• OVC 2 teams - SoCon 1 team

#12302  by soconjohn
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:27 am
Actually, there is no conflict...The second round is being played this weekend...Pardon my reply above. The circus is March 29-31, and in no way conflicts with NIT games. The quarterfinals will be played Mar. 26-27, so there is no conflict...No crisis.
dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #12303  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:38 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 pm
This interview is actually over 7 minutes long. There is another interview about the net and it said Furman had the highest rating among mid-majors for an at large spot and Belmont got in. One guy said he thought the committee was sitting around and saying ok we have to let one of these guys in. Belmont fits everyone agree, yeh,yeh, LOL Thats prolly how it went.
 #12310  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 am
Unrelated, but if the SoCon ever decided to expand under the new commissioner, Belmont is a school I would target as a basketball-only entrant.
Fessor liked this
 #12311  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:11 am
The Jackal wrote:
Unrelated, but if the SoCon ever decided to expand under the new commissioner, Belmont is a school I would target as a basketball-only entrant.

No more basketball only schools, already an unfair advantage for UNCG and don't like it, they spend all their money on Basketball (since no football) just like (Davidson and CofC did), don't want any part of that
 #12313  by gman
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:15 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

No more basketball only schools, already an unfair advantage for UNCG and don't like it, they spend all their money on Basketball (since no football) just like (Davidson and CofC did), don't want any part of that
I don’t have any issues with basketball only schools. FCS football is a money losing game. Basketball is the money making sport for conferences like the SoCon.
Fessor liked this
 #12314  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:20 am
gman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:15 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I don’t have any issues with basketball only schools. FCS football is a money losing game. Basketball is the money making sport for conferences like the SoCon.

My point being, the more basketball only schools the harder it will be for FU to compete, when a school spends way more on basketball becasue they don't have football at all it is an major unfair advantage, that would not help Furman at all
tim liked this
 #12323  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:57 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Davidson HAS a Division 1 FCS Football Team.

They had a winning season in 2018, while beating a Butler (yeah, they also have Football) Team the game before Butler darn near beat a P5/Big XII Team & the Wildcats darn near beat an FCS Playoffs-bound San Diego Team, losing their lead with under 2 minutes to play.
Affirm liked this
 #12324  by gman
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:03 am
soconjohn wrote:
Actually, there is no conflict...The second round is being played this weekend...Pardon my reply above. The circus is March 29-31, and in no way conflicts with NIT games. The quarterfinals will be played Mar. 26-27, so there is no conflict...No crisis.
There is a conflict this coming Saturday, a fundraiser. Hopefully, when we win the first game and Clemson loses, the next home game can be scheduled for Sunday or Monday.
 #12325  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:46 am
gman wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:03 am
soconjohn wrote:
There is a conflict this coming Saturday, a fundraiser. Hopefully, when we win the first game and Clemson loses, the next home game can be scheduled for Sunday or Monday.
Not a problem. CU is not going to lose to Wright State,
 #12328  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:06 am
FUBeAR wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

They had a winning season in 2018, while beating a Butler (yeah, they also have Football) Team the game before Butler darn near beat a P5/Big XII Team & the Wildcats darn near beat an FCS Playoffs-bound San Diego Team, losing their lead with under 2 minutes to play.

Davidson's football budget is extremely small, they are non scholarship as you know, they spend the bulk of their money on basketball and don't devote many resources at all to football, its a huge advantage for them on the hardwood, I don't miss them one bit and don't want Belmont in either as it would be similar situation and would not benefit Furman one bit
 #12344  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:19 pm
Monday wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Wichita State had a football team but did the sensible thing and dropped it in 1986.

http://footballscoop.com/news/wichita-s ... wants-pay/

-I didn't see this topic on another thread
.....and they are trying to revive it.

But don't want to pay for it because it would take away from their HUGE advantage putting so much of their donor money available to them towards basketball, its a HUGE advantage and they don't want to lose it lol, no thanks on adding any of these types of teams to the SoCon ever again (ie. Belmont, Lipscomb ect. ect. ect.), would not benefit Furman at all, in fact lets get rid of UNCG please lol
 #12348  by gman
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:19 pm
Monday wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Wichita State had a football team but did the sensible thing and dropped it in 1986.

http://footballscoop.com/news/wichita-s ... wants-pay/

-I didn't see this topic on another thread
.....and they are trying to revive it.

But don't want to pay for it because it would take away from their HUGE advantage putting so much of their donor money available to them towards basketball, its a HUGE advantage and they don't want to lose it lol, no thanks on adding any of these types of teams to the SoCon ever again (ie. Belmont, Lipscomb ect. ect. ect.), would not benefit Furman at all, in fact lets get rid of UNCG please lol
UNCG has certainly benefited Furman basketball and baseball with quality competition. Football is no longer the top sport for the SoCon. It’s a money losing sport.
 #12349  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:36 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I don't know how much Davidson spends on Football or Basketball. I know they have a student enrollment of 1,810 and an endowment of $822 million. I also know they DO have an NCAA Division 1 FCS Football Team...which you said they didn't. Davidson also has an NCAA Division 1 Basketball Team that is a #4 seed and hosting a 1st round game in the NIT.

I don't know how much Furman spends on Football or Basketball. I know Furman has a student enrollment of 2,746 and an endowment of $661 million. Furman also has an NCAA Division 1 FCS Football Team. Furman also has an NCAA Division 1 Basketball Team that is a #3 seed and hosting a 1st round game in the NIT.

Finally, I believe (but don't know) that expenditures on Athletics are not a "zero-sum game." I KNOW there are people and organizations who donate money to Furman University and/or Furman Athletics BECAUSE Furman has an NCAA Division 1 FCS Football Team. Though it is certainly possible, I doubt there are many people or organizations withholding their contributions to Furman University and/or Furman Athletics because they DO have an NCAA Division 1 FCS Football Team. I don't know how much the net loss (if any) that Furman Football represents for Furman Athletics, but IF there is a loss, to make the assumption that amount is the net amount that could be added to Furman's Basketball budget if Furman did not have an NCAA Division 1 FCS Football Team is, IMO, flawed thinking. Some donors would withhold making any donations, so that amount, whatever it is, would need to be subtracted from the 'net gain' for the Athletics budget. Then, it, of course, wouldn't be 'fair' for Men's Basketball to reap all of the (alleged) financial benefits of not having Football. Certainly, those 'savings' would need to be 'fairly' divided across all of Furman's remaining sports - probably pro rata by Athlete Headcount would be the 'fairest' way to divide the (alleged) gains...so Men's & Women's Lacrosse, I believe, would receive the largest (alleged) benefit, followed by Baseball & Softball maybe, then Men's and Women's Soccer....etc.

So...I just calculated the % of an (alleged) benefit from not having an NCAA Division 1 FCS Football that 'fairly' should be allocated to Men's Basketball. It's 4.42% of the (alleged) savings less the amount of decreased donations. AKA - not much (if anything)...

...but if we believe the data available here: https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

Reporting Year: 07/01/2017 - 06/30/2018
Total Revenues by Team
Varsity Teams Men's Teams
Football $7,283,282

Total Expenses by Team
Football $6,620,250

...this entire conversation is moot...because Furman Football turned a $663,032 profit in this reporting year...

So...the real question is how much would we have to REDUCE the Men's Basketball budget if Furman did not have an NCAA Division 1 FCS Football Team?

In case you want to see the Basketball $'s...

Reporting Year: 07/01/2017 - 06/30/2018
Total Revenues by Team
Basketball $2,763,225

Total Expenses by Team
Basketball $2,301,306

Basketball Profit: $461,919

What is FUBeAR missing? Why is this even a conversation that some peeps seem to so desperately want to have????

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.