• Scheduling

#26780  by NCPaladin22
 Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:59 pm
Dinhead, who would you like to see us play at home next year?
 #26782  by dinhead
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:45 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:07 am
One question to ask here is what is Richmond's BUDGET for bball compared to Furman.

I have no idea but I am guessing we lag behind.
We clearly lag way behind in revenue generation. Unlike the SoCon The A-10 has a lucrative TV contract. The SoCon has nothing but an occasional ESPNU game.
Average Richmond home game attendance against Vandy and Boston College was over 5,500 (11,000 total)
Compare that with Furman's average home attendance against the three non D-1 games 1,500. (3,000 total for 2 games)
8,000 more tickets sold at even just $20 a pop is $160,000 more revenue for Richmond. You can buy a home and home series with a major for less than that and Furman still has to dish out about $20,000 to pay off the two cupcakes.
Richmond gets TV revenue in these games Furman gets paltry ESPN+ peanuts and less than 1/3 of the concessions sales Richmond gets (based on avg. attendance).
Richmond also gets a fired up fan base which leads to a huge fundraising advantage.
Affirm liked this
 #26783  by dinhead
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 am
Paul C wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 am
dinhead wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 pm
It was a whole different landscape back in the 70’s. There were less than 50 percent in the number of D1 teams now. In the 70’s there was 4 D1 teams in SC. I think there are 10+ now. The NCAA tourney was not the mega million media event it is today. There was no national TV until the finals. You had to win your conference tourney to get in so regular season games didn’t matter that much.
With nearly triple the number of D-1 teams (353) than the 70's one might reach the logical conclusion that its much easier now to play an all D-1 schedule. 340 potential D-1 opponents and we're playing Columbia International ?
Furman basketball has become obsessed with breaking records for total wins and has developed an insatiable desire for cupcakes.
With all due respect, you are probably not aware of the process, costs, and challenges, with scheduling.
Actually I am. I read an in depth article on the subject which analyzed why Winthrop and like teams play these non D-1 games and why they schedule majors. They interviewed coaches, AD's and conference commissioners and gave actual numbers of what teams play to buy games. Your estimates are way off by the way. Davidson paid Winthop $75,000 to buy a home game. Florida St. paid Winthrop $100,000 to come to Tallahassee. Average price paid by Winthrop against the likes of Toccoa Falls was between $8-$10,000.
I'll see if I can find a link to the article to further educate you on the subject.
Affirm liked this
 #26784  by dinhead
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:18 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:57 am
dinhead wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It was a whole different landscape back in the 70’s. There were less than 50 percent in the number of D1 teams now. In the 70’s there was 4 D1 teams in SC. I think there are 10+ now. The NCAA tourney was not the mega million media event it is today. There was no national TV until the finals. You had to win your conference tourney to get in so regular season games didn’t matter that much.
With nearly triple the number of D-1 teams (353) than the 70's one might reach the logical conclusion that its much easier now to play an all D-1 schedule. 340 potential D-1 opponents and we're playing Columbia International ?
Furman basketball has become obsessed with breaking records for total wins and has developed an insatiable desire for cupcakes.
Nonsense. We don't want to play these teams. Other Div. 1 will not play us.
You've gotta be kidding. You really think that 340 D-1 teams are ducking a school that hasn't been to the NCAA tournament in forty years and hasn't advanced past the semi finals of a one bid SoCon tournament in the past five years with a 3-6 post season record ?
Granted Villanova's not giving us a rematch any time soon and I think we've seen the last of Loyola and we'll probably have to throw out a little extra cash to get a mid-major into Timmons but there are plenty of major colleges that will pay us big bucks to go to there place.
Affirm liked this
 #26788  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:07 am
To Dinhead’s 118 am:
Hit dislike
Meant to hit like
Will amend when allowed
 #26789  by Affirm
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 am
dinhead wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:45 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:07 am
One question to ask here is what is Richmond's BUDGET for bball compared to Furman.

I have no idea but I am guessing we lag behind.
We clearly lag way behind in revenue generation. Unlike the SoCon The A-10 has a lucrative TV contract. The SoCon has nothing but an occasional ESPNU game.
Average Richmond home game attendance against Vandy and Boston College was over 5,500 (11,000 total)
Compare that with Furman's average home attendance against the three non D-1 games 1,500. (3,000 total for 2 games)
8,000 more tickets sold at even just $20 a pop is $160,000 more revenue for Richmond. You can buy a home and home series with a major for less than that and Furman still has to dish out about $20,000 to pay off the two cupcakes.
Richmond gets TV revenue in these games Furman gets paltry ESPN+ peanuts and less than 1/3 of the concessions sales Richmond gets (based on avg. attendance).
Richmond also gets a fired up fan base which leads to a huge fundraising advantage.
Being in A-10 = a big advantage for Richmond and also for Davidson. Richmond has VCU in their same city. Richmond, and Davidson both are richer schools overall. (Endowments. Especially Richmond, whose endowment is about 3.5x ours. Davidson is “only” about 1.25x ours.)
Richmond and Davidson both are better academically. (US News & other college rankings,)
We should be equal to both those schools, and we probably were at some time not more than 50 years ago.
We should not pretend that we are now.
Will we ever be equal to them again? Let’s try.
FUKA61 liked this
 #26790  by Roundball
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 am
dinhead wrote:
Roundball wrote:
dinhead wrote:
apaladin wrote:
You've gotta be kidding. You really think that 340 D-1 teams are ducking a school that hasn't been to the NCAA tournament in forty years and hasn't advanced past the semi finals of a one bid SoCon tournament in the past five years with a 3-6 post season record ?
Granted Villanova's not giving us a rematch any time soon and I think we've seen the last of Loyola and we'll probably have to throw out a little extra cash to get a mid-major into Timmons but there are plenty of major colleges that will pay us big bucks to go to there place.
The simple answer to your question is, yes. Why don't you call or e-mail Coach Richey or Jason Donnelly and ask them about scheduling. Recruiting at Furman is difficult, but scheduling is probably much more frustrating. Paul C said it all with his post. "With all due respect, you are probably not aware of the process, costs, and challenges, with scheduling."
 #26792  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:15 am
dinhead wrote:
Roundball wrote:
dinhead wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Your last sentence could not be more wrong, no there is not, the 'Big Boys' of college basketball are paying shitty to half ass mid-majors to play them in most cases, FU is a top 10 mid-major and its fact that it is tough for FU to get any big boys to schedule them.
 #26800  by FurmAlum
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 pm
O.K. dinhead, if Richmond is so #$%*&#@ good, why are we better in basketball, and football, and track, and cross country, and in women's golf, and in men's golf, and in women's tennis, and in men's tennis, and in men's soccer, and in women's soccer, and maybe a few more?
 #26801  by PaladinPower
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm
Back to scheduling...

Jon Rothstein has confirmed Furman will play at University if Louisville in the non conference.

I think this will be a great time to play a Louisville team losing 5 seniors and probably Nwora to the draft.
Roundball, furpop16 and 1 others liked this
 #26802  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:41 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:15 pm
Back to scheduling...

Jon Rothstein has confirmed Furman will play at University if Louisville in the non conference.

I think this will be a great time to play a Louisville team losing 5 seniors and probably Nwora to the draft.
dornb liked this
 #26805  by cavedweller2
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:52 pm
Excellent. We will play anybody anywhere. Schedule us.
 #26806  by Monday
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:17 pm
You are knowledgeable because you read an in depth article? Jesus, that’s like my kid telling me he can do my taxes because he just learned division. This guy’s a troll.
 #26808  by soconjohn
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:41 pm
At the top of this league, every coach I talk to Forbes or Richey or Miller all hate scheduling...No one wants to play them...It’s nearly impossible to get these games now...It’s an unfair game when that very thing is held against mid major teams for getting an at large bid...There simply aren’t enough opportunities for Quad 1 or 2 wins in conference...And that’s what’s so unfair about the whole thing.
 #26809  by PaladinPower
 Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:11 pm
After thinking about it... very thankful for coach Jeremy Growe and what he brings to the program. He had a close relationship with Chris Mack at Xavier which probably led to this game being schedule. Kudos to him!!

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:53 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.