• SoCon mercenary schools

#52817  by FUBeAR
 Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:43 pm
Here’s a ‘fun’ article about the ‘good’ & evil of the transfer portal…

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/20 ... -it-seems/
Grambling State volleyball coach Chelsey Lucas cuts entire 19-player roster less than three months into job
Lucas reportedly told the players their scholarships weren't going to be renewed because of their performance in three practices

…a few excerpts…

On April 4, only two months after she was hired, Lucas cut her entire 19-player roster. According to KSLA, Lucas told each player individually their scholarship would not be renewed because they didn't perform to her standard…

Still, Grambling State athletic director Trayveon Scott defended the move by pointing to the transfer portal. "Just as the transfer portal empowers student-athletes," Scott said in a statement, "our coaches are also empowered to make the decisions they deem necessary to advance their programs."

Grambling State athletic communications director Brian Howard also supported Lucas' decision... He explained it makes sense from a numbers perspective because 14 or 15 "quality" players may be joining the team soon…

"I hate to say out with the old, but in with the new a little bit," Howard said. "Obviously we don't want them to be cut or lose their scholarships or whatever that might be or whatever that might look like. (hmmm…must’ve studied his Communications under VP Harris - FB) At the end of the day, Coach Lucas has a goal, has a vision. We have a goal as an institution and a vision as well to win, and that's first and foremost."

FUBeAR would have said “the ONLIEST” instead of “first and foremost” there, but his message is clear (in that quote)…#FUATT to the Recruited Student Athletes (or Student Employees, if you prefer). Winning is the only thing important to us. You (yes, the non-specific “You”) have removed all guardrails.

Just another nail in the coffin that may soon hold the soul (and body, I guess) of FUBeAR’s interest in College Athletics.
 #52842  by Furmanoid
 Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:23 pm
palafan wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:53 am
Transfer portal will be the death of college sports as we know it.
I sorta think we need the 50 or so big boys to just stay around the NCAA pro league and everybody else just start over outside the NCAA. And honestly the best way to avoid all the labor stuff is just to get rid of scholarships. Need to stop exploiting people by bringing them to college if they’re just gonna turn around and bitch about it. Plenty of people want to go to college and want to play while they are there because they like to play. Sure, most of the best athletes would be out of luck, but I’m so sick of their bs that I don’t care.
apaladin, FU69 liked this