• SoCon Score of Note

#23165  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:53 am
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 am
This SoCon season is going to be unbelievable and a grind for every team. I feel like the regular season winner could have more losses than normal.
Can't argue that. Currently ETSU seems to be the team to beat. Don't know how much stock to put in their win over LSU last night. LSU is not near as good as last year. Even though they were 7-2 going into that game last night they had played a pretty weak schedule with their best win being Rhide Island. With that said ETSU did dominate them especially on the boards where they outrebounded LSU by 11.
 #23302  by furpop16
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am
Sagarin's Conference Rankings this morning has the SoCon at #13, between the MAC(W) and the Missouri Valley. Apparently Sagarin finds the disparity between the east & west divisions of the Mid-American great enough to rank them separately, making it challenging to compare apples-to-apples with ranking schemes that don't; nevertheless I don't recall ever seeing the SoCon so highly regarded.
http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
 #23304  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:51 pm
Latest KenPom rankings have 3 SoCon teams ranked in the top 77. ETSU #69, Furman #75 and UNCG #77. That's pretty strong.
Affirm liked this
 #23305  by tya1
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:52 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am
Sagarin's Conference Rankings this morning has the SoCon at #13, between the MAC(W) and the Missouri Valley. Apparently Sagarin finds the disparity between the east & west divisions of the Mid-American great enough to rank them separately, making it challenging to compare apples-to-apples with ranking schemes that don't; nevertheless I don't recall ever seeing the SoCon so highly regarded.
http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
Sagarin breaks up the MAC into two divisions because they do. The MAC is the only conference that does that for basketball. A lot of people think Sagarin should list them as just one conference for ratings purpose. I suppose the SoCon was treated the same way back when it had two divisions, but I don't remember.
 #23306  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:58 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 am
This SoCon season is going to be unbelievable and a grind for every team. I feel like the regular season winner could have more losses than normal.
I kinda felt that way too until I watched ETSU a couple of games. They are very impressive and could run the table like WC did last year. Of course WC was good last year but they also had a couple lucky wins in the conference too. ETSU has size and shooting that will be hard to beat. They killed LSU on the boards. I hope I am wrong but I don't see them losing more than one or two if any. This is what being a transfer factory/destination can do for you.
 #23314  by tya1
 Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:32 pm
Wofford beat Kennesaw State 83-70. Kennesaw State was playing at home for only the third time this year.

Loyola (IL) leads Davidson 42-39 with about 12 minutes to go in the game.
The Citadel plays N.C.State and Mercer plays Florida Atlantic later today.

Andrew Taylor lead Marshall with 27 points but Northern Iowa won the game 88-80.
 #23413  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:11 pm
Not a SoCon score but a ha-ha type of score. South Carolina lost to Stetson today 63-56. Stetson was 5-9 coming into the game and had just lost to VMI 88-61 and they also lost to WCU. Gotta love it.
FurmAlum and 1 others liked this
 #23420  by FurmAlum
 Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:41 pm
I think I would pick USC to finish 5th if they were in the SoCon. Clempson 6th, or maybe the other way around. :lol:

Recent Topics

User avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by FUTex

Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:26 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:35 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.