#51988  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:29 am
affirm wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:47 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:44 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:40 pm
is Jeremy Growe ready to be a head coach?
After Bob Richey, Mike Bothwell and Jalen Slawson take us to the Big Dance next year, yes Jeremy Growe will be ready
Sure. But when CBR takes him to UofSC or to “fill in the blank whatever else univer$ity” that CBR goes to from Furman, Growe will no longer be available to us.

He would take FU head job before going with Richey as assistant, that is what he is being groomed for
 #51990  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:56 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:35 am
Right now I believe CBR is making in the 400-450k range
2020 https://projects.propublica.org/nonpro ... 10101/full
Officers, Directors, Trustees, Key Employees, and Highest Compensated Employees.
(A) Name and Title (B) Breakdown of W-2 and/or 1099-MISC compensation (C) Retirement and other deferred compensation (D) Nontaxable benefits (E) Total of columns (B)(i)-(D)
13ROBERT RICHEY
MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH (i)
(ii) 241,926
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
 #51991  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:18 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Officers, Directors, Trustees, Key Employees, and Highest Compensated Employees.
(A) Name and Title (B) Breakdown of W-2 and/or 1099-MISC compensation (C) Retirement and other deferred compensation (D) Nontaxable benefits (E) Total of columns (B)(i)-(D)
13ROBERT RICHEY
(ii) 241,926
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------

Old info, he has since gotten raises to put him in 400-450k range
Affirm liked this
 #51992  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:30 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:18 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
13ROBERT RICHEY
(ii) 241,926
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------

Old info, he has since gotten raises to put him in 400-450k range
Thanks. I would shocked if the info in that FUBeAR post is current, even FUBeAR’s info is usually dependable. On the other hand, IF 400-450 is total compensation right now (total personnel costs), then that is only 68-118 more than the info provided by FUBeAR dated 2020; and yes, Furman should find another at least $150,000 immediately.
 #51998  by Furmanoid
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:58 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:14 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:38 am
MB said in his Marc Ryan interview that the choice for him and Slawson was whether to go pro, or come back to Furman. Said there was no interest in going anywhere else.

One thought I've had is this could be a ploy by CBR to move along the Timmons renovations. JD indicated we're still $10m short of starting, but maybe the university steps up and moves faster if they know CBR would stay?

Lastly, we've all interviewed for jobs we didn't intend to take. The experience is always helpful - don't want to rule out that possibility. I have no doubt there are big jobs he would want, just would be surprised if this is one. But the chance to leverage FU and get experience under his belt interviewing for a job at the level he one day might go to? Seems like a smart move to me.
How many times have you turned down 2-300% raises? I hardly ever do that. The main reason to turn it down is because you’d be working for delusional idiots. But the act of offering CBR would be an indication that they are getting less delusional and less idiotic.
My point is that it's not all about the money. AstroDin alluded to this in his post as well. He very well may want the job, and take the probably 300-500% raise that comes with it. More power to him!

However, at FU he rules the roost. He's the face of a rising program, and has the attention of the board of trustees such that we're seeing long overdue investment in the program on the part of the university. At USC - they'll own him. The demand from boosters and the university will increase exponentially, and that's not even including expectations for on court results. The man just had his 3rd child and they moved to downtown Greenville. There are a lot of factors that go into a decision like this other than $$$. If you take the job for money, aren't happy, and unemployed in a year or two, now you're moving your family again to wherever the next opportunity is.
I've said this before, but you can do a lot worse that a pretty decent salary, fan and alumni support, good quality of life, and a relatively low pressure environment at Furman.

Many of us could take more money to work somewhere with a lower quality of life. I chose not to. I'm sure some of you chose the same.

If you want to climb the coaching ranks, cool. Furman is what it is.

At the same time, a mens basketball coach can build a pretty sizable brand at a smaller school. There are mid-major coaches that are just as much of a brand name as just about anyone coaching at the upper ranks.
The odds are that a USC stint will be pretty disastrous. But it sure pays good. And if you are a guy like CBR you probably think that you are the guy who can beat the odds and make USC a powerhouse. Also, if Bothwell and Slawson don’t return or even if they do but get hurt, we probably won’t be very good next year. This may be his only chance to move up for awhile. Then you aren’t the young, fresh exciting guy anymore. Lots of stuff to consider. If I got the offer, I’d go in a heartbeat.
Affirm liked this
 #51999  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:54 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:58 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:14 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:38 am
MB said in his Marc Ryan interview that the choice for him and Slawson was whether to go pro, or come back to Furman. Said there was no interest in going anywhere else.

One thought I've had is this could be a ploy by CBR to move along the Timmons renovations. JD indicated we're still $10m short of starting, but maybe the university steps up and moves faster if they know CBR would stay?

Lastly, we've all interviewed for jobs we didn't intend to take. The experience is always helpful - don't want to rule out that possibility. I have no doubt there are big jobs he would want, just would be surprised if this is one. But the chance to leverage FU and get experience under his belt interviewing for a job at the level he one day might go to? Seems like a smart move to me.
How many times have you turned down 2-300% raises? I hardly ever do that. The main reason to turn it down is because you’d be working for delusional idiots. But the act of offering CBR would be an indication that they are getting less delusional and less idiotic.
My point is that it's not all about the money. AstroDin alluded to this in his post as well. He very well may want the job, and take the probably 300-500% raise that comes with it. More power to him!

However, at FU he rules the roost. He's the face of a rising program, and has the attention of the board of trustees such that we're seeing long overdue investment in the program on the part of the university. At USC - they'll own him. The demand from boosters and the university will increase exponentially, and that's not even including expectations for on court results. The man just had his 3rd child and they moved to downtown Greenville. There are a lot of factors that go into a decision like this other than $$$. If you take the job for money, aren't happy, and unemployed in a year or two, now you're moving your family again to wherever the next opportunity is.
I've said this before, but you can do a lot worse that a pretty decent salary, fan and alumni support, good quality of life, and a relatively low pressure environment at Furman.

Many of us could take more money to work somewhere with a lower quality of life. I chose not to. I'm sure some of you chose the same.

If you want to climb the coaching ranks, cool. Furman is what it is.

At the same time, a mens basketball coach can build a pretty sizable brand at a smaller school. There are mid-major coaches that are just as much of a brand name as just about anyone coaching at the upper ranks.
The odds are that a USC stint will be pretty disastrous. But it sure pays good. And if you are a guy like CBR you probably think that you are the guy who can beat the odds and make USC a powerhouse. Also, if Bothwell and Slawson don’t return or even if they do but get hurt, we probably won’t be very good next year. This may be his only chance to move up for awhile. Then you aren’t the young, fresh exciting guy anymore. Lots of stuff to consider. If I got the offer, I’d go in a heartbeat.

To me probably our best case scenario is USC passes on him for someone else this year.
Richey, Bothwell, Slawson return to FU and go to NCAA's off a great season next year.
Then Richey takes a P5 job after next seasons run (ie. maybe Clemson)
 #52000  by apaladin
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:29 pm
Couple of thought#:
1. CBR grew up a SC fan. Will jump at the job if offered.
2. Those that say money isn’t everything . Yes it is. Been proven over and over. Never heard anyone say “well the money is better but I like it here so I am staying.
Affirm, Fuonetime liked this
 #52001  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:10 pm
apaladin wrote:
Couple of thought#:
2. Those that say money isn’t everything . Yes it is. Been proven over and over. Never heard anyone say “well the money is better but I like it here so I am staying.
From years of experience, I can officially say, money is NOT everything. Bob will spend time with his family, pray about where God wants him to be, and then stay at Furman or go somewhere else. God will choose Bob's path. It's that simple. I am grateful that God chose to plant him at Furman.
Fuonetime, MNORM liked this
 #52002  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Couple of thought#:
That literally happens all the time.

I'm not going to pretend to know what motivates a coach or a player. They are all different.

There are perfectly defensible reasons to stay at Furman. There would be perfectly defensible reasons to go to a bigger program.
 #52010  by Davemeister
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Never heard anyone say “well the money is better but I like it here so I am staying.
I think that's pretty much what another Furman Head Coach - Dick Sheridan - said to USC.
Fuonetime liked this
 #52013  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:09 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Never heard anyone say “well the money is better but I like it here so I am staying.
I think that's pretty much what another Furman Head Coach - Dick Sheridan - said to USC.
Smart man.
 #52014  by Sad Din
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:18 pm
SD doesnt think Tanner and CBR are a good fit.

CBR is 3x over Tanners head. What boss is gonna hire someone he doesnt understand

JD would run circles around Tanner

Dins gotta throw CBR a bone.. maybe a little more money and upgrades to Timmons
Roundball and 1 others liked this