I do not intend to annoy people, but I will continue to express my thoughts when I want to do so.
 #27408  by tim
 Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:03 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:08 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:47 am
affirm wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

If you think football needs to be in the Pioneer, why don't you get off your ass and accomplish it instead of annoying the hell out of people on a message board. Start a campaign, go to the administration etc. Good luck with that.
I have said that we need to consider that as an option and a possible alternative. There is nothing wrong with looking at what the various options may be and making a sound decision, whether that is to stay status quo or whether it is to make a change. Please don't rudely express your anger. I do not intend to annoy people, but I will continue to express my thoughts when I want to do so.
Express your opinion to our football players. Tell one of them you would "consider" taking their scholly to help basketball.
 #27418  by apaladin
 Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:07 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Pioneer also makes no sense. It is D1 football in name only. Only one team within driving distance. Teams in New York, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky and California. Travel expenses along with reduced revenue would make this a disaster also.
Davidson, Presbyterian, and Campbell are 3 teams within driving distance. So is Morehead State if you consider Samford University within driving distance, since the distances from Furman to Morehead State and to Samford are approximately equal
Obviously those 4 schools have not found it to be a disaster, nor has University of San Diego or Drake or Marist or Dayton or Butler or Valparaiso. Maybe Jacksonville University did.
I would expect that we would make such a move only if the travel expenses and reduced revenue would not be made up by spending fewer dollars on football scholarships.
Also, I did mention that efforts should be made, if we pursued this, to bring Wofford and Citadel with us. If that succeeded, then there would be 6 teams within driving distance.
Also, I did not say that Pioneer League is the only option. I believe that we should be open to considering various options.
Pretty sure Campbell is in the Big South. Samford is the farthest in the SoCon. Morehead St. would be the third closest in the Pioneer with no others driveable. Big difference.
 #27432  by Affirm
 Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:07 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Pretty sure Campbell is in the Big South. Samford is the farthest in the SoCon. Morehead St. would be the third closest in the Pioneer with no others driveable. Big difference.
Yes, Campbell left Pioneer in 2017. I did not intentionally mislead with including them in Pioneer teams - I honestly forgot that they now are Big South. I apologize for my mistake. Your driving distance analysis is correct.
So our football team could bus to 1 Pioneer opponent each year and fly to 4 each year, with the other 5 conference games being at our place.
And if we got Wofford and/or Citadel to go with us to Pioneer, then we’d still have a max of 4 flights to games per 11 or 12 game season.
With Wofford and/or Citadel joining with us, we could fill our entire schedule with conference teams; or with only us joining Pioneer and making it 11 teams, then we’d only need 1 or 2 OOC games to fill up the schedule.
I am not trying to argue that Pioneer is our best option. I’m sharing comments while thinking about this one option.

Recent Topics

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:48 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.