• NGU @ Furman Nov. 6th (Opening Night)

#79485  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:16 am
For those not there they showed the trailer for the uocoming documentary. It looks really good. On the orher hand why does Furman have such technical problems these days? For much of the game there were no current lineups displayed with points, fouls etc. on the video boards. It came and went all evenng. There was never any game video the whole night.
Bootie, furpop16 liked this
 #79491  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:24 am
Thought the team showed good effort. Looked like a nice crowd for a Monday night opener.

North Greenville looked scrappy and ready to go. Not the best team we'll play, but certainly seemed a worthy opponent last night.

While we may not have Slawson and Bothwell, it looks like we have a deep rotation of young players that are going to keep improving. I liked a lot of what I saw and wrote some off to opening night mistakes.
AstroDin, dornb, furpop16 liked this
 #79504  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:20 am
So thinking about our 16 point win last night.....

First game of the season, we have 18 turnovers and shoot 3-21 from downtown
Hien never finds a rhythm and scores 2 points, JP does not play at all and Williams has to sit the second half with injury

Yep 16 point DII win sounds about right, lots to sort out this week before we tip-off Friday night against Belmont!
 #79508  by tya1
 Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:36 am
Happy with the win. Obviously wished for a bigger margin but opening games can be surprising and it was also without Pegues - the top returning scorer from last year, who also was 2nd in the league in both assists and assist/TO ratio. I expected a bit of a bumpy road after finding out JP was not going to play. Then Williams had to leave and missed the second half. And Hien was as not effective as usual. I was actually slightly surprised he was out there.

Disappointed we let that late 17 pt. lead evaporate in the first half. I think it gave NGU a real boost to their morale in the second half.

Liked how steady we played despite the terrible three point shooting. Last year we hit 34%. Last night only 14%. Hard to build a big margin with that kind of shooting.

A lot of guys did some positive things. Foster's threes weren't falling but he kept playing hard and was obviously a big part of the victory. Hughey and Vanderwahl looked good. Happy with Molnar's contribution. Whitt looked mostly more comfortable than last year although he did try to force a couple of plays. Wish Smith had hit some threes, although he looked like a good fit for what we do. Bowser was the player I expected. Athletic guy who really runs the court well but needs some improvement in the low post moves department and some more muscle.

Good energy and hustle all night.
 #79511  by Roundball
 Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:49 am
I hope JP's lingering foot injury heals sooner than later. I now remember that he had foot surgery in the spring for the stress fracture and was in a cast for a short period. We sure need is presence on the floor.
 #79518  by KingPaladin
 Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:25 am
Roundball wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:49 am
I hope JP's lingering foot injury heals sooner than later. I now remember that he had foot surgery in the spring for the stress fracture and was in a cast for a short period. We sure need is presence on the floor.
He is confirmed back for Friday
Roundball, FU Hoopla, dornb liked this
 #79583  by cavedweller2
 Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:58 pm
I like a big line up. Hien, Bowser, Vanderwal, Molnar, Williams, Hughey,Foster.

Or smaller with Smith,Pegues, Whitt , Foster, Williams, Hughey, Molnar
 #79712  by KingPaladin
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:08 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:58 pm
I like a big line up. Hien, Bowser, Vanderwal, Molnar, Williams, Hughey,Foster.

Or smaller with Smith,Pegues, Whitt , Foster, Williams, Hughey, Molnar
those lineups would be great for 7 on 7
 #79723  by Bootie
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:59 am
Anybody heard anything about Alex Williams’ finger? Was on his non-shooting hand but maybe dislocated or worse. He was battling out there and took a hard fall at one point too, then came back in with what looked like a splint on the finger.

BVW is a beast. Two great dunks. He goes aggressively to the hole if he sees the slightest opening.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.