• 2021 Recruiting

#26442  by Stosh
 Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:16 pm
"Not sure we've had a player with this size since the Fessor Leonard era"

Marijan Pojatina, early 2000's - not much of an offensive force, but a presence under the basket. He may hold the school record for blocked shots, if I recall correctly. And after a decent pro career in Europe, he became a major executive in a Croatian cosmetics firm (again, if my memory is correct).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ina-1.html
 #26443  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:23 pm
Stosh wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:16 pm
"Not sure we've had a player with this size since the Fessor Leonard era"

Marijan Pojatina, early 2000's - not much of an offensive force, but a presence under the basket. He may hold the school record for blocked shots, if I recall correctly. And after a decent pro career in Europe, he became a major executive in a Croatian cosmetics firm (again, if my memory is correct).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ina-1.html

Pojatina was very skinny at Furman, tried eating at waffle house to put on some weight and still would not work
 #27167  by tya1
 Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 am
Angelo Brizzi picked up an offer from Villanova. Could make his recruitment a bit tougher for us. We actually seemed in decent shape. He appeared to be showing most interest in Furman and Yale.
 #27188  by tya1
 Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:48 am
Not sure which thread to put this in, but...

Furman is apparently in contact with 6'7" 225 lb. Trevor Lakes, who is transferring from D2 U. of Indianapolis. Lakes would have one year of eligibility and might have to sit a year first.

He is a 41% three point shooter for his career and averaged 15.7 ppg and 6.2 rebs. this past season. Lakes has already heard from at least 14 schools since entering the transfer portal. Some of the others include Illinois, Xavier, Wichita State, Chattanooga, and Drake.

The NCAA may OK one-time immediate eligibility later this spring. I wonder if that will be a factor in which schools actually offer. Some schools might be less willing to take a transfer for two years to play one.

I have no idea how strong Furman's interest is, but if he came here he could be the "player named later" in the Jordan Loyd trade. Much later.

LINK
 #27216  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:06 am
Samford transfer/forward Robert Allen has committed to Ole Miss.
 #27284  by tya1
 Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:45 pm
Blane St. Clair is a 6'4" guard at Davidson Day School in North Carolina who says Furman is one of a group of colleges showing interest. He already has offers from DePaul and Holy Cross. He names Elon, Wofford, Colgate, Lafayette, Army, and Navy as some others interested.

From his Twitter page I notice that he made an unofficial visit on campus for the February game with Chattanooga.

Looks pretty solid in his highlight video. Good shooter, good athlete, good ballhandler - can drive for slams or pop the three. Plays some defense too. Reminds me of Andrew Brown.
 #27321  by tya1
 Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 pm
New offer just reported -

Garrett Johnson 6'7" 190 from Episcopal HS, Vienna, VA. Johnson is listed as a guard. He already has 11 other offers showing on Verbal Commits, the others are all mid-Atlantic area mid-majors. A couple of Ivy League schools - Penn, and Brown; a couple of A10 schools - George Mason, and George Washington; a couple of CAA members - William & Mary, and James Madison among his offers. Looks smooth and athletic in his highlights. A good small forward or wing candidate for our system.
 #27586  by tya1
 Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm
Walker is rapidly accumulating offers. He also picked up one from Penn a couple of days ago. The Loyola offer came one day earlier. He is up to nine offers now, more probably on the way. Walker was named Ohio Division 2 player of the year. He is regarded as a smart player who is very strong on both offense and defense.

Walker averaged 25.6 ppg, 8.5 rpg, and 3.2 assists. He hit 54.7% of his FGs, 39.4% of his threes, and 86% of his FTs. Smooth and athletic with a quick release on his jump shot in his highlight video. Nice moves off the dribble.

His father, Tyrice Walker, Jr., was chosen Ohio's Mr. Basketball by the high school coaches in 1990 and played at Xavier and for 10 years in Europe. He was a 6'6" forward.
 #27659  by tya1
 Thu May 07, 2020 6:19 am
Andrew Williams, 6'5" wing from Chattanooga, TN is the latest player with a reported offer from the Paladins according to Verbal Commits.

He is a smooth shooter with a very quick release and looks like a very good athlete. Has ten offers already listed including South Carolina, ETSU, UT-Chattanooga, Kent State, and Lasalle.
 #28619  by tya1
 Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 am
Rivals.com - LINK - has updated its top 150 list for 2021 prospects.

Two Paladin prospects were listed. Josh Beadle was rated #110, and Angelo Brizzi was #118. Those are the highest ratings of any players Furman has pursued in quite a while. I hope we are still in the running for those guys but it seemed noteworthy that we are making some offers to top guys, even if there is heavy competition.

Also noted that there are two local Greenville County players in the top 100. Bryce McGowens is a 6'6" shooting guard from Piedmont rated #38 and 7'0" John Butler (at Christ Church HS) is rated #64. McGowens is the younger brother of Trey McGowens, who Furman tried to recruit early on (signed with Pittsburgh - now transferring to Nebraska) and has committed to Florida State.
 #28919  by tya1
 Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 pm
No offer yet, but Furman is showing interest in Tyrese Hughey, 6'7" forward, from Worthington HS in the Columbus, Ohio metro area.

Hughey (also listed as 6'6") is an athletic wing with a good all-around game. From his video highlights he shows some good defensive abilities and really runs the floor well. Not as much of an outside shooter as some other guys we are recruiting but very good inside and off the dribble.

He has about a dozen offers so far, mostly from midwestern teams but also William & Mary and UNCW from the CAA.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.