• NIT

#26472  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:29 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm
Over 300,000 have died from the flu this year.
I don't believe that number.
Found an aritcle that says possibly 30,000 have died from October to Feb. from flu
https://www.health.com/condition/cold-f ... every-year

"While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.
Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000. "
 #26473  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:57 pm
the 300,000 plus figure is worldwide, not just the U.S.
 #26476  by tim
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:40 pm
Total media freakout
 #26477  by FurmAlum
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:45 pm
If they don't want to have the NIT in New York at Madison Square Garden because of the Corona Virus, they could move it to Greenville and have it at the BSWA (how appropriate).

The entrances could be manned with BSW nurses and the fans made to go thru a tent before entering the arena where they would be doused with alcohol and then made to wear surgical scrubs (purple of course), booties, plastic hats, surgical masks, and gloves. It would be a sea of purple in the stands.

Fans that attend would be known as National Invitation Tournament Wellness Inside Together Survivors, or NITWITS.

Y'all can move this to General Idiocy if you would like.
furpop16, QCGlue liked this
 #26478  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 pm
Coronavirus is a political ploy...Nothing more...Flu is much more serious...The media thrives on stupid people and weake folks...Especially with millennials ...Wash your hands ...it’s simple...Ebola got less coverage a few years back
tim, FurmAlum liked this
 #26479  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:59 pm
Robert Morris and Hofstra both win which is good. Vermont struggling in semis.
 #26480  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Vermont wins and plays for their championship tomorrow night. Just need ND State to win next and it will be a good night.
 #26487  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:10 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Coronavirus is a political ploy...Nothing more...Flu is much more serious...The media thrives on stupid people and weake folks...Especially with millennials ...Wash your hands ...it’s simple...Ebola got less coverage a few years back
So Italy just shut their country down for sh*ts and giggles? That it’s not a big deal would be a shocker to every scientist and doctor in the world working on this crisis. It’s a big deal because it’s highly contagious and there’s no cure for it yet. So while the average person will get over it, the concern is that if we all go about our business, it could spread like wild fire and pose a real risk to people that have other health issues or have crappy or no healthcare. Having said that, I’m not changing my day to day other than being more aware, but I don’t claim to know more than scientists and doctors and will trust their judgement and expertise.
din23, Roundball, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #26490  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:01 am
I can't speak for Italy...I would assume healthcare is a little different there...I am speaking simply on the US..They don't report the 63,000 people that have survived this supposed death sentence.
 #26491  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:05 am
soconjohn wrote:
Ignorant post of the year.
hypercycloid liked this
 #26492  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:06 am
People forget that we are penalizing the student athletes instead of keeping them safe...They earned the right to play in these tournaments before crowds...They get penalized because of some weird cold...Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...If it were something like Ebola or something where the mortality rate was really high...I totally understand it...But let's show down everything for something with something like a 2.5% mortality rate...I don't get it.
 #26494  by soconjohn
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 am
Ok...Sorry for the earlier post...Probably was a bit ignorant, but it's just my opinion...I don't understand why everyone panics is all...I certainly don't want anyone to be in harm's way, but I just think people over-react...That's all...At least let kids come to games...They are immune to the virus...According to an article I just read in the Washington Post, mortality rates for those 10-39 years of age is 0.2%...Having said all this, I think very real precautions should be made against the virus, but it seems to me, if we're dealing with an unknown, we're singling out athletic events and not other aspects of life that have large gatherings of people...Don't have debates or have speeches...Shut down airports...Don't just penalize the student athletes by not having fans...Unfortunately, I think this is where we are headed...I have a strong suspicion the NCAA Tournament will be played in certain venues before empty stands...That's unfortunate.
 #26495  by tim
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:09 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:05 am
soconjohn wrote:
Ignorant post of the year.
Nope, total truth gman
 #26496  by tim
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 am
Ask Dr Drew. He says the press should be held accountable for the panic. We aren't dealing with the Black Plague here.
QCGlue liked this
 #26498  by tim
 Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 am
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:10 pm
soconjohn wrote:
So Italy just shut their country down for sh*ts and giggles? That it’s not a big deal would be a shocker to every scientist and doctor in the world working on this crisis. It’s a big deal because it’s highly contagious and there’s no cure for it yet. So while the average person will get over it, the concern is that if we all go about our business, it could spread like wild fire and pose a real risk to people that have other health issues or have crappy or no healthcare. Having said that, I’m not changing my day to day other than being more aware, but I don’t claim to know more than scientists and doctors and will trust their judgement and expertise.
So if you believe going about your business could spread it like wildfire, why aren't YOU changing your day to day activities?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by The Jackal

Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:13 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.