• Thoughts

#10932  by fu77fan
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:28 pm
I am sorry that Andrew did not score on senior day. IMHO , we need to find a way to get him more shots. I hope that he will finish the season strong.
MNORM liked this
 #10933  by Fessor
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:35 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:55 pm
Tre only played two minutes. Interesting.
As I recall, Tre was effective guarding McGee in the first game. He certainly matches up better physically against McGee. CBR apparently felt differently.
 #10934  by apaladin
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:41 pm
Of course the long shot of getting an at-large bid to the NCAA is off the table now. There is no way that they will take a 7 loss FU team. Again as we knew would happen blowing the Sammy game comes back to haunt us, just like the ETSU meltdown in football did. No longer have to worry about net rankings except for possible NIT bid. We really need to win the last 2 to make the NIT. Winning at least one game in the tourney would help also.
 #10936  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:28 am
After 16:24 left in the game these are the baskets made by Paladins other than Matt Rafferty:

12:47-2 pointer by Jordan Lyons to make it 46-49

2:36-3 pointer by Mounce

1:47-3 pointer by Mounce

0:05-uncontested dunk by Gurley

Ten points by everybody other than Rafferty the last 16:24 of the game. Including 13:48 where Paladins not named Rafferty scored 2 points. No wonder we lost. Those are ugly stats.

True we have potential and “on any given night” can beat anyone but one thing we have lacked this year is consistency-where everybody shows up to score every night.

I wonder if Andrew Taylor would have made a difference this year? Wonder if he is interested in coming back to Furman?
 #10937  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:08 am
For any team in the conference to beat Wofford they need to bring their A game.

No way that was our A game. We had way too much time where we could not put the ball in the hole.
QCGlue liked this
 #10938  by CharlieFU
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:46 am
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:28 am
After 16:24 left in the game these are the baskets made by Paladins other than Matt Rafferty:

12:47-2 pointer by Jordan Lyons to make it 46-49

2:36-3 pointer by Mounce

1:47-3 pointer by Mounce

0:05-uncontested dunk by Gurley

Ten points by everybody other than Rafferty the last 16:24 of the game. Including 13:48 where Paladins not named Rafferty scored 2 points. No wonder we lost. Those are ugly stats.

True we have potential and “on any given night” can beat anyone but one thing we have lacked this year is consistency-where everybody shows up to score every night.

I wonder if Andrew Taylor would have made a difference this year? Wonder if he is interested in coming back to Furman?
Not sure if you are serious about Taylor but that ship has long since sailed. He is now at Marshall.
 #10941  by gman
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 am
In looking at the stats, FG%, rebounds, assists and turnovers was almost equal. The glaring stats are second chance points, 12-2 in favor of Wofford and number of field goals made and attempted. They attempted 8 more field goals and made 4 more than we did. Our bench outscored them 35-9. This season is far from over. We have much to play for, beginning Thursday night. Beat Samford.
 #10942  by Fuonetime
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:03 am
My takeaways:
1. MR is our MVP. Fletcher is probably Socon MVP. Best player on best team usually wins and he is deserving.
2. MR works hard for most every bucket. Teams are focusing on his inside moves. Taking more shots from 10 feet and beyond might open things up more for him and his teammates. He has a pretty good range.
3. Get a big man. Juco, senior grad, h.s. recruit whatever. We have a good team returning but without a serviceable post player we will struggle at times.
4. Not sure why Jalen never developed. Good size and good kid. Too bad. We could use him next season.
 #10944  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:33 am
gman wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 am
In looking at the stats, FG%, rebounds, assists and turnovers was almost equal. The glaring stats are second chance points, 12-2 in favor of Wofford and number of field goals made and attempted. They attempted 8 more field goals and made 4 more than we did. Our bench outscored them 35-9. This season is far from over. We have much to play for, beginning Thursday night. Beat Samford.
Of course 33 of those 35 bench points came from normal starters. Real bench scored only 2. Agree the 12-2 second chance points was the difference. Watching the game live I thought it was an even bigger difference. Seems like many times WC got 2-3-4 opportunities per trip. I hate that we didn't play well in this once in a lifetime opportunity game.
 #10946  by Fessor
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 am
Dear Furman MensBB Twitter,

A prerequisite for being a crosstown anything is being in the same town; thus, Wofford cannot be a "cross-town rival".
#PleaseQCWhatYouPutOutForPublicConsumption

SMH
 #10948  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:51 am
din23 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:27 pm
We just don't match-up well against such lopsided officiating in Wofford's favor, game was controlled from the outset without question
Quit the whining. The officiating seemed very fair to me. Wofford’s missed 3s led to lots of long rebounds which they took advantage of. That was a key. You’re looking for an excuse when the real cause for the outcome is right in front of you- Wofford played better than us.
When Wofford is allowed to play bully basketball and foul all they want without totally obvious fouls getting called that tells you all you need to know
The refs were some of the worst Ive seen in a few years, controlled the game for Wofford for the entire game, and Iam 100% correct on this, thanks
 #10952  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:07 pm
Previous quote-“I hate that we didn't play well in this once in a lifetime opportunity game.”

Amen! Great crowd, great student section waiting to erupt, national exposure etc. A real opportunity and other than Rafferty no Paladin brought his A game. Some hardly showed up at all.

Can only hope we learn from this and do better on the “big stage” in Asheville.

Rafferty (24) was almost negated by Jackson (18). Magee gets 23 and we had no other scorers other than Lyons (16) and Mounce (6 points until last two minutes) even begin to negate that. Just not enough folks contributing offensively! Surprised we did not lose by 20.
 #10955  by Jasper
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:47 pm
I love CBR but I think he made a JJ like mistake that turned the momentum. After overcoming the early deficit and leading 19-16 and playing really well we subbed 4 people at one time something CBR has not done all year. Even though the starters retuned a couple of minutes later Mo had left the Paladins. After the sub we scored 2 points the next 6.5 minutes and only 9 points the last 12 minutes of the half and WC ran out to a double digit lead and we never got back in sync the rest of the half. Outside of Rafferty we really go pushed around underneath. We missed a lot of close in shots and it seemed like they hit a lot. They outscored us 12-2 in second chance points, this was the difference in the game.
The coach didnt lose this game. Poor shooting and rebounding did. Coaches get much too much praise and blame. Except for a few exceptions, 90% of the job begins and ends with recruiting and developing the right kids. X's and O's are much more important in football than basketball. Do you think that FU would have won yesterday if Coach K or Calipari were coaching them? I don't. (Boeheim maybe) One for all treys in the 1st half and 2nd chance points for WC spelled doom not substitution decisions. If Raff does not play an outstanding game, we get blown out by 20.
 #10956  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm
Never said CBR lost the game but the sub in question certainly changed the direction/momentum of the game. You are right MR and JL basically were the only ones to show up for the game and that is why it went in the L column.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.