• Who will coach Furman next year?

#51966  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:33 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:07 pm
Most candidates are currently unavailable for interviews. CBR could be somewhere on SC's list of fallback options, but very unlikely he actually winds up with the job.
I said look around. And most are obviously unavailable while their teams continue to play, but what about coaches from the 7 teams that will not be playing after leaving Greenville?

I realize JD is a super professional and has his plans and ideas. I expect his eyes and ears are always open to know who good coaching prospects are in all our sports may be.

I am curious to know who members on this message board may think are specific good prospects (whether or not we "promote from current staff").
 #51969  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:44 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:40 pm
is Jeremy Growe ready to be a head coach?
After Bob Richey, Mike Bothwell and Jalen Slawson take us to the Big Dance next year, yes Jeremy Growe will be ready
 #51970  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:33 pm
affirm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
Most candidates are currently unavailable for interviews. CBR could be somewhere on SC's list of fallback options, but very unlikely he actually winds up with the job.
I said look around. And most are obviously unavailable while their teams continue to play, but what about coaches from the 7 teams that will not be playing after leaving Greenville?

I realize JD is a super professional and has his plans and ideas. I expect his eyes and ears are always open to know who good coaching prospects are in all our sports may be.

I am curious to know who members on this message board may think are specific good prospects (whether or not we "promote from current staff").
Seems like the options are:
-Hire a guy from a better program who was just fired.
-Get a guy whose team isn’t as good as us and sees Furman as a step up.
-Promote from within, but that means you are knowingly taking a step back before ever getting where you wanted to get.
- or Furmanoid favorite, get best available from DII. We could probably lure just about anybody we targeted. If we don’t like the Queens or UNC Pembroke guys I mentioned since they only win about 72%, why not Crutchfield at undefeated Nova Southeast who wins 85% over a 20+ year career?
 #51971  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:38 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:33 pm
affirm wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Seems like the options are:
-Hire a guy from a better program who was just fired.
-Get a guy whose team isn’t as good as us and sees Furman as a step up.
-Promote from within, but that means you are knowingly taking a step back before ever getting where you wanted to get.
- or Furmanoid favorite, get best available from DII. We could probably lure just about anybody we targeted. If we don’t like the Queens or UNC Pembroke guys I mentioned since they only win about 72%, why not Crutchfield at undefeated Nova Southeast who wins 85% over a 20+ year career?

Bob Richey came from within, just saying
din23 liked this
 #51972  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:47 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:44 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:40 pm
is Jeremy Growe ready to be a head coach?
After Bob Richey, Mike Bothwell and Jalen Slawson take us to the Big Dance next year, yes Jeremy Growe will be ready
Sure. But when CBR takes him to UofSC or to “fill in the blank whatever else univer$ity” that CBR goes to from Furman, Growe will no longer be available to us.
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #51975  by RaleighDin
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:38 am
MB said in his Marc Ryan interview that the choice for him and Slawson was whether to go pro, or come back to Furman. Said there was no interest in going anywhere else.

One thought I've had is this could be a ploy by CBR to move along the Timmons renovations. JD indicated we're still $10m short of starting, but maybe the university steps up and moves faster if they know CBR would stay?

Lastly, we've all interviewed for jobs we didn't intend to take. The experience is always helpful - don't want to rule out that possibility. I have no doubt there are big jobs he would want, just would be surprised if this is one. But the chance to leverage FU and get experience under his belt interviewing for a job at the level he one day might go to? Seems like a smart move to me.
din23 liked this
 #51976  by Furmanoid
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:14 am
RaleighDin wrote:
MB said in his Marc Ryan interview that the choice for him and Slawson was whether to go pro, or come back to Furman. Said there was no interest in going anywhere else.

One thought I've had is this could be a ploy by CBR to move along the Timmons renovations. JD indicated we're still $10m short of starting, but maybe the university steps up and moves faster if they know CBR would stay?

Lastly, we've all interviewed for jobs we didn't intend to take. The experience is always helpful - don't want to rule out that possibility. I have no doubt there are big jobs he would want, just would be surprised if this is one. But the chance to leverage FU and get experience under his belt interviewing for a job at the level he one day might go to? Seems like a smart move to me.
How many times have you turned down 2-300% raises? I hardly ever do that. The main reason to turn it down is because you’d be working for delusional idiots. But the act of offering CBR would be an indication that they are getting less delusional and less idiotic.
Affirm liked this
 #51978  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:31 am
Furmanoid wrote:
RaleighDin wrote:

How many times have you turned down 2-300% raises? I hardly ever do that. The main reason to turn it down is because you’d be working for delusional idiots. But the act of offering CBR would be an indication that they are getting less delusional and less idiotic.
I believe you mean 200 not 2. 2 would be like suicide.
 #51979  by AstroDin
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:05 am
If Tanner goes with Richey—it will take a hard sell to the Gamecock base.
I'm also an SC grad and I'm still connected to my buddies that bleed Garnet.

The story goes… I really like Furman, pull for them, like Richey but he's not ready for SEC ball.
Part of me thinks SC is a sleeping tiger and part of me thinks — does Columbia really care about college basketball?

On taking your dream job… a little advice from experience… be careful what you wish for. It's never the Shangri-La it appears to be—reality—can be a rude awakening. LOL—I'm sure Bob Richey will take my advice!

Furman has a bit of a history of all-mosts with Basketball coaching since Joe Williams left for FSU.
Eddie Holbrook one NCAA appearance
Butch Estes one NIT appearance
Bob Richey one NIT appearance
I don't need to go into the coaching whiffs; Gene Davis and Joe Cantifio… oh boy!

IF— Richey does leave for Columbia, I feel like Furman is in a much better place to keep the momentum of the program. Most of my positive vibe for Furman's BB future rests on our AD and that it has to be obvious to the FU Adm that Furman basketball is a potential PR juggernaut for the school.

I love Furman football but the reality is Furman basketball has the potential to be the crown jewel for Furman's school awareness and alumni pride. My guess is Furman can and will pony up some $$$ for the next coach. ($$$ = over 250k)

I'm just a fan—and that usually means unrealistic and uneducated expectations. That said Niko and Bob have built a culture and a sense of community into the program. They both have shown the uncanny ability to recruit and develop players that seem to mesh to a greater team unit rather than a team built around a couple of stars.

It's not a question of IF but When JD has to bring in a new leader to head Furman BB. I don't envy his responsibility…
 #51980  by RaleighDin
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:34 am
Furmanoid wrote:
RaleighDin wrote:

My point is that it's not all about the money. AstroDin alluded to this in his post as well. He very well may want the job, and take the probably 300-500% raise that comes with it. More power to him!

However, at FU he rules the roost. He's the face of a rising program, and has the attention of the board of trustees such that we're seeing long overdue investment in the program on the part of the university. At USC - they'll own him. The demand from boosters and the university will increase exponentially, and that's not even including expectations for on court results. The man just had his 3rd child and they moved to downtown Greenville. There are a lot of factors that go into a decision like this other than $$$. If you take the job for money, aren't happy, and unemployed in a year or two, now you're moving your family again to wherever the next opportunity is.
dornb liked this
 #51981  by The Jackal
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:58 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
RaleighDin wrote:

My point is that it's not all about the money. AstroDin alluded to this in his post as well. He very well may want the job, and take the probably 300-500% raise that comes with it. More power to him!

However, at FU he rules the roost. He's the face of a rising program, and has the attention of the board of trustees such that we're seeing long overdue investment in the program on the part of the university. At USC - they'll own him. The demand from boosters and the university will increase exponentially, and that's not even including expectations for on court results. The man just had his 3rd child and they moved to downtown Greenville. There are a lot of factors that go into a decision like this other than $$$. If you take the job for money, aren't happy, and unemployed in a year or two, now you're moving your family again to wherever the next opportunity is.
I've said this before, but you can do a lot worse that a pretty decent salary, fan and alumni support, good quality of life, and a relatively low pressure environment at Furman.

Many of us could take more money to work somewhere with a lower quality of life. I chose not to. I'm sure some of you chose the same.

If you want to climb the coaching ranks, cool. Furman is what it is.

At the same time, a mens basketball coach can build a pretty sizable brand at a smaller school. There are mid-major coaches that are just as much of a brand name as just about anyone coaching at the upper ranks.
dornb liked this
 #51982  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:00 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:05 am
If Tanner goes with Richey—it will take a hard sell to the Gamecock base.
I'm also an SC grad and I'm still connected to my buddies that bleed Garnet.

The story goes… I really like Furman, pull for them, like Richey but he's not ready for SEC ball.
Part of me thinks SC is a sleeping tiger and part of me thinks — does Columbia really care about college basketball?

On taking your dream job… a little advice from experience… be careful what you wish for. It's never the Shangri-La it appears to be—reality—can be a rude awakening. LOL—I'm sure Bob Richey will take my advice!

Furman has a bit of a history of all-mosts with Basketball coaching since Joe Williams left for FSU.
Eddie Holbrook one NCAA appearance
Butch Estes one NIT appearance
Bob Richey one NIT appearance
I don't need to go into the coaching whiffs; Gene Davis and Joe Cantifio… oh boy!

IF— Richey does leave for Columbia, I feel like Furman is in a much better place to keep the momentum of the program. Most of my positive vibe for Furman's BB future rests on our AD and that it has to be obvious to the FU Adm that Furman basketball is a potential PR juggernaut for the school.

I love Furman football but the reality is Furman basketball has the potential to be the crown jewel for Furman's school awareness and alumni pride. My guess is Furman can and will pony up some $$$ for the next coach. ($$$ = over 250k)

I'm just a fan—and that usually means unrealistic and uneducated expectations. That said Niko and Bob have built a culture and a sense of community into the program. They both have shown the uncanny ability to recruit and develop players that seem to mesh to a greater team unit rather than a team built around a couple of stars.

It's not a question of IF but When JD has to bring in a new leader to head Furman BB. I don't envy his responsibility…
GREAT commentary there. Very well stated. I agree with most or all of what you said. Furman basketball has the potential to be the crown jewel, similar to what Davidson has or at least Richmond.
I’m curious about where you stated “$$$ = over 250k”. I’m guessing CBR is already getting about $400,000 and that by “pony up for the next coach”, your “over 250k” means we will add over 250k to the level of CBR’s salary to get our next coach in order to get one “seemingly as good as” CBR. I am guessing that CBR is already making significantly above 250k as Furman’s head coach - like I said, about $400,000.
 #51983  by Affirm
 Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:08 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:58 am
RaleighDin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
RaleighDin wrote:

I've said this before, but you can do a lot worse that a pretty decent salary, fan and alumni support, good quality of life, and a relatively low pressure environment at Furman.

Many of us could take more money to work somewhere with a lower quality of life. I chose not to. I'm sure some of you chose the same.

If you want to climb the coaching ranks, cool. Furman is what it is.

At the same time, a mens basketball coach can build a pretty sizable brand at a smaller school. There are mid-major coaches that are just as much of a brand name as just about anyone coaching at the upper ranks.
“Relatively” low pressure is right, although it depends on what it’s relative to. Head basketball coach at Furman is NOT low pressure (maybe it was low pressure in the past for some of our previous basketball coaches), nor is football, nor is athletics director.
In my understanding , none of those jobs is low pressure, not now.
We are blessed to have the individuals we have in all 3 of those jobs - and ones we have in many other jobs at Furman as well.