• 2022-23 SCHEDULE

#53566  by DungeonRealm
 Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm
If all the P6 schools are scared to play us we may as well just shoot for 30 wins then

Winning SoCon tourney and going to the big dance at 30-4 sounds pretty good to me lol
Fuonetime liked this
 #53567  by RaleighDin
 Tue May 17, 2022 3:50 pm
I do wonder how much of a regional / cost component there is to it as of right now. Meaning, ideally, we'd want to play P6 schools within a certain distance to control transportation costs and offset the lower buy $ available for those games. If that's the case, I wonder if there's a breaking point where we'd accept a game at say Gonzaga, even if we lose money to play the game when it's all said and done, because we believe that strongly in the potential for this years team to be truly special?
underjack, Fuonetime liked this
 #53572  by DungeonRealm
 Tue May 17, 2022 8:18 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
I do wonder how much of a regional / cost component there is to it as of right now. Meaning, ideally, we'd want to play P6 schools within a certain distance to control transportation costs and offset the lower buy $ available for those games. If that's the case, I wonder if there's a breaking point where we'd accept a game at say Gonzaga, even if we lose money to play the game when it's all said and done, because we believe that strongly in the potential for this years team to be truly special?
As long as we can break even we should be trying to play any 'Big Boy' type school in the country

I have a feeling that's how we are going after this schedule, but truly everyone in the entire country is scared to play us, most games we are going to have the 2 best players on the court, no matter who we play, with plenty of depth behind that
Fuonetime liked this
 #53574  by Fuonetime
 Wed May 18, 2022 4:45 am
Regarding OOC scheduling our number 1 priority should be Power 5 anytime anywhere. Number 2 would be challenging Mid Majors like Belmont. Would love to see game against Davidson. Number 3 would be opponents from areas where FU recruits like Florida, NC, Tennessee, Ohio, Mid West. Need to establish a presence and get more and better players.
GOAT, furpop16 liked this
 #53581  by Furmanoid
 Wed May 18, 2022 12:20 pm
The OOC schedule doesn't matter all that much does it? All that matters is the SoCon Tournament. Sure we should win the not-so-great SoCon next year, but I don't see why we should expect to be much improved over last year. So I'd be good with games against so so teams culminating in that 30-4 record and a tournament visit. If we are good enough to compete with big boys, let's do it in March. Let's establish dominance over the SoCon for a couple of years, THEN we can start playing big guys on national TV every couple of weeks. Some wins would lead to a recruiting explosion and then we really will be good for awhile.
 #53589  by apaladin
 Wed May 18, 2022 2:16 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
The OOC schedule doesn't matter all that much does it? All that matters is the SoCon Tournament. Sure we should win the not-so-great SoCon next year, but I don't see why we should expect to be much improved over last year. So I'd be good with games against so so teams culminating in that 30-4 record and a tournament visit. If we are good enough to compete with big boys, let's do it in March. Let's establish dominance over the SoCon for a couple of years, THEN we can start playing big guys on national TV every couple of weeks. Some wins would lead to a recruiting explosion and then we really will be good for awhile.
The ooc schedule certainly does matter, and it matters a lot. If all that matters is the SoCon tourney why bother with the regular season. Rankngs, Net, Kenpom, FPI all matter. You have to play some power teams to strengthen your schedule. I think we all would have loved an NIT bid this past year. To have a chance at an NIT bid you must have a top 75 ranking. If you have a weak schedule you’re not going to have a high ranking regardless of record. Our record wasn’t that great last season but we maintained a good ranking because of the schedule. Scheduling matters.
Roundball, Affirm liked this
 #53590  by apaladin
 Wed May 18, 2022 2:31 pm
RaleighDin wrote:
Don’t think region has anything to do with it. Taking a basketball team on the road is not that expensive. Samford made a west coast trip last year to California and Oregon and played one power team. VMI made a trip to Oregon and Washington and did not play a power team. We have played in Chicago and Philadelphia. I think FU will go wherever it needs to for good games. Our minor sports play all over the country for no money.
 #53591  by Furmanoid
 Wed May 18, 2022 3:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:16 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
The ooc schedule certainly does matter, and it matters a lot. If all that matters is the SoCon tourney why bother with the regular season. Rankngs, Net, Kenpom, FPI all matter. You have to play some power teams to strengthen your schedule. I think we all would have loved an NIT bid this past year. To have a chance at an NIT bid you must have a top 75 ranking. If you have a weak schedule you’re not going to have a high ranking regardless of record. Our record wasn’t that great last season but we maintained a good ranking because of the schedule. Scheduling matters.
OK it matters for the NIT. I just don’t think the NIT is a goal- especially not next season. We need to skip over the NIT step of development and move on to the NCAA. Need to view NIT as failure.
 #53594  by apaladin
 Wed May 18, 2022 4:14 pm
Considering the FU basketball history I would never consider the NIT as a failure. Ratings aka the regular season matters too if we would ever be considerd for an at-large. One thing we do need to do is enjoy the regular season next year and we all hope it will be very special. We have been disappointed 41 years in a row at the end so let’s enjoy the journey and not worry so much about the destination. I think we all can agree on that.
Affirm liked this
 #53598  by Affirm
 Wed May 18, 2022 8:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:14 pm
Considering the FU basketball history I would never consider the NIT as a failure. Ratings aka the regular season matters too if we would ever be considerd for an at-large. One thing we do need to do is enjoy the regular season next year and we all hope it will be very special. We have been disappointed 41 years in a row at the end so let’s enjoy the journey and not worry so much about the destination. I think we all can agree on that.
I agree with what you say here, to an extent.
However, is it not 42 years in a row that we've already been disappointed?
I think the NIT would not necessarily be a disappointment if we get into the NIT and win any number of games (above zero, as in 1991 and 2019). in the NIT, and also depending upon how we would FAIL BOTH to get an at-large to the NCAA and to win the SoCon Tournament. Even so, I can agree, let's enjoy the journey and not worry so much about the destination. Enjoy what is ahead.
Roundball liked this
 #54070  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:08 pm
Wonder who we will be matched up against in the first game of the Charleston Classic
 #54267  by PaladinPower
 Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:46 am
Anyone have any insight on the schedule for next year including dates? We know of the Charleston Classic and a home game with Winthrop on 12/10. Anyone else have dates?
 #54268  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:07 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:46 am
Anyone have any insight on the schedule for next year including dates? We know of the Charleston Classic and a home game with Winthrop on 12/10. Anyone else have dates?
Probably going to be a while before we know much. Not many teams have annouced their schedules so far. FU annouced the schedule last year after Labor Day, so we prolly have a good 2 months to wait.
 #54270  by PaladinPower
 Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:55 pm
Sometimes certain teams announce their games on social media or people leak thru other fan forums. I know the full schedule won’t be released officially for a while, just seeing if anyone had some inside info on any other dates.