• Next year

#885  by silentbob
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 am
Paul C wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 pm
I think his biggest area of improvement is shot selection. He could be a 40%+ 3 point shooter by just NOT taking some of the shots he does.
In part, I agree. At the same time, part of what has made Lyons a good player - and a great player starting next season - is his confidence. Don't ever want him to lose one iota of that. I do think/hope we will see him drive more.

Biggest thing next year will be trying to replace Daniel Fowler's defense. He's a special kid in a lot of ways, but he was the best defender in the SoCon.
hypercycloid and 1 others liked this
 #915  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 pm
Speaking of the video "boards" does anyone know if it will be just boards or will it be a video scoreboard over center court. Of course the latter would be more desirable although prolly more costly but it wouldn't have to be huge.
 #922  by Fessor
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 am
It's nice to see these conversations. How long has it been since we've had a reason to be excited about the basketball program?
It still needs to translate into excitement outside of the UFFP and into growth of the fan base, especially on the younger end. I defer to others more plugged into the local community, but I'm not sure there's evidence of that happening yet, at least not in any major way.
AllKnighter, FU69 liked this
 #925  by CharlieFU
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 am
The Roundball Club has grown a bit and now includes some younger folks.

People need to invite their friends and neighbors to games. In some instances they will “adopt” Furman as their team, if they have moved here from another area.

Every little bit helps.
AllKnighter, Fessor, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #926  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:32 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 am
The Roundball Club has grown a bit and now includes some younger folks.

People need to invite their friends and neighbors to games. In some instances they will “adopt” Furman as their team, if they have moved here from another area.

Every little bit helps.

Perhaps I am too pragmatic, but to get folks invested in doing something it either needs to be (1) necessary (work, the dentist, car tag renewals, etc.) or (2) more interesting that whatever else it is you could be doing.

Greenville is an entertaining place. Folks don't want for something to do. Furman has to figure out how to make Furman basketball more interesting than one of the multitude of options currently available to folks that might be inclined to come watch a game.
AllKnighter, dornb liked this
 #928  by CharlieFU
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 am
I agree with you.
 #936  by Paul C
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm
FWIW, I think attracting more students is a more urgent and impactful strategy than trying to convince more "adults" from the community to come.

First, it creates a more exciting atmosphere, which will attract local attendance. AND it is part of the process if creating fans for life, which we all are, due to our experiences on campus.

Underlying all that, of course, is winning.

So keep winning, invest in getting the students to show up, and the rest can take care of itself.
dornb, FU69 liked this
 #937  by MNORM
 Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:15 pm
The administration should figure out a way to incorporate a shuttle that can take students back and forth from the North Village to the arena on game days. Just a thought.
dornb liked this
 #1003  by FU69
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:01 am
MNORM wrote:
The administration should figure out a way to incorporate a shuttle that can take students back and forth from the North Village to the arena on game days. Just a thought.
They all drive their own cars.
 #1004  by JohnKX512
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 pm
FU69 wrote:
MNORM wrote:
All Students are required to park in their designated parking area per Parking Pass code.
When I was at Furman, FuPo really enjoyed finding a parking sticker in the wrong color lot.

I don't want to drag this out more so we can all whine. I am just stating a fact that Furman students park in their designated area and then are walking everywhere else.

Also, someone earlier said that Furman is becoming a commuter school. That is a load of crap. Almost nobody at Furman goes home on weekends, definitely less than my friends did at USC and Clemson.

Furman is a fudging hard school. Students are working harder there than they will be when they get a job, Furman was harder than grad school for me. If they don't have the time or energy to go to a basketball game then that is fine because they are paying a lot of money for one of the top educations in the country.

Please can we stop blaming students for not showing up at the game. It is not a requirement.
paladinfan12 liked this
 #1005  by Flagman
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:39 pm
I spent last week with several Furman students. Sadly, none of them had attended a basketball game (one was a junior), and only one had attended a football game. We have to do a better job, especially during freshman orientation, to sell the total college experience which includes athletics.
dornb, furpop16 liked this
 #1006  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 pm
FU69 wrote:
MNORM wrote:
All Students are required to park in their designated parking area per Parking Pass code.
When I was at Furman, FuPo really enjoyed finding a parking sticker in the wrong color lot.

I don't want to drag this out more so we can all whine. I am just stating a fact that Furman students park in their designated area and then are walking everywhere else.

Also, someone earlier said that Furman is becoming a commuter school. That is a load of crap. Almost nobody at Furman goes home on weekends, definitely less than my friends did at USC and Clemson.

Furman is a fudging hard school. Students are working harder there than they will be when they get a job, Furman was harder than grad school for me. If they don't have the time or energy to go to a basketball game then that is fine because they are paying a lot of money for one of the top educations in the country.

Please can we stop blaming students for not showing up at the game. It is not a requirement.
I agree on a lot of this ... Furman was harder than grad school for me too. It's a really good school.

But can we please stop acting like it's Harvard? Or even Davidson. And can we please stop acting like students can't find time to attend sporting events? A lot of students at a lot of really good schools find the time. Support your school, and please make athletics part of the CLP program. If I have to go to a music performance or a speech from freaking Ann Coulter for credit (did both of those things along with getting tickets from FuPo), I should be able to get a few CLP credits a year for watching Furman - Western Carolina on a Tuesday night.
bj93, gman84 liked this
 #1008  by Jasper
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:15 pm
You had to go to a speech by Ann Coulter? That's inhumane. I'd rather be water boarded.
fufanatic, bj93 liked this
 #1010  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm
Furman has such a bright future in hoops...I am proud of this program and proud of what the four seniors have accomplished for Furman, as well as being thankful for Medved and Richey...How far this program has come is nothing short of remarkable!
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.