• Dins Day 2020 money haul

#29213  by Fuonetime
 Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:06 pm
Disappointing that more money was not raised but thankful for 1 million plus. The Dins Day 2020 was divided into 6 major categories with each category having their own goal. Only the athletic category reached and exceeded their participation goal. I’m sure there are a lot of excuses why we did not do better...COVID 19, elimination of baseball, lacrosse etc. I do feel FU could have done a better job promoting the event. Hopefully, we will do better in the future. Thanks to everyone who gave to Dins Day 2020. Go Paladins!
 #29220  by Roundball
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:08 am
MetroMizzy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:39 pm
Two "biggest sports" at Furman earned $16.5K in donations on Dins Day?? Is that normal? That's awful.
The amount raised for basketball was $11,975. The goal was 10,000. There is nothing “awful” about beating a goal. DINS Day is not the only time dollars are raised for basketball.
 #29235  by MetroMizzy
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 pm
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
Two "biggest sports" at Furman earned $16.5K in donations on Dins Day?? Is that normal? That's awful.
The amount raised for basketball was $11,975. The goal was 10,000. There is nothing “awful” about beating a goal. DINS Day is not the only time dollars are raised for basketball.
Let me rephrase, in the context of the total amount of money raised, that isn't a lot of money. Honestly, I didn't know about the goal or the 6 categories, etc... For the past few years, when I had in interest in Dins Day, I actually thought all of the money went to athletics.

Also, it should be noted that Women's Soccer received a pretty darn nice $500K gift! That's sweet since "the university is trending towards endowing all athletic programs..." At least that is what JD told us.
 #29247  by FU03times
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:29 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:06 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:36 am
furpep wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:52 am
My word, such a lot of moaning about baseball, a sport that drew so few people nobody cared until it was dropped. Certainly did not cause the drop in $$ unless those who say this were going to personally give about $1 Million. You gave that for baseball in past years, correct? No you didn't and you know it. So stop trying to make baseball something it never was at Furman - a great nationally competitive, big time $$ program.
I bet the controversy would go away if somebody at FU would explain in clear language how cutting the two sports actually saved any money or enough money to make a difference and why exactly the money needed to be saved. This message was sort of garbled. The endowment story is shaky because that should be mostly healed by now. And unless FU decides for some reason to join a tiny handful of schools staying closed, the whole Covid excuse is shaky. So maybe it is part of a long range plan, which the AD said it sort was and sort of wasn’t. But it isn’t clear. If it is a plan to free up money for football and basketball (like keeping the b’ball coach and bringing in big time opponents), cool. But they haven’t said that at all.
If it had been explained in clear language, the people who wanted it to be a controversy would have chosen to “not understand it” and to oppose it.
Long -range plan has been explained: have the flexibility to put resources, which are limited and will be increasingly limited, where it is believed (by those who are responsible and whose job it is) that they will have the best return.
I wish this article had been better circulated. I got a lot of the answers I was seeking in regards to how and why FU athletics acted in response to COVID-19
https://amp.thestate.com/sports/other-s ... 14671.html
Has this been posted on here? Sorry, I haven’t been able to stay up to date with everyone’s posts on the forum.
 #29248  by fufanatic
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:14 pm
I hope you heard wrong because I don’t think it’s possible to endow football.
You can endow coaching positions, which would be a giant money saver long term.
 #29249  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:40 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
Let me rephrase, in the context of the total amount of money raised, that isn't a lot of money. Honestly, I didn't know about the goal or the 6 categories, etc... For the past few years, when I had in interest in Dins Day, I actually thought all of the money went to athletics.

Also, it should be noted that Women's Soccer received a pretty darn nice $500K gift! That's sweet since "the university is trending towards endowing all athletic programs..." At least that is what JD told us.
Makes the figures look much worse when you take away that $500k women’s soccer gift. Maybe Davis’ long term plan is to make FU an all women’s college like Converse? I think she would like that.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #29252  by furpop16
 Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:10 am
apaladin wrote:
Maybe Davis’ long term plan is to make FU an all women’s college like Converse? I think she would like that.

Did you spend your paycheck in one spot last night or several?
 #29260  by Fuonetime
 Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:

Makes the figures look much worse when you take away that $500k women’s soccer gift. Maybe Davis’ long term plan is to make FU an all women’s college like Converse? I think she would like that.

10k was a modest goal. 4K was from 1 donor. Our goal imho should have been 10 times that amount or $100k. How about an extraordinary goal of one million. Shoot for the stars! GO FU!
 #29263  by Roundball
 Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:33 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:
Roundball wrote:
MetroMizzy wrote:

10k was a modest goal. 4K was from 1 donor. Our goal imho should have been 10 times that amount or $100k. How about an extraordinary goal of one million. Shoot for the stars! GO FU!
I hope everyone knows this is not the only day $ are donated to the basketball program. I know of several large gifts that have been made recently. Our basketball program is doing quite well with donations. Basketball is on the rise. I just hope we play this year so as to not lose the great momentum we are experiencing.