• 2019 Recruiting

#2399  by tya1
 Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:35 pm
Some developments after the second week of the July evaluation period -

Darin Green, Jr, 6'5" guard from Florida has committed to Central Florida. He chose them over almost twenty offers. Not a surprise, although he might have grabbed some P6 offers if he waited longer.

Tom Welch, 6'7" forward from Illinois, has been picking up more offers. He has about 17 now including one from Ole Miss. But he could be about to get some more P6 offers as Clemson, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa State have been following him closely. He told a recruiting service guy his tentative list of four official visits to take, and Furman wasn't on the list.

Hunter Cattoor, 6'3" guard from Florida, has become a very popular recruit. He has sixteen offers - thirteen of them in the last 10 days. They include Wofford, Samford, Florida Gulf Coast, Central Florida, College of Charleston, Bucknell, and Northern Kentucky among them.

Cole Henry, 6'9" forward from Iowa, has received 6 new D1 offers in the past week. Among them are Central Michigan, Indiana State, and South Dakota. In a story in the Des Moines newspaper he mentioned that he is having trouble keeping his phone charged from all the calls he is taking. He also said he definitely plans to make an official visit to Furman but hasn't decided on the others.
 #2411  by Jasper
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 pm
Fessor wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 am
Northern Kentucky?
You wont believe this but it has 12.5k undergrads and won the Horizon League BB championship in 2017 - which, of course, put them in the Big Dance. Because they are in NORTHERN Kentucky, their teams are called the Norse ( priiitttty clever ) and they compete in most everything but football. Early line has them favored by five.
 #2418  by tya1
 Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:36 pm
Jasper wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:46 pm
Fessor wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:55 am
Northern Kentucky?
You wont believe this but it has 12.5k undergrads and won the Horizon League BB championship in 2017 - which, of course, put them in the Big Dance. Because they are in NORTHERN Kentucky, their teams are called the Norse ( priiitttty clever ) and they compete in most everything but football. Early line has them favored by five.
Also - They were regular season Horizon league champs last year but were upset in the conference tournament. They went to the NIT and lost to Louisville by 6. In 2017 they were 3rd in the regular season but won the conference tournament. They went to the NCAAs in the first year they were eligible. Pretty rare accomplishment.

They finished #90 in the Pomeroy ratings this year. Furman was #95.
 #2490  by tya1
 Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:18 am
A few developments after the third, and final, evaluation period of July -

Hunter Cattoor continues to rack up the offers. He has 20 offers now. Most recently- Rice, Ark.-Little Rock, and Davidson
Cole Henry has new offers from Montana State and Northern Iowa, which is his 10th.
David Skogman has 10 offers. Sam Houston State and Rice are the latest.
Max Fiedler adds offers from Lipscomb and Texas State. He now has 7 D1 offers.
 #2538  by Paul C
 Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:42 pm
Evan Bainbridge off the board, committed to Kent St.
 #2687  by tya1
 Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 pm
Tom Welch has committed to Loyola (IL)

Not a surprise, they were high on his list from the beginning and with Northwestern, Wisconsin, Clemson, etc. not springing for offers after the July evaluation period he must have realized that he was on their backup plan lists.
 #2769  by tya1
 Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:57 pm
Cole Henry has committed to Northern Iowa. That has got to sting a little. We were his announced favorite the last story I saw and were his first and only scheduled official visit before the offer came in for UNI. But from the comments on his twitter page after he got the UNI offer it was inevitable he would commit there.

A tidbit about Tom Welch who committed to Loyola a few days ago. It turns out the Loyola head coach is from Welch's hometown of Napierville, IL As if they didn't have enough advantages in his recruitment.
 #2796  by Paul C
 Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 pm
New offer. Pennridge (PA) G Sean Yoder, 6-2, 175

Also has offers from Vermont, Canisius, High Point, Colgate, Campbell
 #2797  by tya1
 Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 pm
Sean Yoder - 6'2" guard from Perkasie, PA and Pennridge HS. Perkasie is in Bucks County, about 35 miles north of Philadelphia.

Other offers from his twitter page - Vermont, New Hampshire, Colgate, Canisius, High Point, Wagner, Marist, and Campbell - most in the past month.

Good shooter who can get to the basket in a hurry. Didn't shoot a huge number of threes, but has a smooth shot. Averaged just over 15 ppg.

Describes his game - " I believe I’m a pass first point guard, but I can knock down shots, rebound or play defense as well. I will do whatever it takes to win."

LINK

LINK
 #2807  by tya1
 Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 am
Pierce Hellums has decided on official visits to Furman and Sam Houston State in September. SHS visit will be Sept. 20-22. Furman visit date not determined yet.

Here is a follow-up -
LINK

"Hellums is sitting on a total of eight offers but is going with two schools who have stuck with him throughout the recruiting process.

“I have a really good relationship with the coaches from both [Sam Houston] and [Furman], and they both want me at their school. They were there at the beginning of my recruitment especially Sam Houston, they were my first offer.”

Hellums says that he knows what he is looking for in a program.

“I really want to go where the college wants me and I want to have a good relationship with the coaches. I also want to go somewhere with the perfect style of play for me and that is up tempo fast basketball. I want a program that runs in transition and shoots a lot of threes.”
 #3325  by Monday
 Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:54 pm
I heard that Hunter Cattoor and Max Fiedler were on campus this past week. Can anyone confirm this and whether or not it was official?

Cattoor will soon have an official visit to Wofford
 #3328  by tya1
 Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:53 pm
Hunter Cattoor committed to Wofford . He picked the Terriers over Furman and Belmont. It appears a recently developed friendship with recent Wofford commit Zac Ervin played a part and Cattoor was also influenced by the Terrier's star Fletcher Magee, who played for the same AAU program as Cattoor.

Excellent pickup for the Terriers. I think he could be a four year starter for them.
 #3338  by Monday
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:32 am
Wow. That's a tough one.

So out of all our offers only Hellums has an announced official visit to us that he might actually take.

Skogman has announced visits for Rice and Valparaiso. It doesn't sound like he's looking at the southeast.
 #3380  by tya1
 Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:46 pm
Monday wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:32 am
Wow. That's a tough one.

So out of all our offers only Hellums has an announced official visit to us that he might actually take.

Skogman has announced visits for Rice and Valparaiso. It doesn't sound like he's looking at the southeast.
Skogman took an official visit to Rice last week and an unofficial visit to Valparaiso this past weekend. I don't know what other unofficial visits he may have taken this summer.