• THOUGHTS

#49966  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:18 am
One of the mysteries of basketball is how a good shooting team can all go cold at the same time:
Our starters yesterday:
37%
28%
27%
21%
12%
From 3:
28%
33%
40%
0%
0%
 #49967  by Sad Din
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:44 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:18 am
One of the mysteries of basketball is how a good shooting team can all go cold at the same time:
Our starters yesterday:
37%
28%
27%
21%
12%
From 3:
28%
33%
40%
0%
0%
something was up becuase the normally reliable shooters were no-shows. Hopefully a one time blip. Even the greatest 3P guy of all time (Curry) has bad nites
 #49971  by purplehorse
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:39 pm
I have wondered if our shooters feel like they can shoot as well at Bon Secours vs at Timmons.

We need to get beyond our annual tendency to have a season split with most of the better teams in the conference. Need to sweep ETSU and Wofford.
 #49974  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:35 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:39 pm
I have wondered if our shooters feel like they can shoot as well at Bon Secours vs at Timmons.

We need to get beyond our annual tendency to have a season split with most of the better teams in the conference. Need to sweep ETSU and Wofford.
Don’t think so. Against Mercer at the Well we shot 53% and 45% from 3 in the first half. With a big lead cooled off some in the second half but still finished at 43% and 38.5 from 3. The Well is no differnt than all the other venues they play in. IIRC, Didn’t we shoot pretty well at Louusvile, NC and Miss. St.? Agree we need to sweep ET and WC, in fact we need to run the table. FWIW I would not be shocked to see uncg lose at Western Monday night.
 #49975  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:35 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:22 am
Why does no one ever reference Sagarin, even if it is not the most accurate or most sophisticated indicator? I happen to like seeing FU so clearly shown as #82 in the nation, above so many high profile schools.
I thnk you answered your own question, FU is ranked higher in both kenpom and the NET. Why don’t you like seeing FU ranked #69 in kenpom and #76 in the Net and ranked above so many high profile schools? Sagarin has FU rated lower than anyone.
More familiar with Sagarin.
Sagarin seems easier to read.
Sagarin ranks conferences in addition to just schools and clearly presents lists of every school in every conference including rankings.
Sagarin seemingly gets broader recognition and more publicity.
 #49978  by apaladin
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:35 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
Why does no one ever reference Sagarin, even if it is not the most accurate or most sophisticated indicator? I happen to like seeing FU so clearly shown as #82 in the nation, above so many high profile schools.
I thnk you answered your own question, FU is ranked higher in both kenpom and the NET. Why don’t you like seeing FU ranked #69 in kenpom and #76 in the Net and ranked above so many high profile schools? Sagarin has FU rated lower than anyone.
Sagarin ranks conferences in addition to just schools and clearly presents lists of every school in every conference including rankings.
I really haven’t heard any of the talking heads mention Sagarin in a long tme. It’s all about the NET now because its the NCAA’s own tool. Kenpom gets way more mention than Sagarin these days.
 #49981  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:35 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
I really haven’t heard any of the talking heads mention Sagarin in a long tme. It’s all about the NET now because its the NCAA’s own tool. Kenpom gets way more mention than Sagarin these days.
I wouldn’t know.
I don’t listen much to any sports talking heads.
… Sagarin ratings seemingly got a lot of attention in USA Today sports coverage in the past. I don’t know if that’s still the case.
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #50153  by Fuonetime
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:51 pm
We have improved and developed but so has the opposition. Our big 3 have been stellar. Hunter may have dropped a bit after his concussion but still an impact player for us. Jalen and Mike have been All Socon type players. Conley has been a great addition. Joe, Heim, Marcus have emerged as reliable players with good upside. JP and Tyrese have showed great promise. Bottom line, we have good players with enough depth to keep fresh legs on the court. I think that CBR’s philosophy of the ‘ball flying around the court” is right. In other words, make lots of quick passes until someone gets open for a high percentage shot. We generally will not have a big talent advantage so we have to play hard and fast and protect the ball. A key to getting the right shot is drives to the basket and either find a good shot or an open teammate. Mike and Jalen and now Hein are best at taking the ball to the hoop. However, sometimes it is slow in developing and stagnates our offense. Our guys have been and will be well scouted and the opponents will know their tendencies and will double team if necessary. Lets speed up the offense get the ball “flying around.” Additionally, we need to focus on defense and rebounding as CBR emphasizes,. We have the team and the coaches to win in Asheville even though we have all been traumatized by the last 2 games. Finally, one thing that i like about our Coach is that he is willing to make changes to the lineup and minutes each Paladin plays. I am sure he has been stewing on the past 2 games and thinking about the team and the next game. By the way the game against UTC is very big. We need to stop this slide and get our Mo back. Turn up and turn out. Reverse the curse. Go Paladins.
apaladin, Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #50157  by Affirm
 Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:03 am
This morning fuonetime wrote “traumatized”.
Let’s have a subtitle or alternate title for the UFFP:
Call it the “FFPTSDTP” (Furman Fans PTSD Therapy Page)
Fuonetime and 1 others liked this
 #50166  by Furmanoid
 Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:41 am
Cannabis works real good for that.
FU69 liked this
 #50168  by Affirm
 Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:08 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:41 am
Cannabis works real good for that.
I like the group therapy aspect of UFFP, plus I assume it’s cheaper.
 #50175  by Sad Din
 Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:04 pm
Thoughts...?

1. This Team is the most talented and deepest in years
2. Good Teams suffer slumps especially when SoCon insists on using bad refs
3. Its all about the tourney
4. Dins have a great chance of goin dancing
5. Dins had a great run, which makes a L more dissappointing
6. Dins have passionate fan base.... thats agood thing

Beat Chatty!
apaladin, Affirm, Davemeister and 1 others liked this