• Surprised uhhhh. NO.

#50120  by jesse174
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:31 am
agree with the last few posts...we all care a lot about this team, otherwise we wouldn't be posting all this stuff...now this team must figure out how to change things...there is time this week to try to fix this and get back to playing the way they are capable....
underjack liked this
 #50121  by FurmanATT
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:25 am
I guess I'm a little appalled at all the manic-depression here.
We were all lulled into a false sense of security by 5 sraight wins by a total of 127 points, and, maybe, a little, so were they. My own modest memories teach me that sometimes an athlete tells himself he needs to be ready, and sometimes himself doesn't believe it.
I still think it's a splendid team and that Richey and staff will address what has arisen. This is a better time for a lull than the tournament. My confidence in team and coach remains.
I don't think the SoCon is bad. I think it's really good, and if there was an aberration, it was the 5 straight wins. The other teams try, too.
No need to get all panicky and pissed. A lot can still happen. A lot will happen. -- MD
GOAT, underjack, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #50123  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:57 am
FurmanATT wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:25 am
I guess I'm a little appalled at all the manic-depression here.
We were all lulled into a false sense of security by 5 sraight wins by a total of 127 points, and, maybe, a little, so were they. My own modest memories teach me that sometimes an athlete tells himself he needs to be ready, and sometimes himself doesn't believe it.
I still think it's a splendid team and that Richey and staff will address what has arisen. This is a better time for a lull than the tournament. My confidence in team and coach remains.
I don't think the SoCon is bad. I think it's really good, and if there was an aberration, it was the 5 straight wins. The other teams try, too.
No need to get all panicky and pissed. A lot can still happen. A lot will happen. -- MD

You must be new here.
Affirm liked this
 #50124  by Affirm
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:32 am
DR and apaladin should start their own board, one for those that claim to be Furman fans. They must live a miserable life on a daily basis. I almost feel sorry for them.
Unnecessary.
apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #50126  by purplehorse
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:23 pm
People are wired differently and express themselves different ways. Anybody who gets on this board multiple times a week is obviously a Furman fan. And it does get old losing big games etc. Not getting in the NCAA for 40 plus years-I mean certainly we could have done that with a break here or there.

I think we have the best coach in the state. Furman is a great school for a liberal arts education. Surprised we cannot up our talent a little with CBR as a coach. I think if he had the same level of talent as the best teams do, he would be winning all the time.

Maybe some day we will make it to the NCAA tourney.
 #50127  by Furmanoid
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:34 pm
Jasper wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:46 pm
WOW. Last week Furman was far and away the best team in the SoCon and Bob Richey was the second coming of John Wooden. Now they are being vilified chokers , etc by a fair weather fan base Disappointed is one thing but the crap being said on here is infantile. Now hear this. Furman plays a motion offense predicated around the 3 point shot. They do that because it is the only way they can win. We are not big enough to play a more conventional offense and we do not have the talent level necessary. When you live by the 3, there will be games like the last two where we shoot under 20 % in the first half while the opponent shoots 70% as ETSU did tonight. Shit happens! Last week when we shot around 40 % from 3 we were beating teams by 30 points. We are not as good as we looked then and we are not as bad as it seems now. Having a bunch of fans hating on the team like doesn’t help things at all. As a matter of fact it sucks. If these same “cursed” kids come out on Saturday with a defensive fire coming out of their butts and shoot anywhere near 40% from the 3 mark, they will blow the jocks off Chattanooga. They certainly don’t deserve to have their courage and dedication disrespected in this manner. Get over your tantrums and try picking them up.
I sort of agree, but we choose to have a small team and play that offense. If the offense is the problem, then maybe we should change it. Otherwise are we just playing for 2nd or 3rd every year? Have we decided that’s our ceiling?
 #50133  by Davemeister
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:17 pm
purplehorse wrote:

The Drama begins on the bus ride to Asheville . . .
 #50136  by FurmAlum
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:46 pm
I was as bummed as anybody about the last 2 losses, but it isn't over yet. Chatty is fully capable of losing a couple of unexpected games too. Hopefully to Furman on Saturday.

And I don't think the SoCon is bad either. See below:

Furman - beat an ACC team on the road
Chattanooga - has beaten multiple good mid majors, some on the road
UNCG - same
ETSU - beat an SEC team on the road and beat Murray State, the best team in the OVC
Samford - beat an SEC and PAC 12 team on the road
Citadel - beat an ACC team on the road
Western - has some decent OOC wins
VMI - same
Mercer -same

If all of these teams had a couple Power 5 games at home it would look even better. The SoCon is a very competitive league, and a 9-4 record so far is pretty darn good.
 #50137  by furpop16
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:20 pm
FWIW, Sagarin & Massey both agree SoCon sits well ahead of the Ivy League & just behind Conf USA.

Here's a breakdown:
Positions 1-6 filled by P5 & Big East
Positions 7-10 filled by American, Mtn West, West Coast, and A-10
Positions 11-13 filled by MVC, Conf USA, & SoCon
Positions 14 -(orders vary between Massey & Sagarin): Ivy, Colonial, Sun Belt, WAC, Big W, MAC, etc.

We can argue whether those in positions 7-10 are mid-majors or power conferences, but by the numbers SoCon looks impressive. Perhaps someone not as cheap as me, who's registered with KenPom, might confirm whether his conference rankings agree with those of Massey & Sagarin.
 #50139  by Affirm
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:49 pm
purplehorse wrote:
People are wired differently and express themselves different ways. Anybody who gets on this board multiple times a week is obviously a Furman fan. And it does get old losing big games etc. Not getting in the NCAA for 40 plus years-I mean certainly we could have done that with a break here or there.

I think we have the best coach in the state. Furman is a great school for a liberal arts education. Surprised we cannot up our talent a little with CBR as a coach. I think if he had the same level of talent as the best teams do, he would be winning all the time.

Been disappointed too many times. Still a Furman supporter (dislike the term "fan"), but have learned to expect disappointment. Not sure how one can remain a Furman supporter otherwise.
FU69 liked this
 #50386  by furpop16
 Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:24 am
furpop16 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:20 pm
FWIW, Sagarin & Massey both agree SoCon sits well ahead of the Ivy League & just behind Conf USA.

Here's a breakdown:
Positions 1-6 filled by P5 & Big East
Positions 7-10 filled by American, Mtn West, West Coast, and A-10
Positions 11-13 filled by MVC, Conf USA, & SoCon
Positions 14 -(orders vary between Massey & Sagarin): Ivy, Colonial, Sun Belt, WAC, Big W, MAC, etc.

We can argue whether those in positions 7-10 are mid-majors or power conferences, but by the numbers SoCon looks impressive. Perhaps someone not as cheap as me, who's registered with KenPom, might confirm whether his conference rankings agree with those of Massey & Sagarin.

According to Sagarin the SoCon has moved ahead of Conf. USA and is now ranked #12 - behind A-10 (#10) and the MVC (#11). I expect that reflects a tighter conference resulting from the Citadel's surprise over VMI as well as our own current skid.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar TV

by Afurmanfan

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:36 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:28 pm

Default Avatar Other teams on schedule - upcoming scouting

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:05 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.