• Bad or Good Night in the SoCon

#48121  by furpop16
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:46 pm
Good news Sanford beat Ole Miss by 2. Bad news SU is FUs first conference game.
Good news: Samford is 240 KenPom (FU is 117).
 #48127  by Affirm
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:34 pm
Good night in the SoCon: Furman wins.
Good night in the SoCon: Samford wins over SEC team.
Bad night in the SoCon: Davidson, a small college mid-major of our immediate region which left SoCon 7 years ago, wins over a different SEC team that was 10th ranked nationally.
By the way, why does the "unfair officiating" at SEC arenas not catch up with Samford and Davidson, but we think it always applies to FU?
 #48128  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:39 pm
affirm wrote:
Bad night in the SoCon: Davidson, a small college mid-major of our immediate region which left SoCon 7 years ago, wins over a different SEC team that was 10th ranked nationally.
By the way, why does the "unfair officiating" at SEC arenas not catch up with Samford and Davidson, but we think it always applies to FU?
Because those teams don’t commit 5 turnovers in the last 3 mins, go scoreless th last 2+ mins and then blame the refs. Hate Davidson won, still one of my least favorite teams. Of course the refs cost ‘Bama in the end when Bama missed the tying free throw with 5 seconds left they only had 4 fouls so they couldn’t put DC on the line. The lack of calls on Bama backfired, :lol:
Last edited by apaladin on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #48129  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:40 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:46 pm
Good news Sanford beat Ole Miss by 2. Bad news SU is FUs first conference game.
Good news: Samford is 240 KenPom (FU is 117).
They won’t be in the morning. Prolly will be very close to FU. FU will prolly drop a few spots for only winning by 14, and they will gain a lot.
 #48140  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:52 am
Sorry, I was thinking NET which hasn’t been updated with Tuesdays games. Never pay attention to Kenpom and Sagarin. The NET is the ncaa’s and what they rely on for the most part. I also think it is much more accurate than the others. Just my opinion which means nothing,
 #48142  by Affirm
 Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:18 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:39 pm
affirm wrote:
Because those teams don’t commit 5 turnovers in the last 3 mins, go scoreless th last 2+ mins and then blame the refs. Hate Davidson won, still one of my least favorite teams. Of course the refs cost ‘Bama in the end when Bama missed the tying free throw with 5 seconds left they only had 4 fouls so they couldn’t put DC on the line. The lack of calls on Bama backfired, :lol:
Good explanation of what went on with the refs.
By the way, now that you’ve known 2 of your least favorite teams, Davidson and Clemson, I will be interested to know also your some of your other least favorites, or even most favorites besides FU.
apaladin liked this
 #48148  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:34 am
WC and Citadel or least favs in SoCon like everyone. Kinda like Gonzaga because they are good and non power 5. Sammy jumped 53 spots in the Net from 203 to 152. FU went from 118 to 116.
 #48162  by Affirm
 Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:34 am
WC and Citadel or least favs in SoCon like everyone. Kinda like Gonzaga because they are good and non power 5. Sammy jumped 53 spots in the Net from 203 to 152. FU went from 118 to 116.
I can see why we like Gonzaga - 7700 students, 23 times in NCAA tournament (all occurring since FU), 39-23 in NCAA tournament, 10 times seeded as 4, 3, 2, or 1 entering NCAA tournament.
HOWEVER, while I neither hate nor love Davidson and Richmond and Holy Cross, those are teams that I think Furman should be able to emulate. All 3 are quite close to Furman in enrollment size and type of school academically.
Furman has been in NCAA 6 times, 1-7, last time 1980, 42 years ago. NIT 2 times, 0-2.
Davidson NCAA 14 times, 8-15, last time 2018. NIT 10 times, 3-9. SMALLER SCHOOL THAN FURMAN IN ENROLLMENT.
Richmond NCAA 9 times (all since Furman was last in NCAA), 8-9, “giant killers”. NIT 10 times,11-10.
Holy Cross, NCAA 13 times. NIT 12 times, 11-11.
If we somehow get our act together by the first week of March 2022, maybe it can be the start of emulating those 3.
More to the point short term: I am glad Davidson beat #10 Alabama the other night; we should emulate that also.
And yes, I think we have a better chance of emulating Davidson, Richmond, Holy Cross, than we have of emulating Gonzaga.
Gonzaga is a “national university” (per USN&WR), awards a lot of masters and doctorates. Furman, Davidson, Richmond, Holy Cross are “National Liberal Arts Colleges” (per USN&WR).
 #48168  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:37 pm
ETSU beat Georgia 86-84. Georgia is now 1-2 against the SoCon with their only win a nailbiter against bottom feeder WCU. UTC won at MTSU by 12. WC and VMI had games cancelled.
 #48190  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:46 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:37 pm
ETSU beat Georgia 86-84. Georgia is now 1-2 against the SoCon with their only win a nailbiter against bottom feeder WCU. UTC won at MTSU by 12. WC and VMI had games cancelled.
Georgia may not care about basketball.
 #48207  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:07 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:54 am
I have no desire to become a Davidson Emulator.
I don’t know…

Davidson is definitely on the rise - 2 consecutive FCS Playoff Trips and a new stadium in the works.

Don’t think we need a completely new stadium, but putting $45M into Paladin Stadium renovations & enhancements could make it a Top 5 FCS venue.

On these points, FUBeAR wholeheartedly agrees with affrim - LET’S DO DAVIDSON!!!
 #48230  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:51 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:54 am
I have no desire to become a Davidson Emulator.
Often people and organizations just don't really want to improve, for various reasons.

And by the way, I fully realize we do not want to be an emulator of Holy Cross in its present condition! They are 0-10, one of the worst teams in Division I. Note that I am talking about the long term, not just right now. I am talking about a period of the last 75 years for Holy Cross, including fairly recently. They will be back.

Also regarding Holy Cross, this news story from 3 weeks ago. You can quibble about their basketball success in recent years, but at least they've been in multiple NCAA tournament games since Furman last appeared, and they at least won an NCAA tournament game 6 years ago. So, this:
"Holy Cross' athletic teams are tied for first in the nation with an overall graduation rate of 99 percent, according to the Graduation Success Rate Report which has been released by the NCAA. This marks the second straight year in which the Crusaders have led the nation and the 15th consecutive year in which they have posted a Graduation Success Rate of at least 97 percent.
Holy Cross finished in an eight-way tie for first in the nation with its 99 percent Graduation Success Rate. The seven schools to match the Crusaders at 99 percent were Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, La Salle, Lafayette and Yale.

Twenty-three of a possible 26 Holy Cross athletic teams achieved a perfect 100 percent graduation rate. The Crusader programs to post perfect graduation rates were baseball, men's basketball, women's basketball, men's cross country, women's cross country, men's golf, women's golf, men's ice hockey, women's ice hockey, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, women's rowing, women's soccer, softball, men's swimming and diving, women's swimming and diving, men's tennis, women's tennis, men's indoor track and field, men's outdoor track and field, women's indoor track and field, women's outdoor track and field, and volleyball."
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #48231  by Affirm
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:00 pm
I assume everyone knows what "emulate" means. Nevertheless, here is what I consider it to mean, in the context of what I have written above.

- to strive to equal or excel

- to equal or approach equality with

- to match or surpass (a person or achievement).

I especially like the "surpass" part.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.