• BAD TREND

#36904  by Furmanoid
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am
I didn’t realize that “OK” was considered such a terrible insult. But I think I’ve got it now. Our coaching is always at the premier level. Not better than average: outstanding. And our players excel in all parts of the game with one of the best offenses anywhere. So when we lose to people like VMI it’s because our damn players didn’t come to play and weren’t putting out effort. That’s not insulting at all. Or when we lose to Wofford it’s because our guys’ fragile psyche’s can’t handle the rivalry and have succumbed to defeatism. Nothing negative about that theory. Questioning their character is just fine. Just don’t question their skills or even hint that the coach isn’t the next Coach K.
 #36921  by PaladinPower
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:39 am
It’s college basketball. The socon is a good league. *maybe* VMI just has a good team? Seeing as they also beat uncg, WC, and UTC. This is an above average offense and above average coach and staff. Be a fan, have high expectations, but don’t berate players’ skill sets and CBR and try to imply that you know ANYTHING about coaching a D1 men’s basketball team by suggesting what the team needs to work on. Be a fan. Again, it’s not hard.
 #36923  by Furmanoid
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:43 am
Berate? What are you talking about?
 #36924  by PaladinPower
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:46 am
I’m talking about you continually suggesting our players have no skills, our coach is average, our bench has no potential, players are mentally weak, etc.
 #36934  by Furmanoid
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:33 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:46 am
I’m talking about you continually suggesting our players have no skills, our coach is average, our bench has no potential, players are mentally weak, etc.
Not anywhere close to true. In the offending post after a disappointing loss I said our players were “pretty good”. Pretty good ncaa DI players in the top tier of a pretty decent conference HAVE SKILLS! I assumed that was understood. I just disagree with the widely held view that we are elite. So if the 3’s aren’t falling and we lose, I don’t blame it on lack of effort from elite players. I blame it on pretty good players missing shots.

In that ONE post I referred to our coach as OK. I’ve not once said average. To me OK is more like pretty good. In my grading system you aren’t an elite up and comer until you make at least one trip to the NCAA tournament. Sorry. I apologize, but I seriously doubt BR considers himself anything close to elite. Yet.

I don’t recall saying anything much about our bench that hasn’t been glaringly obvious. We have maybe 2 guys who really look ready to make much of a contribution other than spelling people. I have REPEATEDLY praised one of them who appears to me to be WAY better than anyone expected. I will never say we have no potential because you just never know. But I do wish the potential were a little more obvious. I plead guilty to that.

I am one of the few who ISN’T blaming every loss on mental weakness. I think we run the system we run correctly and with great effort but if we aren’t shooting well from outside we really struggle. If your shots aren’t falling it isn’t because you aren’t trying or your head isn’t in the game. It isn’t because you have ptsd over the Alabama game. It just ain’t dropping. In our system, if they aren’t dropping you’ve got big trouble.

And I just have to disagree with your opinion that even elite skills and coaching combined with good effort can fall short against a program like VMI.
 #36945  by Flagman
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:15 pm
I think this thread should be re-named, "Bad Thread".
FUBeAR liked this
 #36955  by FurmAlum
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:01 pm
Speaking of our bench, there has been some improvement lately. Pugh is getting some PT and starting to look better. Same with Kinney and Anderson. Lawrence has been hitting some shots and is certainly not shy about taking them either. Foster hasn't been bad when he can get in there.
 #36956  by Affirm
 Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:09 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:15 pm
I think this thread should be re-named, "Bad Thread".
“Bad Trend Leads to Bad Thread” would be fine.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.