• Coach Richey

#51850  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:15 pm
Take the 5 million a year that we supposedly saved on bb and give it to CBR.
You think any money “saved on bb” just sitting somewhere?
It’s not.
Or if it is, it is designated already.
 #51852  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:47 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:15 pm
Take the 5 million a year that we supposedly saved on bb and give it to CBR.
You think any money “saved on bb” just sitting somewhere?
It’s not.
Or if it is, it is designated already.
It’s 5 million per year. Plenty to go around.
 #51854  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:50 pm
Espn story does not mention CBR as a candidate. Coaches from Cleveland St, Chattanooga, Murray St and former Gamecock B.J. Mckie an assistant at WF as candidates.
 #51855  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:59 pm
South Carolina is one of the teams in the Charleston Classic next season too
 #51857  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:09 pm
How did Gonzaga manage to keep Mark Few all these years?

How has Davidson been able to keep Bob McKillop all these years?
 #51861  by tim
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:22 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

Prolly add Mike Young at Wofftard to that.
 #51862  by RaleighDin
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:48 pm
Just like everyone, this news makes me nervous! But I also feel at his core that Bob loves getting to build a program, and he's got us on the verge of taking more steps this coming year. A preseason tournament? check. Timmons renovations? Maybe not quite there, but it seems like major headway has been made.

I hope that combining the above with the potential return of Mike and Slaw will weigh heavily enough to keep him in the boat this go round. He and his family did just move downtown so you'd think that might signal intent to stay longer term, but that's just me grasping at straws.

I also understand that these jobs don't come open every day, and so if that's his ultimate goal, we might be out of luck. After that last second shot and not making the NIT - this would be another kick in the teeth.
 #51864  by AstroDin
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:19 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

Listed salary for Few > 2 MIL a year
Listed salary for McKillop > 400 K one of the lowest in the A10
 #51875  by youwouldno
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:50 pm
The chances of CBR getting a power conference offer at this stage are very, very low, much less than fans on here think. That has nothing to do with Richey's ability, but just the general resume items that big schools look for (high-major assistant experience, post-season appearances & success, style of play considerations, etc.).
 #51878  by tya1
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:27 pm
tim wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:22 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

Prolly add Mike Young at Wofftard to that.
Mark Few inherited a team that went to the Sweet Sixteen the year before he became head coach. He then went to two more in a row.In fact they have gone to every tournament since then. Gonzaga always had NCAA tournament money to keep him happy. Also, Dan Monson, the coach he succeeded, has never had the same success at either Minnesota or Long Beach State that he had at Gonzaga. The grass isn't always greener.

McKillop was coach at Davidson 5 years before he had a winning season and 9 years before winning the SoCon and going to the NCAA tournament. He probably felt gratitude that he wasn't fired early on when he was averaging less than 10 wins a year. There were some Davidson donors who wanted him gone after his third year.

Similar situation for Young. It took him 7 years before his first winning season and 8 years to make the NCAAs.
 #51885  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:40 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:50 pm
The chances of CBR getting a power conference offer at this stage are very, very low, much less than fans on here think. That has nothing to do with Richey's ability, but just the general resume items that big schools look for (high-major assistant experience, post-season appearances & success, style of play considerations, etc.).
Instead of “… very, very low, much less than …“, I would substitute “… perhaps a little less than ….”. I think you underestimate.
 #51930  by Affirm
 Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:21 pm
3:11 pm The State reports definitely Tanner will soon interview Richey.