• Taking a Transfer

#52273  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:54 am
I actually think we need another Garrison type the most, a guard that can shoot 3's very well and handle the basketball as well.
Right now we only have 3 guards for next year, probable starters Pegues and Bothwell, plus first guard off bench Anderson, we need another one for depth.

We need to develop the bench size we already have on the roster, we already know Hughey is solid and can play quality minutes, 6'10 Lawrence can stretch the floor, 6'10 Repass needs to be developed down low.
apaladin liked this
 #52276  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:57 am
To me looks like we might need a guard the most

Possible starters:
1) JP Pegues
2) Mike Bothwell
3) Marcus Foster
4) Jalen Slawson
5) Garrett Hien

Bench:
Joe Anderson (possible first guard off bench)
Tyrese Hughey (possible first big off the bench)
Alex Williams
Jonny Lawrence
James Repass
Ben VanderWal (incoming freshman)
Davis Molnar (incoming freshman)
Rett Lister
 #52290  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:54 pm
Gabe Wiznitzer 6'11 from Wahalla is transferring from Louisville. 4* ... if Dins dont get him CU probably will

Pls not Dave

Last edited by Sad Din on Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #52292  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:58 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:54 pm
Gabe Wiznitzer 6'11 from Wahalla is transferring from Louisville. 4* ... if Dins dont get him CU probably will
If he could not play for the Louisville team we beat no way can he play for us
 #52331  by Paladin91
 Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:39 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
I actually think we need another Garrison type the most, a guard that can shoot 3's very well and handle the basketball as well.
Right now we only have 3 guards for next year, probable starters Pegues and Bothwell, plus first guard off bench Anderson, we need another one for depth.

We need to develop the bench size we already have on the roster, we already know Hughey is solid and can play quality minutes, 6'10 Lawrence can stretch the floor, 6'10 Repass needs to be developed down low.
As much as I'd like another Garrison type, I think with Pegues, Bothwell, Anderson, and Foster (swing G/F), you can get by just fine at that position, especially with Anderson having stepped up this year. Problem is behind Slawson, Hien, Foster, you have Johnny L, who hasn't played in over a year and wasn't really an inside threat. Will Repass improve enough in one year to provide any valuable minutes? I suspect he's at least a year away. Having a bonafide banger around 6'10 will be essential if we make it to the tourney next year, or one and done. You'll get eaten up on the inside or with drives to the bucket by quicker teams. Plus if Slawson or Hien get into foul trouble, then what? I think CBR mentioned when he recruited Vanderwal that he would play a variety of positions - at 6'6/6'7, I think he could play the SG position and handle the ball some. I suspect we will not redshirt him based on his level of play and scoring ability.
 #52332  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:05 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:39 am
DungeonRealm wrote:

As much as I'd like another Garrison type, I think with Pegues, Bothwell, Anderson, and Foster (swing G/F), you can get by just fine at that position, especially with Anderson having stepped up this year. Problem is behind Slawson, Hien, Foster, you have Johnny L, who hasn't played in over a year and wasn't really an inside threat. Will Repass improve enough in one year to provide any valuable minutes? I suspect he's at least a year away. Having a bonafide banger around 6'10 will be essential if we make it to the tourney next year, or one and done. You'll get eaten up on the inside or with drives to the bucket by quicker teams. Plus if Slawson or Hien get into foul trouble, then what? I think CBR mentioned when he recruited Vanderwal that he would play a variety of positions - at 6'6/6'7, I think he could play the SG position and handle the ball some. I suspect we will not redshirt him based on his level of play and scoring ability.
Tyrese Hughey will play a key role next year

Maybe take best available, if that is a guard or big, fine either way, just need another quality veteran for our depth
apaladin liked this
 #52368  by Davemeister
 Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:36 pm
palafan wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:46 am
I just wish we had Garrison for more than one season.
Take a page from UT-C.
 #52385  by purplehorse
 Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:11 pm
My observations from watching many of the NCAA tourney games:

The best guards are very quick and often drive to the basket and can get layups high off the backboard. That helps when the 3’s aren’t falling.

The really big centers who can get rebounds and easy shots are worth their weight in gold. Would love to have an “Ingle Martin” center come to Furman.

Amazing that Chat had 8 (Eight) transfers this past year including 4 of their top 5 players.

If we are going to get in the NCAA and have a real chance to win a game, we need a little more talent.
underjack, bj93 liked this