• 2019 Recruiting

#13915  by tya1
 Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 am
Marcus Domask has narrowed his top five choices to Cincinnati, Loyola (IL), Southern Illinois, Wright State, and Northern Kentucky.

Daniel Sofield has committed to West Florida Univ.
 #13918  by DungeonRealm
 Fri May 03, 2019 1:12 pm
Sitting here wondering who are we going to land
 #13921  by Paul C
 Fri May 03, 2019 3:50 pm
Remember, we only have one available scholarship for next year and two for the following year. So only getting one more signee, or even not using either scholarship, is probably OK. For one, I'm happy with who we have coming back and don't feel any immediate pressure to add bodies.
gman liked this
 #13922  by DungeonRealm
 Fri May 03, 2019 4:08 pm
Paul C wrote:
Remember, we only have one available scholarship for next year and two for the following year. So only getting one more signee, or even not using either scholarship, is probably OK. For one, I'm happy with who we have coming back and don't feel any immediate pressure to add bodies.

If we don't sign anyone else we would have 11 scholarship players next year correct? So we could still sign up to 2 guys right now correct?

I am not going to sugar coat it, after our success from this past season it would kinda stink to not add any of our targets, I still feel we need another big, front court depth was a major weakness for us this past season in the bigger games, hopefully we still add someone solid for this coming seasons roster
 #13924  by Paul C
 Fri May 03, 2019 4:47 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:08 pm
Paul C wrote:

If we don't sign anyone else we would have 11 scholarship players next year correct? So we could still sign up to 2 guys right now correct?

I am not going to sugar coat it, after our success from this past season it would kinda stink to not add any of our targets, I still feel we need another big, front court depth was a major weakness for us this past season in the bigger games, hopefully we still add someone solid for this coming seasons roster
Yes...2 open now
Jordan Lyons only Sr
 #13928  by apaladin
 Fri May 03, 2019 11:10 pm
On the podcast CBR indicated that they would sign at least one more and did not rule out signing 2 but said we would have 2 for next year if we only sign one. He also said they would know a couple of decisions un the next few days. Apparently those decisions did not go our way so we may or may not get another signee. Currently only 10 scholarship players counting the early signees. Possible to have 3 scholarships next year.
 #13931  by CharlieFU
 Sat May 04, 2019 9:20 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:10 pm
On the podcast CBR indicated that they would sign at least one more and did not rule out signing 2 but said we would have 2 for next year if we only sign one. He also said they would know a couple of decisions un the next few days. Apparently those decisions did not go our way so we may or may not get another signee. Currently only 10 scholarship players counting the early signees. Possible to have 3 scholarships next year.
Would rather hold them than use on a “project” player or whatever. Sounds like Coach is being appropriately selective.
MNORM liked this
 #13934  by DungeonRealm
 Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 am
If that is the case why not find a grad transfer that fits our system, helps with depth for next season and saves the scholarship for the following year same as not using it.
We are still kinda thin up front and 1 injury away from possible disaster if you ask me
 #13935  by PaladinPower
 Sat May 04, 2019 10:35 am
Furman is not at all ideal for a grad transfer. The masters degrees here are education and chemistry. Out of 500 grad transfers, those programs appeal to probably 0 of them.

With NG, Slawson, Mounce, Tre Clark, and the two incoming freshmen, we should be just as competitive down low as last year. We actually have more length down in the post.

Wofford lost 3 out of 4 post players and ETSU has 2 seven-footers and some shooters. We are thin as anyone else at the post.
MNORM liked this
 #13939  by DungeonRealm
 Sat May 04, 2019 11:54 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:35 am
Furman is not at all ideal for a grad transfer. The masters degrees here are education and chemistry. Out of 500 grad transfers, those programs appeal to probably 0 of them.

With NG, Slawson, Mounce, Tre Clark, and the two incoming freshmen, we should be just as competitive down low as last year. We actually have more length down in the post.

Wofford lost 3 out of 4 post players and ETSU has 2 seven-footers and some shooters. We are thin as anyone else at the post.
Disagree, if Mounce or Gurley get hurt we will be incredibly reliant on Slawson and 2 true freshmen up front (one of which is a walk on), we needed to get one more big body that works with our motion system (as we know Jalen Williams did not)
I am still hopeful we will land somebody
UNCG certainly has good size still
 #13943  by PaladinPower
 Sun May 05, 2019 11:53 am
An injury to a starting 5 player and major contributor would be detrimental to any team.

People on this thread have mentioned redshirting one of the incoming freshman post players. Why call for a redshirt while also saying we need depth at the post?

CBR said it best when discussing position-less ball. We just need the best players on the court. Whether that is a 7 footer or 5'11 Jordan Lyons. Just my 2 cents
 #13950  by DungeonRealm
 Sun May 05, 2019 11:57 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
An injury to a starting 5 player and major contributor would be detrimental to any team.

People on this thread have mentioned redshirting one of the incoming freshman post players. Why call for a redshirt while also saying we need depth at the post?

CBR said it best when discussing position-less ball. We just need the best players on the court. Whether that is a 7 footer or 5'11 Jordan Lyons. Just my 2 cents

And yet in some of the biggest games from this past season that we lost, what did we learn? We learned we need MORE size

Bob Richey understands this, we are obviously trying to get someone else with size that can contribute on board, we just have not landed any of our targets unfortunately
furpep liked this
 #13959  by apaladin
 Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 pm
PaladinPower wrote:

If we don't sign another player for this upcoming season we will have only 10 scholarship players so I doubt anyone redshirts with the possible exception of the walk-on. It is getting very late so with each passing day so the chances of another quality signee diminishes. I'm a little bit surprised that we did not get at least one of our targeted players.
 #13960  by PaladinPower
 Mon May 06, 2019 12:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

If we don't sign another player for this upcoming season we will have only 10 scholarship players so I doubt anyone redshirts with the possible exception of the walk-on. It is getting very late so with each passing day so the chances of another quality signee diminishes. I'm a little bit surprised that we did not get at least one of our targeted players.
Beeker is a preferred walk on because of his academic scholarship I’m prett sure. Including Marcus Foster, Kenney, and Lawerence, we have 11 basketball scholarships. With Beeker, there are 12. We rotated 7 to 8 for most of the season last year, I doubt CBR plans to implement a new 12 man rotation.
 #13961  by youwouldno
 Mon May 06, 2019 12:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
PaladinPower wrote:

It's 11, and one of the freshmen guards could easily redshirt, unless forced out of it by injury.

My guess is that playing time is an issue for higher-quality recruits this year, because the Paladins have multiple starters in the Junior and Sophomore classes. With respect to guards/wings, it was probably an uphill battle when other strong mid-majors were also involved.

The other thing is that the majority of good recruits commit in the early signing period. So at this point, it's hit or miss regarding who is available.

I don't disagree that the results appear somewhat underwhelming, but I think some people may have had unrealistic expectations.
PaladinPower and 1 others liked this