• Our SoCon Tourney Road to the Championship

#37796  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:40 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:46 am
I kinda think we have a better chance than anyone else, but it’s still less than 50 %.
that makes sense - barring absolute domination you would always take the 'field... Furman / Woff / UNCG / Chatt / ETSU etc so many have a realistic chance to win it all. In no order it is probably 15 / 15 / 20 / 10/ 10 / 10 / 10/ 5/ 5 to win it all. That probably isn't the right number of teams but you get my pt. You would Always take "the field" over any one team. Say WOff or UNCG is top chance to win it.. I would give them each a 20/25% at best to win it - too much parity
 #37800  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:20 pm
gofurman wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
I kinda think we have a better chance than anyone else, but it’s still less than 50 %.
that makes sense - barring absolute domination you would always take the 'field... Furman / Woff / UNCG / Chatt / ETSU etc so many have a realistic chance to win it all. In no order it is probably 15 / 15 / 20 / 10/ 10 / 10 / 10/ 5/ 5 to win it all. That probably isn't the right number of teams but you get my pt. You would Always take "the field" over any one team. Say WOff or UNCG is top chance to win it.. I would give them each a 20/25% at best to win it - too much parity
I figured we had like a 25% chance, but I was afraid to say that.
 #37814  by Affirm
 Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:11 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Apparently, what is being said here is that Furman's chance is maybe 15%.
Over the years of 1981-2020 (40 years), the number of times that Furman won the annual tournament was ZERO. "ZERO and 40". Is there someone on here who could please tell me what is the statistical probability of that happening ZERO times out of 40, if random? I realize it is not random and is influenced by resources of each school, but overall, I am not convinced that Furman's resources compared to each of the other teams' resources have been that much lower (nor higher).
Also, over the years of 1971-1980 (10 years), the number of times that Furman won the annual tournament was SIX. "SIX and 4." What is the statistical probability of SIX out of 10, if random?
The following probably does not matter, but here is some additional information:
  • during 1971 - 1980, Furman won the regular season 4 times, each in years that Furman won the conference tournament also; during 1981-2020, Furman won the regular season 2 times
     #37819  by Sad Din
     Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:34 pm
    CBS sports has UNCG playing CU in 1st round. Others have SoCon going against Va Tec (Mike Youngs team). Both of those would be amazing for the Dins
     #37828  by apaladin
     Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:59 pm
    Sad Din wrote:
    Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:34 pm
    CBS sports has UNCG playing CU in 1st round. Others have SoCon going against Va Tec (Mike Youngs team). Both of those would be amazing for the Dins
    Clempson as a #4 is a joke. Lunardi has them as a 6 which is still too high.
     #37849  by Flagman
     Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:12 am
    Apparently, no tickets available to the tournament for the general public.
     #37853  by Roundball
     Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:00 pm
    Flagman wrote:
    Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:12 am
    Apparently, no tickets available to the tournament for the general public.
    Limited to 125 per team. I guess the easiest thing to do is to limit those to family members and the top supporters. I understand that.
     #37856  by Furmanoid
     Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm
    affirm wrote:
    Furmanoid wrote:
    gofurman wrote:
    Furmanoid wrote:
    Over the years of 1981-2020 (40 years), the number of times that Furman won the annual tournament was ZERO. "ZERO and 40". Is there someone on here who could please tell me what is the statistical probability of that happening ZERO times out of 40, if random? I realize it is not random and is influenced by resources of each school, but overall, I am not convinced that Furman's resources compared to each of the other teams' resources have been that much lower (nor higher).
    Also, over the years of 1971-1980 (10 years), the number of times that Furman won the annual tournament was SIX. "SIX and 4." What is the statistical probability of SIX out of 10, if random?
    The following probably does not matter, but here is some additional information:
    • during 1971 - 1980, Furman won the regular season 4 times, each in years that Furman won the conference tournament also; during 1981-2020, Furman won the regular season 2 times
      Back in the day we had some dominant teams that could really only be challenged by maybe one other SoCon team. Few teams had any chance at all of beating us. So we probably had about a 70-80% chance. It was way non random. This year everybody seems to be able to lose to everybody so it’s more random. But I think we have a slightly better roster than anybody else, so I’d still say we have more like a 25% hope.
       #37865  by Sad Din
       Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:52 pm
      Furmanoid wrote:
      Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm
      affirm wrote:
      Furmanoid wrote:
      gofurman wrote:
      Furmanoid wrote:
        Back in the day we had some dominant teams that could really only be challenged by maybe one other SoCon team. Few teams had any chance at all of beating us. So we probably had about a 70-80% chance. It was way non random. This year everybody seems to be able to lose to everybody so it’s more random. But I think we have a slightly better roster than anybody else, so I’d still say we have more like a 25% hope.
        Probably best chance in years to get to the tourney and some folks want to rehash the last 40 years?

Thats a good topic if Dins dont make it... but right now... full steam ahead... damn the torpedoes!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.