• SF Austin vs. Furman (Dec. 17th 4:30pm)(Bon Secours Wellness Arena)

#63266  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:46 pm
Couldn't watch because of a family get together so I followed on my phone. Up 27-10 looking good. Up 44-22 at the half. Wow, gonna be a blow-out!

Checked again about 30 min. later and it was 60-60 and I thought there was something wrong with the damn cell phone.

Checked again and it was 72-68 SFA with 39 secs. AW S**t.

Then it was FU 72-70 Final. How did that happen?

You won't believe how unstressful it is to watch on replay. The first half, except for some early turnovers, was the best BB we've played all year. The D was very very good.

The second half was bad but I never saw any panic in any player or coach. And the effort was 100% even if the ball handling wasn't very good.

Injured players or not SFA was a good win.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63274  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:47 pm
Attendance was 4,117 which is a little disappointing but considerng the time/situation not too bad.
Yep, considering school is out, and USC and Clemson fan bases were a no show it was a solid showing for the FU crowd, Greenville is Paladin country!
 #63275  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:58 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:46 pm
Couldn't watch because of a family get together so I followed on my phone. Up 27-10 looking good. Up 44-22 at the half. Wow, gonna be a blow-out!

Checked again about 30 min. later and it was 60-60 and I thought there was something wrong with the damn cell phone.

Checked again and it was 72-68 SFA with 39 secs. AW S**t.

Then it was FU 72-70 Final. How did that happen?

You won't believe how unstressful it is to watch on replay. The first half, except for some early turnovers, was the best BB we've played all year. The D was very very good.

The second half was bad but I never saw any panic in any player or coach. And the effort was 100% even if the ball handling wasn't very good.

Injured players or not SFA was a good win.
Yep we gotta clean up the ball handling, good thing the schedule sets up nice right now for us to work on some things
 #63278  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:35 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Attendance was 4,117 which is a little disappointing but considerng the time/situation not too bad.
Yep, considering school is out, and USC and Clemson fan bases were a no show it was a solid showing for the FU crowd, Greenville is Paladin country!
Ill give CU fans some credit though, it was cool to see the majority of them pulling for us in the final minutes yesterday
dornb, apaladin, Bootie and 2 others liked this
 #63282  by tya1
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:31 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:49 am
Would we have done better against Clemson last night than Richmond did?
And would we have done as well as 7-4 Davidson did yesterday if it had been us instead of Davidson* playing #1, 11-0 Purdue?
Two surprising outcomes.
(As you may know, and documented elsewhere by affirm in UFFP, Richmond and Davidson are 2 of the 22 colleges considered as “peer colleges” by Furman.
Others with athletics programs similar to Furman include Colgate, Holy Cross, Lafayette, and Bucknell. None of those is doing super so far this year, although Colgate won at Syracuse. Holy Cross had a super year in FCS, but in basketball so far they’re 3-8 with no wins of particular note.)
*Davidson stayed close to Purdue entire game (played at Indy). Davidson appears getting stronger in time for A-10. So far, other than the “close” loss to Purdue, their only losses were a couple of 2-pt games (one in OT), and one “bad” loss to CofC.
Richmond also lost to William and Mary, who are sub 300 in the Pomeroy rankings. Richmond made the NCAA tourney last year mainly because they had about 5 5th and even 6th year seniors who decided to stay and use their extra Covid year. Those guys are are all gone now and replaced by less experienced guys who have been inconsistent. Richmond has been bad away from home and mediocre at home. Clemson also lost to Loyola Chicago which has only one win against a team rated in the top 240 in D1. Yes, I think we would do better than Richmond.Oh yeah Clemson also lost to South Carolina who we beat by almost 20.

Purdue had to go to OT to beat 6-6 Nebraska the game before they played Davidson. They have some good victories on their resume but have played down to some opponents. I haven't seen them play this year but most seasons they are big man focused and can have trouble in games that they aren't hitting enough threes to open up the post.
 #63292  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:01 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Ill give CU fans some credit though, it was cool to see the majority of them pulling for us in the final minutes yesterday
I noticed that too. The game yesterday was a rare one. Been watching FU basketball a long time and FU winning on a last second shot is certainly a novelty. The only 2 that come to mind was a couple ov tip ins. The one in the CBI against La. Monroe and Croone’s tip in against WC. Can anyone else remember an actual game winning shot?
 #63294  by gman84
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:22 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I know some folks on here don't care for Clemson, but I'll say this... I know a lot of Clemson people who pull for Furman. I also remember back in the 80s when we had a lot of home football playoff games, many Clemson fans attended our games.
Affirm, MidlandsPaladin, Roundball and 1 others liked this
 #63299  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:10 am
Bootie wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:33 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:17 pm
Couldn’t the stare down here be called a technical foul for taunting? I’ve seen Slaw get away with this more than once recently.

It could, fortunately it was not called. Funny thing Bothwell got a Tech down in the Charleston Classic after scoring a bucket and you can see here he goes right to Slawson to nudge him back down court, Bothwell learned something from his Tech apparently :D
furpop16 liked this
 #63314  by FurmanATT
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:40 pm
Bootie wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:33 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:17 pm
Couldn’t the stare down here be called a technical foul for taunting? I’ve seen Slaw get away with this more than once recently.
I'd hate for a facial expression to justify a technical. Of course, I've seen some strange calls. -- MD
FU Hoopla liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.