• Head Coach Bob Richey

#26700  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:00 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:58 am
This is the time that I hold my breath hoping we don't lose Coach Richey to one of the P5 schools. I know that will happen at some point, but selfishly I want him to stay at Furman a few more years. There is a lot of talk that our coach is on the short list for James Madison. Seems like a lateral move to me. The SoCon is rated higher than the CAA in the RPI. https://www.dnronline.com/dnronline/jmu ... 35f71.html
https://www.breezejmu.org/sports/six-po ... e1cb0.html

Considering the stacked team we have coming back and the fact that JMU has not had a winning season in 5 years I would call that a move down. And absolutely you are correct, the SoCon is much better than CAA, which if funny because CofC now travels all over the map to play in a worse conference :lol:
 #26719  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:52 am
If he did leave, how bad was Furman basketball that two elite coaches got promotions before even making the NCAAs?

Maybe this is my heart talking, but I really think BR wants to finish the job here first. And next year’s team looks like they will be league favorites and a candidate for an at-large spot.
 #26723  by Davemeister
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:44 am
So there is indeed a Silver Lining to the cancellation of the NIT. It may help extend BR's time at Furman.
 #26727  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 pm
Sounds like JMU is now going after Radford coach, they probably wanted Richey first but hopefully leaving Furman will require a better landing spot than a bad CAA team

#26730  by furpop16
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:25 pm
I don't know CBR any better than the rest of you - and considerably less than some of you - but unless his talk about values, life-skills, & the like has all been hot air, Coach strikes me as someone who wouldn't be satisfied without making a real mark. Leaving a legacy. As miffed as I was at Niko's departure, none of us can say he didn't leave FU a whole lot better than he found it. The remarkable turnaround will always be Niko's legacy.

Can Coach Richey say the same? Yes, he's led the team to two 25+ win seasons and the NIT - better than Niko's record - but without having reached the NCAA or even advancing in the NIT, does that fulfill the status of a legacy? My guess is that CBR wouldn't think so. With his eye for stats & trends, my guess is that Coach would say he's just maintained a trend that Niko had already set in motion.

My expectation is that Coach has high goals for himself here, and it would take an astounding offer to divert his focus. The Drakes & JMU's should just look elsewhere and not waste their time.
fufanatic liked this
 #26734  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:21 pm
Is Matt Rafferty still planning to play in Europe? Anyone heard how that is looking?
Would be great to get him here on the coaching staff at Furman one day
 #26737  by CharlieFU
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:14 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Is Matt Rafferty still planning to play in Europe? Anyone heard how that is looking?
Matt was playing in Europe before re-injuring his back. Last I heard, his playing days are over. And he is interested in coaching.
 #26738  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:42 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:14 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Matt was playing in Europe before re-injuring his back. Last I heard, his playing days are over. And he is interested in coaching.

Hope to see him at Furman on the staff if we get any openings
 #26742  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:08 pm
I have a feeling BR knows that next season Furman has a shot to do some things never done before in the program, as well as accomplish some goals that haven't happened here in some time....Plus, there will be a lot more local openings after next year that are much more attractive than say a JMU...Could be wrong, but I would assume this to be the case.
 #26743  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:41 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:08 pm
I have a feeling BR knows that next season Furman has a shot to do some things never done before in the program, as well as accomplish some goals that haven't happened here in some time....Plus, there will be a lot more local openings after next year that are much more attractive than say a JMU...Could be wrong, but I would assume this to be the case.
He has to be eyeing Clemson, right? Has spent extended time hanging around Dabo and wouldn't even have to move.
Affirm liked this
 #26746  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:47 pm
Knowing Bob a little, I believe that when he DOES move on (it’s inevitable) it will be for a P5/high-major program and a 7-figure salary...even if it takes him a little longer to build a resume for that kind of job. I’d be shocked if he left us for another mid-major for another 100k or so....
 #26747  by youwouldno
 Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 pm
Going to a subpar mid-major for a little more short-term money would be an unbelievably dumb move, which makes me doubt Richey would do it. He already has the ball rolling at Furman . . . he keeps it up a while longer and he's rich. I'd be shocked if he approached his own career without the strategy that he applies to his basketball program.
Paul C, MNORM, Affirm liked this
 #26750  by MNORM
 Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:39 am
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 pm
Going to a subpar mid-major for a little more short-term money would be an unbelievably dumb move, which makes me doubt Richey would do it. He already has the ball rolling at Furman . . . he keeps it up a while longer and he's rich. I'd be shocked if he approached his own career without the strategy that he applies to his basketball program.
How Furman responds to this success plays a huge part. If the administration and fans don't support the program in a way that makes him believe he can achieve his goals, he will leave. We all play a part in keeping this from happening.
furpop16, Roundball, bj93 and 2 others liked this
 #26751  by Roundball
 Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:21 am
Read a post on the ETSU post about their coach leaving that makes sense. Coaches in conferences like the SoCon have the added pressure of winning every game in order to have a better chance to make it to March Madness. It has to be discouraging to win 25+ games every year, but have your fate determined in a silly tournament played at the end of the year. The regular season really means very little for most mid-major teams.
 #26752  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 am
Sort of like the early days when only conference champs got invited. At one point there were only 16 teams in the whole thing I think. NC State beat Maryland in an epic ACC championship game in mid 70’s. Md was probably the second best team in the whole country but they were left out.

Incredible the change since then.

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:53 pm

User avatar What just happened?

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:49 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:39 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

by Flagman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.