• Post Season

#51799  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Interesting that the Furman women chose to continue their season but the men chose not to. I personally think they had a lot to still prove and am shocked they chose to hang it up and quit instead. Why not go out trying to win something. I will never understand this decision. “We are too good for these lower tourneys”-I would say PROVE IT!
 #51801  by HB88
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:09 pm
My take is that this team laid it all out on the court in Asheville. They worked their butts off for a year with one primary goal in mind. Throughout the season and conference tourney they faced adversity and came within a second of making the BIG DANCE. While as a fan I would like to see more of this team, I completely understand their decision to move on. And, for the record, I think this was a team decision. To make a deep run at one of these lesser championships would require complete buy-in on their part and if that was not there then this was the best choice for all considered. How many times have we seen surprising outcomes of bowl games that boil down to motivation?! The loss in Asheville will sting for a long time and if this team wants to heal and recharge for another run next year, I, for one, wholly support them. Go Dins!!
GOAT, Davemeister, Roundball and 3 others liked this
 #51808  by fu77fan
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:10 pm
While I respect the decision of the team, I do not necessarily understand the decision. IMHO, in general, I believe there are more potential positives to play in a postseason tournament than not. The teams who chose to play (Wofford,VMI, UNCG ) may well gain valuable playing time for their players which will help them next year.

Playing in a postseason tournament is not necessarily about the immediate benefits, but the benefits down the road, next year and beyond!
 #51814  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:26 pm
HB88 wrote:
My take is that this team laid it all out on the court in Asheville. They worked their butts off for a year with one primary goal in mind. Throughout the season and conference tourney they faced adversity and came within a second of making the BIG DANCE. While as a fan I would like to see more of this team, I completely understand their decision to move on. And, for the record, I think this was a team decision. To make a deep run at one of these lesser championships would require complete buy-in on their part and if that was not there then this was the best choice for all considered. How many times have we seen surprising outcomes of bowl games that boil down to motivation?! The loss in Asheville will sting for a long time and if this team wants to heal and recharge for another run next year, I, for one, wholly support them. Go Dins!!

Agreed! If we were not “all in” we were not going to make a deep run in any tournament so we might as well quit and hang it up. Do I think we would have won either tourney, NO, so no big deal. Just surprised that the team chose to not keep fighting. This would have been great experience for the November Charleston tourney.

Glad the Furman women chose not to quit and to keep fighting.
 #51821  by fu77fan
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:42 pm
I think the decision not to play in a tournament is a short sighted decision.
Playing in a tournament should be based on the long term goals of the program. Getting the experience of playing would surely benefit the “team “ in the future.
purplehorse, tim liked this
 #51858  by GOAT
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:10 pm
purplehorse wrote:
HB88 wrote:

Agreed! If we were not “all in” we were not going to make a deep run in any tournament so we might as well quit and hang it up. Do I think we would have won either tourney, NO, so no big deal. Just surprised that the team chose to not keep fighting. This would have been great experience for the November Charleston tourney.

I do not know much but I do know one thing. This team had no quit in them. For those of you who do not know, there is a adult basketball tournament on Saturday morning starting at 10 am at the Greenville YMCA. Many current and former college basketball players will be playing. Furman has entered a team ( not under Furman name, NCAA violation). The team will be getting about the same experience and recognition they would be getting from the lower level tournaments some of you wanted them to play in.
Affirm liked this
 #51859  by tim
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:16 pm
GOAT wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:10 pm
purplehorse wrote:
HB88 wrote:

I do not know much but I do know one thing. This team had no quit in them. For those of you who do not know, there is a adult basketball tournament on Saturday morning starting at 10 am at the Greenville YMCA. Many current and former college basketball players will be playing. Furman has entered a team ( not under Furman name, NCAA violation). The team will be getting about the same experience and recognition they would be getting from the lower level tournaments some of you wanted them to play in.
Is it open to the public? Bleacher seats etc.
 #51860  by tim
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:18 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Playing in a tournament should be based on the long term goals of the program. Getting the experience of playing would surely benefit the “team “ in the future.
I think those two CITs we played in benefited the program.
 #51863  by RaleighDin
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:50 pm
tim wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:18 pm
fu77fan wrote:
I think those two CITs we played in benefited the program.
To me it says that upperclassmen are weighing coming back and wanting to give them a rest. Gotta look for the upside!
 #51869  by youwouldno
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:16 pm
The CIT is pointless in this situation. Very sensible decision to decline it. It was different when the program was at an earlier stage of improvement.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #51870  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:17 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The CIT is pointless in this situation. Very sensible decision to decline it. It was different when the program was at an earlier stage of improvement.
True, no reason for us to drop down to Wofftards level, we beyond them :!:
 #51877  by youwouldno
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:53 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:17 pm
youwouldno wrote:
True, no reason for us to drop down to Wofftards level, we beyond them :!:

Correct, there is no reason to enter a tournament populated by teams like Wofford. Furman already gets to play teams like that all season long.
Affirm, Davemeister liked this
 #51901  by Roundball
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:27 am
The CIT tourney was supposed to be 32 teams. Only 21 wanted to be in the field. Worthless tournament.
 #51902  by tim
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:17 am
Of course the uncomfortable issue is that fans were led to believe there would be post season, since anyone should have known the NIT bid was questionable at best you would assume they intended to drop down to CBI. The other tournament IS foolish.
 #51914  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:47 pm
The article made it pretty clear it was up to the players and they didn’t want to play unless it was the NCAA or NIT. I respect that decision since the boys left it all out on the floor in Asheville. I’m sure there is also a cost incurred for these tournaments as well so that has to be weighed against the benefit of the CIT/CBI.

The main goal is to return the 5th yr guys and be prepared to compete in the Basketball Classic this Fall. I trust the coaches, players, and AD to make the call on how best to do that. Selfishly I always want to see post-season play, but they don’t make decisions based on what I want.
GOAT, Davemeister liked this